AuthorTopic: Questions concerning Tokyopop's release of the manga  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
Questions concerning Tokyopop's release of the manga
« on: October 03 2006, 06:07 am »
It's finally happening. I'm buying the entire CCS manga (well, I am not - my birthday's coming up... Fufufu)! But first, I have a few questions regarding Tokoypop's translation, just so I will know what to expect.

Sakura's trademark words... Have I got my facts straight - that they are translated as "phwee" and "meow" respectively?

Are Tomoyo's ohohoho's changed?

According to Wikipedia, the English translation has almost the entire cast calling Yukito "Yuki". Which, if it's true (Wikipedia isn't THE most reliable source there is, after all) is kind of... evil. Is it true?

Any important dialogue changes? For example, Tomoyo's "confession" of love, Rika and Terada's relationship etc?

Lastly, hm, one could never dare to dream that they keep the suffixes...?

Don't get me wrong - I will buy all volumes, changes or no changes. I'm just trying to set my expectations to a reasonable level.

Big thank in advance.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline Moro-dashi

• New Fan
  • Hyuu ~ <3
Re: Questions concerning Tokyopop's release of the manga
« Reply #1 on: October 03 2006, 06:11 am »
I stopped buying the manga after I stopped being able to buy them as individual comics instead of just graphic novels o_o I loved having them cause the covers are so pretty. I'll pull them out of my dusty comic box for you when I get home :3

Aw! They like each other! <3

Forum Family
Sightless - Mama!

Offline Smile_For_Me

• Smile For Someone you love
  • cRAzY fan
  • Before it all goes wrong again............
« Reply #2 on: October 03 2006, 06:47 am »
There are two Versions of CCS Manga, the American way, with Tomoyo's name as Maddison, Yukito as Julian, Touya as Tori...etc. The other Version is the orginal Manga, Tomoyo is Tomoyo and what no, and yes Tomoyo's evil laugh is in there as well. I have yet to get the full collection, but becareful in which ones you buy. Hope this helps
CLAMP HAS KILLED ME

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 03 2006, 06:50 am »
Okay...let's take the questions one at a time:

1) 'Phwee' was used in the translation since in the United States, 'Hoee' may have been misinterperted as slang for a female prostitute.

2) Yukito is used mostly in the translation. Touya referred to him as 'Yuki' quite a bit as did Kero...kind of as a personal reference to a close friend.

3) The love interests as decribed in your question are very much intact, as was the so-called attraction between Syaoran and Yukito (Book #7 when it was explained his attraction was caused by the magicks of Clow)

4) Suffixes seldom used except in some scenes. It is explained how they do have their place in the story, especially when Sakura and Syaoran get to be close friends.

5) When you get the first six books (Cardcaptor Sakura) make sure you buy the re-released boxsets (boxset 1 contains 1-3 while the second 4-6) since they are done as authenic manga. The original release were smaller and flipped.

There are two Versions of CCS Manga, the American way, with Tomoyo's name as Maddison, Yukito as Julian, Touya as Tori...etc. The other Version is the orginal Manga, Tomoyo is Tomoyo and what no, and yes Tomoyo's evil laugh is in there as well. I have yet to get the full collection, but be careful in which ones you buy. Hope this helps
The above noted is called 'Cardcaptors Cine-Manga' and is the adaptation of the Nelvana version 'Crapcaptors'  :tongue3: The covers of these books are distinctive from the manga proper by using scenes from the anime.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 03 2006, 07:25 am »
Thank you for your answers, folks (especially Arcademan)! I will make sure to get the right release.

Quote from: Arcademan
Touya referred to him as 'Yuki' quite a bit as did Kero ...kind of as a personal reference to a close friend.

Just as it should be, then. 'Yuki' is for Touya alone to use. ...Kero, you said? o_O Oh, well.
Signifying nothing.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 03 2006, 07:32 am »
Thank you for your answers, folks (especially Arcademan)! I will make sure to get the right release.

Just as it should be, then. 'Yuki' is for Touya alone to use. ...Kero, you said? o_O Oh, well.

Kero called him Yuki on a few occasions around Sakura, otherwise he does also call him Yukito...and Yue and Snow Rabbit of course :)

"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 08 2006, 04:18 am »
The above noted is called 'Cardcaptors Cine-Manga' and is the adaptation of the Nelvana version 'Crapcaptors' :tongue3: The covers of these books are distinctive from the manga proper by using scenes from the anime.

Sorry to be a bother, but I need some clarification... If the cover I buy sports a manga picture, I should be on the safe side, correct? See, this picture confuses me, since it's clearly a manga image, but the volyme looks flipped... The site claims it's unflipped, but it looks so strange. =/
Signifying nothing.

Offline Capella

• The Ashura family owns my soul
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #7 on: October 08 2006, 07:55 am »
Sorry to be a bother, but I need some clarification... If the cover I buy sports a manga picture, I should be on the safe side, correct? See, this picture confuses me, since it's clearly a manga image, but the volyme looks flipped... The site claims it's unflipped, but it looks so strange. =/

That's the side of one of the boxes, not the book itself, so that's probably why it looks flipped. The box has pictures on both sides, and the site happened to show the side that makes it look left-to-right. The manga volumes inside should be unflipped (they definitely are in mine).
TheĀ  "Remember Hideki" Campaign: Chii's one and only "someone just for me."
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 08 2006, 08:00 am »
Okay then. With the invincible spell of our lovely heroine in mind, I will hope for the best and purchase the box. Thank you for your help!
Signifying nothing.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 08 2006, 08:22 am »
That is the Official 100% authenic manga release by TOKYOPOP. The back side is shown in the picture as the other side shows Sakura swinging in on a note with the microphone stand in hand (the shot of the boxcover is from the CCS Character Songbook CD)

Trust me as I own the boxsets (one and two) and I do have ties with TOKYOPOP per my signature :)

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 08 2006, 08:26 am »
Oh, I never doubted you, Arcademan (or anyone else who has responded in this thread). I'm simply a very sceptical and careful person when it comes to buying things over the Net. :sweatdrop:
Signifying nothing.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 08 2006, 08:29 am »
Oh, I never doubted you, Arcademan (or anyone else who has responded in this thread). I'm simply a very sceptical person when it comes to buying things over the Net. :sweatdrop:

No problem and sometimes it does pay to be skeptical when it comes to purchasing online since most people like to deal with people face-to-face and see the product at hand when they're buying something. Enjoy the books :)

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 19 2006, 05:20 am »
Hm, just figured I'd tell you all how it went before letting this thread rest forever in peace. :keke: Well, I got my precious volymes this morning, and they are more than I could ever dream of. Sakura does say "hoe" (though not "hanyaan") and the suffixes seem to have been kept close to all the time. Not even the fact that I have about a zillion things to do this week and really don't have the time to sit and flip through my new manga can spoil this glorious day!
Signifying nothing.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 19 2006, 06:09 am »
Congratulations on getting the CCS manga. You'll enjoy it lots and please feel free to discuss it here in the CCS sub-forum :)