AuthorTopic: Tales Of The Otori  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Ruby Chan

• Yet Another Anime Obsessive
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
Tales Of The Otori
« on: June 01 2005, 03:12 pm »
Has anyone read this trilogy? It's by Lian Hearn, and has these books:

Across The Nightingale Floor
Grass For His Pillow
Brilliance Of The Moonlight

I love this tirlogy, prob because it has an oriental theme about it.

My Fanfiction              AnimeFicathon             My LJ
FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
Re: Tales Of The Otori
« Reply #1 on: June 02 2005, 06:11 am »
Yeah, it's a really good series. The end of the first one, I felt was rather sad when you know who and you know who both died. Those books... they're that I hope the Japanese will agree to film them into movies someday. Who would you have as Lord Otori and Takeo? You'd need someone good (looking and at acting) ^_^.

Oh, and someone to play a good and graceful Lady Maruyama and a pretty girl to play Kaede ^_^

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #2 on: June 02 2005, 06:37 am »
Yay! Someone finally answered this topic!

Yeah, I really want them to be made into movies as well....even if it's not directed by anyone of oriental heritage. Hmm....the actors would be very hard to choose though.

Takeo - Yang Dong-Geun?
Otori - No idea whatsoever
Maruyama - Michelle Yeoh? Brigitte Lin?
Kaede - Nami Tamaki - silly, I know, but she somehow looks the part. Or the girl from House Of Flying Daggers

FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #3 on: June 02 2005, 08:53 pm »
Never heard of some of those people  :(

I do know who Michelle Yeoh is though... I think she'd be a fairly good choice, but Across the Nightingale Floor, Grass for his Pillow and Brilliance of the Moon are Japanese tales, and seeing as the Chinese and Japanese don't like each other... It'd be best to pick out some Japanese people to play the roles.

I don't know why, but I always saw Ken Watanabe playing Lord Otori in my head. He's just the guy who I always saw playing him ^_^ After seeing him in 'The Last Samurai', you can see why! I haven't a clue who could play Takeo though. As for Lady Maruyama, I have no idea. They'd probably get a fairly well-known model to ply her, seeing as she's meant to be graceful and tall and smart. And I'm just putting a name to a face when I say I think Satomi Ishihara should play Kaede.

Links to names...

Satomi Ishihara : http://www.jdorama.com/artiste.1816.htm
Ken Watanabe : http://imdb.com/name/nm0913822/

I'm still thinking about Lady Maruyama and Takeo... I don't know to many Japanese models or young boys from 16-21. lol!

___

Okay edit: Still no idea whatsoever about Takeo, which is terrible seeing as the guy would have the lead role! Okay, I've come back with a few people who I know are Japanese models, and also act...

Yuriko Ishida
Hikari Ishida
Koyuki
Miki Nakatani
Nanako Matsushima

The most well known models.actresses out of them I suppose are Miki and Nanako. Seeing as Lady Maruyama should be fairly tall, upright and elegent, either Nanako or Koyuki should take that role. I think Miki doesn't look right for a Lady Maruyama, but could make a really cool Yuki if she had black hair again and they attached some more. It's be cool to see Yuriko as Shizuka, she has the right face for it. I could only really imagine Kaede with someone like that, you know. (I'm weird, you know ^_^)

Next step... Finding Takeo... Err... Maybe I'll do that later ^_^
« Last Edit: June 02 2005, 09:09 pm by Cardwitch »

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #4 on: June 02 2005, 09:39 pm »
I like ur Kaede choice...but Ken Watanabe...I see him as more like Lord Iida in my head. You know, the eveil lord person?

But it's weird we're thinking so hard about this....we should be directors!

But about the chinese/japanese not liking each other...if that's really true (I'm not sure), I thikn they make exceptions for famous people. Afterall, BoA (Korean - and they have probs with Japanese sometimes) managed to get really high up in the Japanese singles charts....

I'm still reading book 3 at the moment...haven't had much time. But it's so cool! I think the first book was the best though, and it looks like the third will be second best. I wasn't that impressed with book 2 though.

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #5 on: June 02 2005, 10:13 pm »
Sadly the Japanese and Chinese don't get on as well as Sakura and Syaoran do...

I see what you mean about Ken... Okay, I think we should choose a well-known Japanese actor who knows how to get down and fight! ^_^ No, I think you're 100% right about Ken, hed make a great Lord Iida. Okay, so we Lord Otori to be a good fighter, well-known, and someone who is Japanese (remember it isn't the question of them liking each other, it's the question if speaking Japanese too)

I know what you mean about book two, it wasn't as interesting, but I guess it's cause I miss Lord Otori. Don't you?

You're right, we should be the directors:

---

Directed/Casting by Cardwitch and Ruby Chan

Starring:

Ken Watanabe as Lord Iida
Satomi Ishihara as Kaede
<ACTOR MISSING> as Lord Otori
<ACTRESS MISSING> as Lady Maruyama

AND...

<ANOTHER ACTOR MISSING> as Takeo
« Last Edit: June 02 2005, 10:32 pm by Cardwitch »

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #6 on: June 05 2005, 09:37 pm »
Have you noticed, we're the only two who post on this board? I left it a little while, to see if anyone else would...but they didn't! Does that mean we're the only two who've read the books?

Oh yeah, have you read Lian Hearn's profile in the books? He's fascinated with Japan too!

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #7 on: June 05 2005, 09:55 pm »
Have you noticed, we're the only two who post on this board? I left it a little while, to see if anyone else would...but they didn't! Does that mean we're the only two who've read the books?

Oh yeah, have you read Lian Hearn's profile in the books? He's fascinated with Japan too!

