AuthorTopic: How did manga/anime come into your life?  (Read 13315 times)

Offline suu_no_clover

• Syaoran shipper. Beware the OTP. >:E
  • "A True Fan"
  • Listener; Lurker; 'Lol'-er.
Re: How did manga/anime come into your life?
« Reply #40 on: December 28 2005, 06:01 pm »
It was probably from coming home from 1st grade everyday to watch Sailor Moon on UPN. :hehe: Until they cancelled it in 2nd grade. *gasp* 7 years already? Didn't know it was anime back then. I was also obsessed with My neighbor totoro and kiki's delivery service then too.

Then my like of it came back when Pokemon hit the air. I had no clue what it was, accept that it came after what I called "this weird girly show" called Cardcaptors, that I always woke up too late to watch. I kind of regret it, looking back, having missed the "cardcaptors" travesty. Didn't know it was anime then, either. It wasn't until 4th grade when I spotted a book with a familiar title at the library.
Me: Hmm... "cardcaptor sakura"... *reads the back* Hey! She's my age! *grin grin*
And the rest is history.
~*~sparkly signature goes here~*~

Livejournal // Last.FM // MyAnimeList

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 01 2006, 10:03 am »
TimeMachine. What show is that!?
by the sounds of it you just didn't like what you saw (dubbing had nothing to do with it)
Dubbing in fact is only a partial reason some people don't like shows (Like saying they prefer the french version of the Simpsons, sometimes it doesn't matter at all)

Lol, it was Sailor Moon. It was the episode where Mercury shows up.

And really what I hated more than the action was the cheezy lines and whiny voices. The irrationality of the images just kind of added to it. It reminded me a lot of Power Rangers, which I had outgrown about a year earlier (but before I outgrew it, I must say, YELLOW RANGER ROCKED!!!)

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #42 on: January 04 2006, 04:54 am »
ah.. Power rangers... White Ranger was my hero! I was also crushing so big over the Pink Ranger (while it was still Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson))

I feel like watching my first anime again.. Dirty Pair Flash, My first ever bought Anime :D I've rebought them all now on DVD.. PLUS the 3rd series which I could never find anywhere on Video. yay
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

Offline Tessaiga

• Subaru's Wife
  • cRAzY fan
  • My avatar says it all...
« Reply #43 on: January 06 2006, 04:26 am »
Of couse, Sailor Moon was my first anime. And like everyone else, I had no idea what it was. I thought it was scary, and that their eyes were too big. Years later, we got german TV-channels on our TV. On RTL2, they showed something called "Moon Toon Zone"(:rotfl:) which showed Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball and Pokémon. With help from that channel, I learned more about what it was, and they started broadcasting more animes there!
And yeah yeah... :heh:
Quote from: French Soldier of Monthy Python
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I f-a-r-t in your general direction!!! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

I would tell you Sei-Sub fangirls the truth about the "couple", but since I've got more life than that, I'll allow you to be inzane. And I lol at you. Lololololololololol.
And with this, I leave. Fohevah

Det är så härligt att gå i solen, och äta hallon med dig~ Men det vet du inget om, för du förstår inte svenska!... VA?! Du fattar? Hej! Kul för dig!

________________Forum Family________________[/color]
Zeldi
  Ichiranseisouseiji Enzerubebi Otohime
VexNet
  Nii-san
suu_no_clover
  Sumeragi Onmyouji Chibi
moezy-chan
  Itoko-chan

Offline LSD

• - DECEASED -
  • "Exceptional Fan"
  • SHUT UP VOICES or i'll poke you with a Q-tip again
« Reply #44 on: January 08 2006, 12:59 pm »
Since i read loveless a new passion for manga is comming to my life.

((siggy made my me.. be nice.. its the first shit i make that actually turns ok- ))

Offline Briar Rose

• La Vie Boheme!
« Reply #45 on: January 08 2006, 01:40 pm »
The first anime I saw was Speed Racer, back when I was about three or four. I remember watching it when I was trying to fall asleep in my mom's room, and wondering why the words didn't fit the lip movements perfectly.

I actually didn't get into Sailor Moon when I was little. It just didn't interest me. I love it now, though. XD

The thing that actually got the word "anime" into my vocabulary was Pokemon. I started researching it on the internet and found out that it was an anime, and then Cardcaptors started airing, and I liked that. So, I reached that, and found out that it was also an anime, too.

And then, I started really, really wanting some of the original Cardcaptor Sakura stuff, and one day, my mom and I were at a bookstore, and someone had left the first volume of a CCS manga with the cookbooks (where my mom was looking), and so I got that. And the obsession began...

Offline Sarah Jane

• <3 .Skönheten och odjuret. </3
  • New Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 08 2006, 02:04 pm »
This is going to be long. ^^;

So, I liked Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Digimon.
And I didn't know that they were anime, just cartoons you know.
*Shudders at my naiveity.*
Anyways, I was 11 years old, and I was flipping through channels.
When I came to Teletoon. I saw this show starting, and it looked familar.
Though I never knew why it was, or when I happened to see it.
So, as you can guess, it was Cardcaptors. :)
And I watched it, got hooked on that episode.
Did some research on the computer... became obsessed.
Watched it, and the rest became history.

