AuthorTopic: Sakura's Feelings: Anime vs. Manga *Warning May Contain Spoilers*  (Read 8593 times)

moezychan

This is in discussion of Sakura's feelings for Syaoran. I've been having a little reading marathon for my CCS manga and, in my perspective, Sakura has stronger feelings for Syaoran than in the anime. I'm sure that Sakura did have feelings for Syaoran, but it seems stronger in the manga than in the anime.

Please give your views on this whether in agreement or disagreement.

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
Re: Sakura's Feelings: Anime vs. Manga *Warning May Contain Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: February 27 2006, 07:25 am »
I agree with you. She was naive about the fact that Syaoran liked her at all in the anime, but I'm not sure if it's same for the manga. I haven't read most of it. I've only watched the anime. I don't exactly have the money to go and purchase every single volume (nor do I want to). I thought about placing them on hold at my local library but then, why bother? There are only slight differences. Differences which I've heard about it and know of.
Icon made by animeneko_chan @ lj.com

Forum Family

Fai and Zeldi are my cousins.
Sayora Chan is my onee-chan.
KuroPuppy and Tooya_Mizuki are my Onii-chans.
aishiteru is my Imoto-chan
suu_no_clover is my  Imoto-chan/Yin.
Lexi is my cat.

moezychan

« Reply #2 on: February 27 2006, 07:31 am »
That's not quite true. The manga doesn't have slight differences, it has major differences. For instance they show much more emphasis on the relationships, and even the card collecting is different. The anime has 52 cards (53 if you count Void/Nameless), while the manga has only 19. Also it explains how Sakura became the Card Captor.

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2006, 07:35 am »
Oh, I see. Nevermind then. -_-  Well, all I can say is that it's probably different then. You know better then I do.

Forum Family

Lexi is my cat.

Offline ~*~Lunar Eclipse~*~

• The heart is such a powerful thing...
« Reply #4 on: February 27 2006, 07:41 am »
Well I've only read the Master of the Clow manga...but I suppose thats all that really matters when it comes to relationships ^^ Sakura does seem so much more naive in the anime, and judging from the anime, I would say that she doesn't seem to feel so strongly, I mean she doesn't blush when she sees Syaoran or anything (i think) I thought she might have just liked him, not loved him. She cares for him more in the manga...I think. I don't think she likes him as much as he likes her though

Offline Miss Jenni-Maie

• Dean Winchester is tied up in my closet!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • 100% Dean Winchester Obsessed!
« Reply #5 on: February 27 2006, 07:45 am »
I agree with that statement, Moezy-chan.
I noticed that before, infact. I found that Sakura's feelings for Syaoran were rushed in the Anime. It was all of a sudden like, "Oh? Syaoran's leaving? I love him? Oki doki". -_-
Mmmkay?

I preferred the way the S&S relationship turned out in the Manga. It didn't seem as rushed and I think Sakura's feelings for Syaoran were expressed beautifully. She seeks advice from friends and family, as most would do in a situation like that and she realises her feelings for Syaoran she's had all along and tells him so before he leaves (I was super peeved when she didn't in the Anime. Stupid girl :tongue3:).
Perfect. Adorable. Loved it to death.
~--------~~--------~
Rest in peace my furry friend.
Cinnamon - November 15th, 1990 - January 21st, 2006
~--------------------~
-AV NOT made by me. Creater unknown.-

moezychan

« Reply #6 on: February 27 2006, 07:49 am »
I also agree with that Endoh-chan. It was far too rushed in the anime. Sakura really didn't show any interest in the anime until near the end, but in the manga she blushed, and cared for Syaoran in the way that you would care for someone you're in love with.

