AuthorTopic: Tomoeda Elementary School (Discussion)  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Kasawa Lanford

• Roleplay Extrodeiner, have a question, please ask :)
  • Administrator
  • cRAzY fan
  • Insane Story Writer Nut, CCS Fan Nut
Tomoeda Elementary School (Discussion)
« on: May 01 2006, 06:14 am »
I don't see this so I wanted to talk about it

Several things about the school that have caught me interest, one of them being the uniforms (Kawaii!!  :keke: )

And yes those REALLY turned me on when I first saw the series back in ..... oh man... (checks) 1999/2000

Anyway. Is the school a private school or public? Reason I ask is becase Sakura refer's to her big brothers school as a Private School

But what makes me believe it is a private school is her father, he's a professor (Professors make a ton of money) but also since she knows Tomoyo, who's mother also makes a ton of money

I don't know.. what do the rest of you think? (and no this isn't the only thing I plan on discussing ;) )

Thank you bLuetopaz for Siggy and Avatar! ^_^
:Forum Family:

Imoto-chan: lika-chi
Imoto-chan: OniiChanTouya
Imouto-chan: Cherry-chan
Imouto-chan: Starfire
Imouto-chan: babypigggy

:Stories:
Mark of the Catalyst

moezychan

Re: Tomoeda Elementary School (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: May 01 2006, 06:26 am »
Great idea Kasawa-kun! This hasn't been thought of before!

Well, like most American's, I found out about Card Captor Sakura through Cardcaptors, and when I saw the first episode of that I assumed that the school was private since in American culture the only schools that have uniforms are usually perochial schools, or private schools.

However this thought bugged me because even though Sakura's father is a professor, their lifestyle doesn't strike me as rich. It's possible that he doesn't have a fancy house because the majority of his money might go to both Sakura's and Touya's schools, but then again, the school doesn't seem entirely fancy for a private school.

However, and I keep contradicting myself, it does contain many uniforms for all the events:

1) Cheerleading: Sakura has 3 uniforms for that. 1 for winter practice; 1 for summer practice; and 1 for performance.

2) Gym class: 1 summer outfit; 1 winter outfit

3) Skiing: They have their skiing uniform; their lounge outfits; and pajamas

4) Field trips: they have uniforms for ice skating; swimming; and the uniform for the scary courage test

5) Choir: Tomoyo has her own outfit for that as well

6) Class uniform: one for summer and one for winter, and with matching bookbags, shoes, hat and coat

It is quite possible that they are a private school with all this supported evidence. No public school would have a uniform for every single event or activity

Offline Kasawa Lanford

• Administrator
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #2 on: May 01 2006, 09:12 am »
Thats what I was thinking when I first saw the series

What about everyone else though? Only heard from Moeazy-chan (Arigatou! ^_^)  but I would like to hear from everyone else ;)

*and if no one else replys, then I'll just move on to the next subject  :keke:*

Mark of the Catalyst

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01 2006, 10:09 am »
Forgot about the swimsuits, as the school went to the sea and an indoor water park.

I think it's a public school since many an anime series also show similar uniforms and activities. What may be an every day thing in Japan may NOT be one in the United States or many other countries :wink:

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

moezychan

« Reply #4 on: May 01 2006, 10:31 am »
Forgot about the swimsuits, as the school went to the sea and an indoor water park.

I think it's a public school since many an anime series also show similar uniforms and activities. What may be an every day thing in Japan may NOT be one in the United States or many other countries :wink:

Mm; quite possible. And yes, I did forget about those. Thank you for pointing it out. Not entirely sure if it is a public or a private. I'm being pulled between both directions on this because there's evidence to support both. We really need an expert on Japanese culture to help.

Offline D.J.P

• Sakura is Mine!!
  • Administrator
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
« Reply #5 on: May 01 2006, 10:41 am »
I know our schools out here have Uniforms regardless if its public or private
-- 'Expect the unexpected' -- Keroberos (Cardcaptor Sakura) --
-- To err is human; to really foul things up takes a computer. --
Robin Sena's Card Sets: Download Here (Last Updated: 12th May 2006 10.10PM AEST)
------------------------------------------------
I host this domain, be nice :) and Read the Forum Rules!
Avatar made by Sofiacardcaptors. Signature image by Bluetopaz
 My WoW Characters | Support CapturedWings.net | Web-Hosting Now Available

Offline aymiahfayth

• Absolutely Fantastically Wonderful!
« Reply #6 on: May 01 2006, 11:07 am »
I always thought it was public but I've always compared it with other animes where they also have uniforms like Arcademan said. But also, where I live, you have uniforms for very much the same thing and its a public school. School has 2 uniforms, Choir has 2 uniforms, cheerleading has 2, and ect... So I guess it really wasn't too much of a surprise.... (keep in mind, we have to pay for our choir uniforms and the like....)
"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."