Now I'm a crazy anime obsessed otaku fan person. <3

Offline Sohru-san

• Sakura Syaoran Li
  • Good Fan
  • "I love Syaoran! Syaoran, you're my #1!"
« Reply #47 on: January 19 2006, 03:16 pm »
A friend of mine introduced me to Ranma 1/2. I searched it on the Internet and then I was introduced to manga. I believe the same thing happened with Sailor Moon because Sailor Moon was the first one I saw.
Anime Dreams - An Anime Role-play site that involves CardCaptors Sakura and Tsubasa!

Precious Memories - The younger version of Syaoran and Sakura in TRC RPG, Card Captors Sakura Continues  RPG, Revelations - The pairings include MeilingxSyaoran, TomoyoxEriol, SakuraxYukito, etc. RPG

Offline Cherry tiger

• Supporter of C!S+S
  • Obsessed Fan
  • I cannot fathom it, honestly...
« Reply #48 on: January 20 2006, 12:40 am »
I can't remember what was the first anime I really watched. All I remember was that I liked shows that were anime, but I really didn't know it was anime then. Shows like 'Speed Racer', 'Samurai X', 'Ninku', 'You're Under Arrest' and 'Akazukin ChaCha' were some of the few series that I'd try never to miss.

Then came 'SailorMoon'. I loved it and would buy cards and stickers related to it. But I still never knew it was anime and never knew I had an attraction to these kind of shows.

It wasn't until 'Cardcaptor Sakura' did I realize how much I enjoy anime. When CCS ended, I was distraught and couldn't believe that it ended just like that. So I searched up online and that's when the world of anime opened up to me.

Believe it or not, I never really noted manga's existance until Tsubasa came. I guess I never realized how different the manga and anime can be, (after all I enjoyed both the anime and manga of CCS and always thought that both can be truly enjoyed) so when Tsubasa first came (and since I was obsessed with S+S) I caught up with the manga first and since then have been collecting other types of manga besides CCS and Tsubasa. ^^

cute little sis:Goku[cardcaptors_ria]
cousin: yume-chan

Need singers to sing my english version of any songs! Check out this blog to see the list of songs you can sing from and please contact me if you're interested! Thanks!

My fanfictions@My Music Videos (on Youtube)@My Myspace@My LJ

Offline cardcaptor~x

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #49 on: March 26 2006, 10:31 pm »
anime/manga came into my life back when i was in my old hometown.I was like 9-10 years old but card captor was the first anime/manga i liked the most:)

The Cards will all be captured!!!!!

Offline wishingstarx

• ~//Kaze//~
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #50 on: March 27 2006, 12:28 pm »
Well, I liked Pokemon, Digimon, CardCaptors, and SailorMoon...when i was little (about 6 or 7 ^_^). My best friend, Mikki
introduced me to it in first grade... ^_^ Plus, as soon as I turned eight, my family had to move to Japan, because of my dad's job...where i really got into anime/manga...now I'm back in the states, but I kept the hobby... I don't know where Mikki lives now, but I guess she's the reason why...^_^

"Maybe the wind can take us, as it blows along."

Watashi no Forum Kazoku:
imouto-chan: Okamirei, suu_no_clover, Moonflower121, Star Wings
onee-san:  bie liao, Kumiko, minty, Aya-Chan, Shiunu, Ashlee, littlekitty, ~Emethyst~

Offline Senefen

• Super Fan
  • Chemicals imbalance, who needs them anyway?
« Reply #51 on: April 03 2006, 11:51 am »
Pokemon HA HA HA! First acceptable anime was Evangelion.
I redeme myself a little, it was CCS that got me into manga.

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #52 on: April 03 2006, 03:11 pm »
Eh, I haven't posted here before. Eh, Sailor Moon seems to be the Gateway Anime of choice. And it was also the first anime I watched. At about the same time I also watched Gundam Wing and Dragon Ball Z, but they weren't nearly as good. Sailor Moon was also the first manga I read- the bad flipped Tokyo Pop translations. I remember how excited I was when I got my SM subbed- so beautiful. After that, my next anime was Evangelion, and it's taken off from there.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Hypercrabby

• All Your Syaorans are Belong to us
  • Big Fan
  • A Syaoran fanatic
« Reply #53 on: April 03 2006, 04:57 pm »
I watched Pokemon, of course. Then Sailor Moon, then Toonami. I found some Sailor moon mangas and have been addicted(particularly to shoujo) ever since. While anime on tv was still being heavily censored, the mangas weren't nearly as much and that made me take anime more seriously. I saw CCS dubbed and tolerated it, because it seems like a LOT of animes were just as badly dubbed. I bought CCS subbed and was converted to watching anime subbed only...that is...until Adult Swim came around and translating got better. ^^;

Offline Shiunu

• I've got a hole in me pocket!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
« Reply #54 on: April 06 2006, 10:38 pm »
I first started watching Sailor Moon when I was like 10 or 11. I loved it sooo much! I couldn't begin to describe how much I was obsessed with that. :sweatdrop: I collected like everything of that and like never missed an episode. Until I got the internet, I never really knew it was japanese animation. Then on cartoon network, later on, they started showing other shows and I began to like those as well. So Sailor Moon started me off onto this big anime/manga spree.