Offline aishiteru

• dedicated to animes & asian dramas
  • Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #7 on: February 27 2006, 12:38 pm »
i agree with moezy-chan, also. in the anime, syaoran goes and spills his heart out to sakura and she's just like.. "what do i do now? let me avoid him at all costs and wait a day or two when i find out he's leaving" and then when she finds out he's leaving it's like BAM! "i love him!". it was definitely too rushed. the anime should have given sakura more time to realize her own feelings instead of just springing it on us randomly.

maybe my take on the falling in love part of the anime version of ccs was a little too extreme now that i reread it. hah.
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Hypercrabby

• All Your Syaorans are Belong to us
  • Big Fan
  • A Syaoran fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 27 2006, 01:24 pm »
Yeah, I have to agree.
There were also more moments in the manga where Sakura seemed to have a tender expression on her face when around Syaoran or talking about him. In the anime it was just like "YAY! Syaoran-kun's here!" and that was it. Sakura seemed happy, but nothing deeper than that until the very end. It would've been nice for the anime to pause on more romantic moments, rather than just making it happy-go-lucky.

Offline bie liao

• Bishie of the moment : back on my Kamui spree
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Vampire + Love = Kamui
« Reply #9 on: February 27 2006, 01:37 pm »
I've never seen the anime, so I can't really agree with you all, but I do know that I've watched a few clips and I'm a little ticked off that it ended the way it did with their relationship.

In the manga, as Hypercrabby and moezy-chan pointed out, there were more moments where you could look at them (before Syaoran confessed and got Sakura thinking about it) and KNOW that they loved each other.  A hug here, a look there; it was enough to know that she cared for him.  I've watched the teddy bear scene and was horribly confused when she didn't say she loved him; I mean...what the heck, it was supposed to resolve itself.

Buuut, I guess they were leaving it open for Movie 2.
[ - Without a p a s t, and unable to see the f u t u r e, I am here in the p r e s e n t, believing in m y s e l f. - ]

The smile her highness gave me was so warm.  Just looking at it, I felt a warmth in my own chest.  I thought that I always, always wanted to see her smile. - Syaoran, TRC Volume 4

[ -  F o r u m  F a m i l y  - ]
Little sis - hikari_blaze ; babypigggy ; Okamirei ; wishingstarx
Big sis - Moon Li ; lilaznrycegurl ; Shiunu  ; Aya-chan
Aunt - pretty
Cousin - *+chibiwings+* ; Cherry-chan

My NEW Photobucket Account with never before seen graphics!

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #10 on: February 28 2006, 04:42 am »
movie 2 was good and all, honestly. but i would have preferred the anime as it was in the manga when syaoran came back after a year with the bear. i only think this way because the ending of movie 2 was cute and all but it was just left as a cliffhanger because you could only believe what happened in the end, the predictable part. but think about it..

didn't syaoran come back to japan only to visit? wouldn't syaoran have to go back to china since he was only a 6th grader at the time? would he move back to japan? would they be together FOREVER? i mean, the ending is open to a lot of ideas that could possibly happen.

i seriously believe that sakura should have said her feelings in the anime rather than in the movie. but that's only my opinion. or better yet, they should have followed the way the love story unfolded in the manga when they were creating the anime. i think we all would have been like.. more into it if it unfolded like it did in the manga.
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

moezychan

« Reply #11 on: February 28 2006, 04:46 am »
movie 2 was good and all, honestly. but i would have preferred the anime as it was in the manga when syaoran came back after a year with the bear. i only think this way because the ending of movie 2 was cute and all but it was just left as a cliffhanger because you could only believe what happened in the end, the predictable part. but think about it..

didn't syaoran come back to japan only to visit? wouldn't syaoran have to go back to china since he was only a 6th grader at the time? would he move back to japan? would they be together FOREVER? i mean, the ending is open to a lot of ideas that could possibly happen.

i seriously believe that sakura should have said her feelings in the anime rather than in the movie. but that's only my opinion. or better yet, they should have followed the way the love story unfolded in the manga when they were creating the anime. i think we all would have been like.. more into it if it unfolded like it did in the manga.

I'll agree with this. Between the anime and the manga I prefer the anime more, but I wish the anime would have ended like the manga. The manga gave a final ending. There was nothing to guess about, but the anime left an ending that makes it hard to interpret what happens. I need finality and the second movie didn't give me the finality I needed.