"They say that guns dont kill people, people kill people. Well I think the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I dont think youd kill too many people. "

"Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win."

"Having the critics praise you is like having the hangman say you've got a pretty neck. "

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #7 on: May 01 2006, 11:09 am »
Is it possible that Tomoeda is just a rich public school? Because a couple of schools here aren't private and they do many of the same things and have many outfits as Tomoeda does. Tomoeda is a small town, ne? So is it possible that Tomoeda Elementary School is the only Elementary school in Tomoeda, so they put a lot of funds into it and everything? Hmm... this calls for more contemplation.
Live life. And love Syaoran. - Cherry-chan
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart
I'll try to visit as much as I can.

Rika Iiyumi

« Reply #8 on: May 01 2006, 11:31 am »
Is it possible that Tomoeda is just a rich public school? Because a couple of schools here aren't private and they do many of the same things and have many outfits as Tomoeda does. Tomoeda is a small town, ne? So is it possible that Tomoeda Elementary School is the only Elementary school in Tomoeda, so they put a lot of funds into it and everything? Hmm... this calls for more contemplation.

i think that's a definite possibility, owing to the fact that they have so much stuff...

i also noticed that the high school Touya went to was a private school, so would Sakura's school be a private school too? (because the school's are right next to eachother and all that)

moezychan

« Reply #9 on: May 01 2006, 11:43 am »
i think that's a definite possibility, owing to the fact that they have so much stuff...

i also noticed that the high school Touya went to was a private school, so would Sakura's school be a private school too? (because the school's are right next to eachother and all that)

Touya's school is private? For some reason I don't remember that. In what episode did they say that?

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #10 on: May 01 2006, 12:00 pm »
I don't remember that Touya's school was private, either. But in that case, if they're next to each other, wouldn't they be sister-brother schools? Like after Sakura graduates, she goes to Touya's school? At least, that's the case with my area. But I have no clue, it could also be possible that Touya's school was private and was next to Sakura's school, while Sakura's school is public. No clue.
Live life. And love Syaoran. - Cherry-chan
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart
I'll try to visit as much as I can.

Offline Kasawa Lanford

• Administrator
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #11 on: May 01 2006, 12:56 pm »
Episode one I think is where Sakura says that Touya's school is public (I need to buy a new volume 1, my current disk is to stractched up thanks to constant use)

I don't know if Tomoeda is the only elementary school or not, because in the Episode with Yuki (the episode where Sakura is a thief and shows the first apperence of Syaoran as a black figure)

The uniform that Yuki wears isn't anywhere near that of Tomoeda Elementary, then again, there IS the possibility that Yuki came from another town (her fathers painting just so happen's to be at that museum)

As for uniforms, I tend to believe that the school could be private, because here in Vegas the only schools that have uniforms (well, school uniforms) are private schools with the exception of a few public schools that ARE turning into uniformed schools

Edit: What I said is exclusive to private schools and a few public schools here in Las Vegas, I don't claim to be an expert since we have had two new schools open up in the past two years (one is a public school that does indeed have uniforms)

Hmmm.. what does everyone else think?
« Last Edit: May 01 2006, 02:15 pm by Kasawa Lanford »

Mark of the Catalyst

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 01 2006, 01:11 pm »
Many public schools in Arizona have uniforms now however the private schools have a uniform for every activity. In any event, the opinions I expressed in my original post still stands.

"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

Offline Kasawa Lanford

• Administrator
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #13 on: May 01 2006, 01:28 pm »
I didn't say they didn't Arcademan

Ok.. next subject. What about field trips?

For most public schools it's pretty straight forward: The district pays for those trips (some might be paid for by the place that they are headed to)

What about for Tomoeda though? Was there field trips paid for by the city or was it paid for by the parent's and other people who had there kids in that school?

Mark of the Catalyst

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 01 2006, 01:34 pm »
Re-read your post...you gave the impression it was private school exclusive.

Choose your words wisely...last person you want to get into it with is me!!!

Offline Kasawa Lanford

• Administrator
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #15 on: May 01 2006, 01:56 pm »
Choose your words wisely...

Don't worry, I will ;)

Re-read your post...you gave the impression it was private school exclusive.

read my corrections :)
I forgot to put that what I said was exclusive to Las Vegas, Nevada. I know several schools in Border City, Reno and a few other places that have uniforms for public schools

However to be honest, in the first five years, about half the public schools here in Vegas will have uniforms (due to the crime rate)

last person you want to get into it with is me!!!