Little Sisters: bie liao, babypigggy, Fai, and Okamirei
Fellow Beatle Fangirl: hoshisenshi ^^
Cousins: Hikari_Blaze, aishiteru, Moon Li
Me and bie liao are in love! We never give up on our guys! <3

Offline ~Bloody_Rose~

• *cough* CAAAAAANNNOOOOONNN!!!!
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • *cough* CAAAANOOOOON!!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 06 2006, 11:00 pm »
When I found out about TRC in the internet.. I think it was about 2003... i was researching for chobits but i don't know what came to my mind and i researched for Tsubasa... then i saw it! *wow! talk about Hitsuzen!* and from the day i saw it, i  promised to myself that im going to buy TRC

Forum Family:

Big Sis ~ bluetopaz, aya-Chan, moezy-chan                           Forum Husband ~ Kuro-Puppy :noteworthy:
Lil Sis ~ cardcaptors_ria, babypiggy, kudan                 'Kino no Tabi Lover' sis ~ Zeldi :inlove:
Tamer~ tsukihime                 Daughter: Modo-rashi
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hypercrabby

• All Your Syaorans are Belong to us
  • Big Fan
  • A Syaoran fanatic
« Reply #56 on: April 07 2006, 11:09 am »
When I found out about TRC in the internet.. I think it was about 2003... i was researching for chobits but i don't know what came to my mind and i researched for Tsubasa... then i saw it! *wow! talk about Hitsuzen!* and from the day i saw it, i promised to myself that im going to buy TRC
I remember discovering TRC on some old CCS site. It was odd, because I was wishing and wishing that CLAMP would do a sequel...anything about Syaoran! And so fortune smiled upon me, and Syaoran was a star. Not only that, he was older, making it less creepy that I was obsessed with a character that was originally 11. ^^;
That day I found out was a memorable day, since I had a smile on my face the whole time. ^_^

Offline Asuka

• The resident Orange Juice squeezer
  • New Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 11 2006, 05:37 pm »
obviously. my first anime was Sailor Moon, though I get the feeling it could've been something else...whatever.  :sweatdrop:
I didnt know it was anime back then.

Then came Pokemon, I was OBSESSED with this show, I love collecting the cards and everything.
but I still didnt know it was anime

*many anime series' later*

I was watching the ending of FLCL, i couldnt believe it was the end of the series it just feel right! so I went online to find out if there was another series and BOOM! I discovered anime   :XD:

Older Sis~Cherry-Chan
Aunty~ Ralea

Offline Elazul

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #58 on: April 14 2006, 01:27 am »
Well, i begun watching animes when i was very young( 6~7 years old). My first anime was Saint Seiya(Zodiac Knights). It become a HUGE hit, and soon, other tv channels brought animes too, like Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest.
Some years later, animes back to tv again, and i saw series like Rurouni Kenshin, Sakura Card Captors, Medabots, Pokemon and Digimon. But now some animes got censured,(SCC escaped, thanks god ^^) 
When i got broadband internet, animes entered deeply on my life and now i have a lot of series on my pc/cds. XD

Offline kudan

• Warning: Username prone to changes. For user's safety, please use "kudan".
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #59 on: April 14 2006, 01:44 am »
Hm, I don't really remember when was the first time I saw anime... I think even before 7 years old, I saw Sailor Moon on TV, but didn't know that those big eyed cartoons are called anime. :D Then i remembered, CCS (chinese dubbed) took over the time slot of DBZ after it ended, when I was around 9 years old. Then I started to realise there's such a thing as anime and manga, when I went to a comic store by mistake, and happened to find CCS manga on sale. XD (Histuzen, definetely!) That was the first Manga I bought (book 2, because book 1 was out of stock. :X) and CCS was my first official favourite Anime. The CCS series (chinese dubbed) ended when I was around 10 - 11 years old, and when it was halfway through series 3, another channel aired the english dubbed version. I was so disgusted by the way they dubbed it and even cursed the TV station for airing it.  :lol: Then, when I was 13 years old, I found a Tsubasa comic in the comic store (Hitsuzaen again, because I rarely visit comic stores as other anime/manga series don't interest me) and yup... XD And I forgot to mention, my first Tsubasa comic was also BOOK 2, why? Because book 1 was sold out. Again. -_-
Ack! no matching sig. x_x
Avie done by Evercool-san from livejournal
http://www.yourfreespace.net/users/kudan/
LJ (Only thing left not set up - a personalised set of mood icons)
Forum Family
futago-chan: charcoalz
lil sister of DOOM: Zeldi-chan. XD
itoko-chan: Okamirei, SailorYue
imouto-chan: Møon Li
onii-san: Kuri-san
ane-san: Kairi (Ashlee), -=kuro_woof=-, ~Emethyst~<br />Master: Elysia Silvermoon (Firey)
Nightmare City
Nightmare City -Catastrophe-