Offline Hypercrabby

• All Your Syaorans are Belong to us
  • Big Fan
  • A Syaoran fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 28 2006, 04:54 am »
Yeah, having the final moment in the anime be Sakura in midar just isn't as fufilling as her nestled in Syaoran's arms. It doesn't give you the same warmth inside as the manga did. I guess that is was agreed in advance to make two movies and the only way people would wanna watch is with a cliffhanger like that. Still, it's rather a cheap way to end a 3-season series! They gotta give the fans something.
I wonder what the 2nd movie would have been like if they had wrapped it up in the end of the series.

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #13 on: February 28 2006, 07:51 am »
I wonder what the 2nd movie would have been like if they had wrapped it up in the end of the series.

i bet a lot more people would have liked the second movie better if it didn't have such a broad ending. i mean, your mind can go in any direction with the ending of the second movie. with the ending of the manga, sakura says her feelings, syaoran leaves, they keep in contact with each other for a year, and he comes back to stay forever. it was pretty straight forward but it explained everything unlike how they ended the ccs series with the second movie.

Offline Shiunu

• I've got a hole in me pocket!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
« Reply #14 on: February 28 2006, 10:18 am »
I agree with you guys. I haven't read the manga, but it did seem like Sakura was a little rushed when she found out that Syaoran loved her. She kinda had to decide quick, but in the end I think that help her realize that she had loved him all along. I think that's kinda neat because even though she didn't know it, she loved him the whole time. Sure, she could have said she loved him like in the manga at the end. I think personally that would kind of been neat to see in the anime actually. But of course there wouldn't have been those oh so cute awkward movie 2 moments that we adore. ^^

Little Sisters: bie liao, babypigggy, Fai, and Okamirei
Fellow Beatle Fangirl: hoshisenshi ^^
Cousins: Hikari_Blaze, aishiteru, Moon Li
Me and bie liao are in love! We never give up on our guys! <3

Offline Ralea

• Passing Through Life Unnoticed
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • When will we see each other again?
« Reply #15 on: March 03 2006, 11:23 am »
In my opinion the Manga ending was better. (No honestly I enjoyed the 2nd movie, fun to watch how Sakura danced with Syaoran. :D) Yet, in the series Sakura was rushed somehow. And the ending of the 2nd movie was no better cause it was a major cliffhanger. (Literally)

In the Manga, after Syaoran declared his feelings, Sakura was helped by the people she loved so that she could find the person that she loved the most. (Duh, Syaoran.) Everyone contributed in giving her advice (which is so sweet) and she decided that she really did have feelings for him a day before he had to leave. And she told him how she felt as the bus rolled away, complete with teddy bear.

But in the anime, Sakura decides that she loved him prior a few minutes after Tomoyo's call and confirms it after making the nameless heart card. Yet, still, Syaoran was the one who gave the bear! On the 2nd movie, she only tells him her true feelings after he's been swallowed by the Void card. Thank goodness for the Hope card, or there would be no S+S at all. So she jumps and..............................

Does everyone see my point?

~Forum family~                                             
Onii-chan : Kuropuppy
Onee-chan : Sayora Chan, lika-ichi
Ate : princess kakurine
Imoto-chan : Zeldi, Monse-chan
Twin sisters : fisah, xOLight AngelxO
Cousins : sofiacardcaptors, bluetopaz
Niece : Asuka

99% of the female population all think that Syaoran is the hottest bishie ever in both TRC & CCS. 1% is me! XD If you're one of the 1% who isn't so possesive over Syaoran, and wants him to be with Sakura only, copy and paste this into your sig.

Offline Hikari B.

• "Exceptional Fan"
Re: Sakura's Feelings: Anime vs. Manga *Warning Ma
« Reply #16 on: March 03 2006, 12:55 pm »
Personally, I believe that the manga shows more emotion about how Sakura feels about Syaoran. It took her more time then it did in the anime. -_- I was also ticked off at the fact that Sakura didn't confess when Syaoran was going to leave for Hong Kong but I still love the teddy bear ending. ^^

Ralea: Yep. I was completely peeved at that short-lived ending with hardly a hug at all. -_-

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #17 on: March 04 2006, 07:11 am »
In my opinion the Manga ending was better. (No honestly I enjoyed the 2nd movie, fun to watch how Sakura danced with Syaoran. :D) Yet, in the series Sakura was rushed somehow. And the ending of the 2nd movie was no better cause it was a major cliffhanger. (Literally)

In the Manga, after Syaoran declared his feelings, Sakura was helped by the people she loved so that she could find the person that she loved the most. (Duh, Syaoran.) Everyone contributed in giving her advice (which is so sweet) and she decided that she really did have feelings for him a day before he had to leave. And she told him how she felt as the bus rolled away, complete with teddy bear.