That's why I like him so much. I imagine he'd be thrilled if the Japanese got together to makes at least his first book into a movie. It's the sort of book that you can't change too much, isn't it? It's nice to read a book written by someone who's fasinated by the thing they're writing about.

I doubt we're the only two, the others just probably can't be bothered to post...

Still can't think of a good Lord Otori, it needs to be a ruffless fighter, but someone who can be frienly and cool, no?

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #8 on: June 05 2005, 09:58 pm »
Yup. I don't know that many japanese actors who aren't in comedies, sadly....so I'm stumped.

Maybe an english/american or other ulture that looks oriental?

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #9 on: June 05 2005, 10:20 pm »
Possible, or you could just pick that really popular Japanese ninja star. I'll try and get the name, cause I keep forgetting... But he's a good fighetr, so he'll do good. Plus, he's had a lot of experience, during the 70's and 80's, there was nothing he didn't do that wasn't ninja.

As for Takeo, I haven't a clue whatsoever!

Is there anyone else who needs someone to play them, we've agreed on a Kaene and a Lord iida...

((REPEATING CREDITS))

Starring:

Satomi Ishihara as Kaede
<ACTRESS MISSING> as Lady Maruyama

AND...

Okay, that's what we're missing. ((grabs some paper and a table)) Casting is a tough job, ni?

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #10 on: June 05 2005, 10:37 pm »
What about Jet Li, or someone like that? He's meant to be quite good.....not sure whether he could play Takeo or Lord Otori though....

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #11 on: June 05 2005, 10:58 pm »
Jet Li? Again, he's a Chinese guy... If he knew Japanese, then maybe he'd make a cool Otori. He could co-star as one of the fighters maybe. I've also heard he's quite good ^_^ No, I'm thinking of a Japanese ninja guy who I'm killing myself cause I can't remember his name! *hits self over head with lamp like Doby in HP* Come Sophie think... He was in that big movie thing!

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #12 on: June 05 2005, 11:05 pm »
Big movie thing?

I'm finding this hard...I know more chinese people than japanese.....

We ought to think about finding a Makato as well. You know, Takeo monk friend?

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #13 on: June 05 2005, 11:20 pm »
OH YES! WE HAVE TO FIND HIS BEST FRIEND!

It's okay ^_^ It's hard to tell the difference between the Chinese actrs and the Japanese ones when it comes to ninja movies. Personally, take all the Chinese people you want and stick them in the fight scenes, they know what they're doing (as long as people don't bounce off them like in the old Chinese ninja movies. That one where the Chinese guy goes to Japan and beats up all the Japanese people who were meant to have killed his teacher... It looked stupid!)

No, the guy I'm thinking about played one of the parts in that big samurai film that Tom Cruise was in (The Last Samurai), there are a few actors in there that could do the fighting scenes, or possibly play Otori or Takeo.

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #14 on: June 05 2005, 11:26 pm »
Oh, yes! That was a great film, and if we had some of those actors, they'd be fantastic! Which guy are you thinking of?

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #15 on: June 05 2005, 11:52 pm »
There are two, the one who gets his hair cut off... who played Katsumoto (Ken Watanabe) I think he'd make a great Takeo. He's quite young and he fights fairly well. We must bare in mind that Takeo is a beginner when he starts out, isn't he?  And then there was the really good fighter who keeps kicking the crap out of Tom Cruise... Even if it isn't a major role, you have to have him in the movie! He's one of the best actors/fighters in Japan!

I REMEMBER NOW! Shin Koyamada is the one who gets his hair chopped off and keeps saying 'Jolly good!' And the one who teaches Tom Cruise how to fight properly is Hiroyuki Sanada. I can't believe I forgot him... He was in Ring too. I don't know why, but I think you have have those two at least somewhere in the 'Tales of Otori' movies (if there were any) ^_^

I don't know about the monk though... can you think of someone.

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #16 on: June 05 2005, 11:57 pm »
Hmm...needs to be fairly young.....japanese/oriental looking.....and needs to look ok with no hair....nope. All I can think of is some chinese actor who I have no name for. Makoto, Makoto, wherefore art thou Makoto?

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #17 on: June 06 2005, 12:00 am »
lol! Yeah... Err... *thinks*... Lets think about it while we try and settle of a Lady Maruyama. We haven't tagged her to some yet, have we? Nor have we done one for Takeo really, or Lord Otori, I've just been making suggestions of actors who could do it, but should be stick somewhere even if they don't play it...

Where is Lady Maruyama, and where is our dear friend Makoto?

Let's think, bald Japanese men... *sigh* They've gotta be out there somewhere...

And Lady Maruyama... where's my list of Japanese models?

Offline Ruby Chan

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #18 on: June 06 2005, 12:09 am »
What about this person for Lady Maruyama?

http://www.japan-zone.com/modern/matsushima_nanako.shtml

Offline Cardwitch

• Princess of Light
  • New Fan
  • Princess of Light
« Reply #19 on: June 06 2005, 12:30 am »
She sounds good, she has the right look for the Lady and she's a good actress... That's perfect! Yeah... Add her to our cast list ^_^

_______________________________________ _

Starring:

Satomi Ishihara as Kaede
Nanako Matsushima as Lady Maruyama
<YET ANOTHER ACTOR MISSING> as Makoto

Based on the novel 'Across the Nightingale Floor' by Lian Hearn
_______________________________________ _

Where the hell is our Makoto, Lord Otori and Takeo??? I wonder if Lian Heran had an idea about who could play the monk. There are a million actors out there and not one of them I can think of to play Makoto! I can't think of any young bald Japanese men...