AuthorTopic: Captain America...is DEAD!!!  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
Captain America...is DEAD!!!
« on: March 08 2007, 12:08 pm »
Originally Posted by Fox News

One of America's most patriotic superheroes has died.

Marvel Entertainment killed off its oldest character, Captain America, in a comic book that hits stands Wednesday.

In "Captain America" No. 25, the former World War II soldier is gunned down on the steps of a courthouse by a sniper's bullet, a victim of a war on terror.

"We've had deaths in the Universe, but with Cap being our oldest character, it gives it a little more resonance," Dan Buckley, the president and publisher of Marvel Entertainment's publishing group, told FOXNews.com.

The decision has already angered the character's creator, Joe Simon, who told the New York Daily News that the death comes at a time when "we really need him now."

In the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Captain America embodied the ideals of the Greatest Generation, standing as a pillar of morality and honesty — doing the right thing at the right time, Buckley said.

In the comic's lore, this hero was born Steve Rogers on Independence Day, 1917, in New York's Lower East Side. Growing up a scrawny illustrator, Rogers enlists in the U.S. Army, where medical testing turns him into a super soldier against the Nazis.

"Then he was put in a deep freeze, and he was re-awoken in a different time," Buckley said. "So he's always felt a little misplaced, but he kind of represents the Greatest Generation."

The storyline was hatched last March, when writers pitted superheroes against one another in a war over civil liberties that began with the U.S. government requiring the comic crusaders to register their secret identities.

"He sacrifices himself to save someone else, so it really stood up to the ideals that he stood for all along," Buckley said.

Despite the character's demise, Marvel Entertainment plans to continue marketing its Captain America action figures and the superhero will still be available for public appearances.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
Re: Captain America...is DEAD!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08 2007, 03:53 pm »
Captain America...dead? what were they thinking?! >:(
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.