But in the anime, Sakura decides that she loved him prior a few minutes after Tomoyo's call and confirms it after making the nameless heart card. Yet, still, Syaoran was the one who gave the bear! On the 2nd movie, she only tells him her true feelings after he's been swallowed by the Void card. Thank goodness for the Hope card, or there would be no S+S at all. So she jumps and..............................

Does everyone see my point?

yes! finally, someone who sees my view of sakura's feelings dead on! haha. couldn't have said it better myself.

although.. you said that sakura doesn't realize her feelings until before tomoyo's phone call.. wasn't it after the call when she found out he was leaving? it's like "oh no he's leaving! i love him only because he's leaving!"

it sounds like that, really.

Offline Cardcaptor Takato

• Yaoi Fanboi
  • Super Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #18 on: March 04 2006, 07:21 am »
To be honest, I didn't like the manga's ending much at all.  It would've been better without that extra epiloge, but I thought the final scene of Shaoran coming back to Tomoeda was just really cheesy and to be honest, it kind of made me mad, too.  Because Sakura was all like "Shaoran-kun's moving away and I'll never see him again!  I have to tell him I love him!" and then a few years later Shaoran finally returns and it's all like "Oh, I never told you this, but I was never going to leave for good at all and in fact, now I'm back to stay forever!  I love you Sakura, even though I put you through a lot of uneccessary emotional pain!"  I can't help but wonder if Shaoran had actually told Sakura that he was going to be back again from the start, would she have been so rushed and would she have ended up deciding she loved him all along in the manga?  Even if Shaoran couldn't tell her right then and there, why couldn't have Sakura and Shaoran at least write letters to each other like they did in the anime?  The manga's ending just makes me feel like Shaoran had an ulterior motive behind not ever telling Sakura he was going to return.  Even if he couldn't tell her right when he was leaving, he could've at least called Sakura or wrote a letter to her or something like they did in the anime.  And I don't think Sakura's feelings were rushed in the anime.  Remember Eriol already knew Sakura was in love with Shaoran even before she realized it.  So, it wasn't really so much that she didn't love Shaoran until he left in the anime but it was more of Sakura didn't realize she loved him until he left.
When her leathery, crow-footed face turned towards my raised hand and said, “Yes, the boy in the Sailor Mercury t-shirt,” I sprung into action. It took me a brief 20 seconds to acquire the bokken (wooden sword) I had secured to the underside of our chairs with duct tape the night previous. Shouting “Japan BANZAIII!” in the manner of those noble kamikaze pilots from the War of United States Aggression (so tactlessly referred to in your history books as “World War II”), I charged the stage, bringing down the bokken forcefully onto the plywood table in front of Tiffany Grant. It was a tragic mistake not to channel my ki correctly. The bokken splintered into a thousand pieces, leaving me with no other plan of attack besides shouting, “You’re no Asuka!” as two Ohayocon toughs escorted me out of the room-SomethingAwful.com

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #19 on: March 04 2006, 09:45 am »
I've read in fanfictions that Syaoran was never allowed to contact anyone while he was training, or being busy with his work. His mother is rather strict. Besides that, Sakura was willing to wait for him.. no matter how long it takes. Since she knew in her heart that if they wanted to see each other again, that they would. We don't know for sure if she was in pain over the fact he was leaving. Probably, but, like I said, she was willing to wait knowing it was going to be some time before he would return. I've read the ending before and yes, she had doubts of never seeing him again but her friends supported her and gave her hope that one day she would indeed see him. The manga ending was probably aimed toward girls that like that closure of, his back, she's happy, they hug, the end. But I do agree what you said about the anime.

Forum Family

Lexi is my cat.