HEY! Thats my line  :tongue3:
Oh wait.. this isn't a political thread... NEVERMIND!  :D

Hmmm, someone asked about japanese culture. I took the time to call up my martial arts instructor (Shotokan Japanese Martial Arts, the sensei lived in Japan for thirty years before moving to America) from what he told me MOST Public Schools have uniforms, and pretty much all Private Schools have them. The uniforms are used mainly for safety but there are other reasons

If you want me to I can have a more indepth talk with him and perhaps ask if he can write something up for me to post here.

Anyway, lets get back to the topic at hand.

Ok.. next subject. What about field trips?

For most public schools it's pretty straight forward: The district pays for those trips (some might be paid for by the place that they are headed to)

What about for Tomoeda though? Was there field trips paid for by the city or was it paid for by the parent's and other people who had there kids in that school?
« Last Edit: May 01 2006, 02:18 pm by Kasawa Lanford »

Mark of the Catalyst

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 01 2006, 02:55 pm »
The feild trips are the only thing that seemed more private school to me. Maybe it's different in Japan, but organizing a field trip tends to be expensive and difficult. There's a lot more paperwork involved when it's a public school rather than private, and these kids went on a lot of field trips. Expensive ones, too. I mean, these kids went skiing for goodness sake! And they went ice-skating, to the beach, strawberry picking, to the museum, the zoo, the aquarium...and for all of those they had special uniforms. That takes a lot of money and a lot of parental support. A publis school would have a hard time getting away with it.

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

moezychan

« Reply #17 on: May 01 2006, 10:21 pm »
Hmmm, someone asked about japanese culture. I took the time to call up my martial arts instructor (Shotokan Japanese Martial Arts, the sensei lived in Japan for thirty years before moving to America) from what he told me MOST Public Schools have uniforms, and pretty much all Private Schools have them. The uniforms are used mainly for safety but there are other reasons

If you want me to I can have a more indepth talk with him and perhaps ask if he can write something up for me to post here.

I was the one that asked. If possible, could you have your instructor explain the need for all the uniforms different activites; ex. gym, field trips...ect? It would be great if you did.

The feild trips are the only thing that seemed more private school to me. Maybe it's different in Japan, but organizing a field trip tends to be expensive and difficult. There's a lot more paperwork involved when it's a public school rather than private, and these kids went on a lot of field trips. Expensive ones, too. I mean, these kids went skiing for goodness sake! And they went ice-skating, to the beach, strawberry picking, to the museum, the zoo, the aquarium...and for all of those they had special uniforms. That takes a lot of money and a lot of parental support. A publis school would have a hard time getting away with it.

So true. I did go on many field trips when I was in school but never anything as fancy as skiing. And don't forget, they all had to have matching outfits for skiing, the lodge, and for sleeping.

Offline Cardcaptor Takato

• Yaoi Fanboi
  • Super Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #18 on: May 02 2006, 12:15 am »
I think Tomoeada Elementary could be a private school because remember Tomoyo attends there and she's the rich daughter of the CEO of a large toy industry.  Since Tomoyo even has bodyguards, I'd imagine her mother would want to send her to a private school where she could be more protected than at a public school.  Also, didn't Tomoeada Elementary  have an indoor swimming pool in the manga?  And they have a nude statue in front of their school, too.  Is it really common for public Japanese elementary schools to have nude statues in front of them?  Also, remember that the nude statue was broken in episode two but it was quickly repaired in time for the next episode.  I can't imagine any public schools having the kind of money needed to repair a nude statue solely for decoration that quickly.  Tomoeada Elementary doesn't seem to have any problems at all with Terada-sensei's relationship with Rika, either.  I know Japan has a different culture than ours but I can't imagine any public school being ok with a teacher in his 30's dating his ten year old student.
When her leathery, crow-footed face turned towards my raised hand and said, “Yes, the boy in the Sailor Mercury t-shirt,” I sprung into action. It took me a brief 20 seconds to acquire the bokken (wooden sword) I had secured to the underside of our chairs with duct tape the night previous. Shouting “Japan BANZAIII!” in the manner of those noble kamikaze pilots from the War of United States Aggression (so tactlessly referred to in your history books as “World War II”), I charged the stage, bringing down the bokken forcefully onto the plywood table in front of Tiffany Grant. It was a tragic mistake not to channel my ki correctly. The bokken splintered into a thousand pieces, leaving me with no other plan of attack besides shouting, “You’re no Asuka!” as two Ohayocon toughs escorted me out of the room-SomethingAwful.com

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 02 2006, 11:21 am »
Talking with a friend of mine who lives in Japan and describing some of the stuff about Tomoeda, she told me that though all the schools have uniforms for classes and for extra activities, it sounds like Tomoeda Elementary School is more of a private school than a public one. Also some of the things Cardcaptor Takato said in the previous post about the school and its surroundings and activities make a lot of sense. I still would like definitive proof of it but I'm now leaning toward the 'private' school than the 'public' :wink: