AuthorTopic: Magic Knight Rayearth  (Read 12547 times)

Offline Hira

• Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
Magic Knight Rayearth
« on: February 22 2006, 12:54 am »
I've been watching Magic Knight Rayearth again, recently... The first time I watched it was in Taiwan when I was only in 4th grade... Now I watch the one originally made for Japanese, wow... the openings and closings are so much better than the Chinese ones. (Yeah, you allow transformation scene to happen in Sailor Moon, but not for MKR?)

Anyway, I want to open a topic to discuss MKR partly for the sake of nostalgia... feel free to talk about it.
Yes, I know there was a thread asking for a download of MKR, but my purpose for this topic is merely to talk about the character&plot.
If there's already one somewhere else, notify me, though.
Thanks (Furio & Lankaru all the way!!)

Offline ~*~Lunar Eclipse~*~

• The heart is such a powerful thing...
Re: Magic Knight Rayearth
« Reply #1 on: February 22 2006, 01:50 am »
I've never seen MKR, but I've seen a couple episodes of Rayearth-MKRs english dub (oh why can I not get and original Japanese stuff here *cry*) so I dont know very much of the plot...Idont even know where the episodes I have seen are located in the series! It did look quite good though, I must say

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #2 on: February 22 2006, 04:41 am »
I have seen all episodes and read all 6 volumles of the manga and I must say the MKR anime is not as good as the Manga, especially the Rayearth OVA really sucked.... no offence, but it was hard to understand what was going on until you read the manga and watched the OVA several times.
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline Shiunu

• I've got a hole in me pocket!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
« Reply #3 on: February 22 2006, 09:55 am »
I really like MKR. I bought the first dvd in like 2002-2003 or something. I have yet to see all the series but I really want to. I heard its supposed to be really good. I've seen like the first 12 episodes and I've loved what I've seen so far. I really wanna watch it some more but I need to buy the rest of the dvds.. But yeah I always loved Hikaru and Umi. I couldn't ever decide which was my favorite. ^^

Little Sisters: bie liao, babypigggy, Fai, and Okamirei
Fellow Beatle Fangirl: hoshisenshi ^^
Cousins: Hikari_Blaze, aishiteru, Moon Li
Me and bie liao are in love! We never give up on our guys! <3

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
« Reply #4 on: February 22 2006, 11:28 am »
i haven't started read the manga but finished watching the entire series long ago.  I like the second season than the first one because there is Lantis.  Clef is also cute.  The plot of the story touches some theory from Jungian psychology.  The most obvious part is the concept of shadow which is portrayed in Nova's character.

Offline Hira

• Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #5 on: February 22 2006, 12:09 pm »
It's understandable, I have a friend who doesn't like the Manga, though...
Actually, he just prefers the first part of the series over the second.
I guess it's that surprise...
Show content
instead of saving the princess from the bad guys, you are supposed to kill her in order to liberate her. I was kind of surprised... then again, at that age, I was taught with the crappy value of Good vs. Evil and Good always prevail

To me, the plus in the anime is the addition of Nova makes the plot more... exciting?
Not to mention that
Show content
Alcyone, at least, has a chance for salvation/epiphany/enlightenment(?) before death

What brings about the downside of the anime for me is that
Show content
Eagle dies T_T and unlike the manga, the girls can't go back to Cephiro anymore...
I also find that there are more spells in the manga than in the anime... I really wanna hear some of the characters voicing out some of the spells in the anime.

I like MKR because it was the 1st time I got in touch with CLAMP... and it helps me getting rid of the Hero/Villain concept... Everyone is only carrying out their own wishes... makes you think, whether it's the manga or the anime.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't like the OVA, either... I felt that it wasn't as developed as the manga and anime... And some of the allies are actually villains here, and the concept behind the story is simplified, which disappoints me
« Last Edit: February 22 2006, 12:20 pm by Hira »

Offline Sabrina

• Big Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 24 2006, 05:54 pm »
I have all manga books and I have seen first episode of anime. Well, what I have read about what happined in anime (anime's 3rd season is kind  of different than manga versio and second season? what was about that plot? and then there was that OVA....hoh..oh yeah, and were first seon kind of different than manga versio?)
Well I liked manga lots of :)
Life is out of here....

Offline LSD

• - DECEASED -
  • "Exceptional Fan"
  • SHUT UP VOICES or i'll poke you with a Q-tip again
« Reply #7 on: February 27 2006, 05:52 pm »
this was one of my first animes .. and sice y sux with remembering thigs .. i cant remember if i watched all the serie @_@

my fav character was that girl of red hair.. she is so cool >< and brave.. it made me scream .. yay for woman. we rocks..! when i saw them ^^

and lantis was a little hot..
and i feft so bad for that pricess.. poor of her.. *hugs*

((siggy made my me.. be nice.. its the first shit i make that actually turns ok- ))

Offline Eriol

• Something down there....
  • Super Fan
  • ~The Reincarnated one~
« Reply #8 on: March 09 2006, 11:56 am »
Oh well,I'm little nostalgic about it but I finished watching it last 1996-1997 when I just high school student and still remembered their names even it's revised or original and my fave character also is Hikaru(Luce in Filipino version),she really no fear in every battle. :okay:
A mind is terrible thing to waste.

This is only the beginning,the beginning of the end!!

Impossible is nothing!!

Happiness is a warm puppy from Bartlett and also from Peanuts(Charles M. Schulz)

FlyFF character:
Enceladus ---->Elementalist/lvl 93(Never underestimate the power of Nature..)
SHaruhi---->Billposter/lvl 66+(It's clobbering time!!)

Offline Brad

• Big Fan
  • Puu!
« Reply #9 on: March 10 2006, 10:49 am »
I watched the first anime season and bought the manga and honestly couldn't get into it. I just felt that something was missing. The anime just seemed really slowly paced and not much going on besides the main quest. I huess it was too basic for me. Though the first opeing kicks arse.

The second series of the manga I found to be paced WAY to fast. There was no time for character or plot discussion. Everything just happened way to quickly! Only 3 volumes??? And that last page...
Show content
where they talk to the reader
really took me out of the world and was a big mistake.
Swing by my two babies, Loop: TRC & Link: xxxHolic

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #10 on: March 10 2006, 11:23 pm »
Ah yes, i agree with you Brad (refering to the spolier) I thought it was also wierd at the end too,

In Japan they are re-releasing all the Magic Knight Rayearth DVD's again and right now I really want this boxset, but it is really pricey, but anyway it's out of print

Full size pic ~ http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/04/38/BCBA-2230.jpg

Full size pic ~ http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/04/38/BCBA-2230_ADD.jpg

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #11 on: March 10 2006, 11:58 pm »
the anime was great, only too bad that some couples got like no development (Caldina and Lafarga for example), the girls didn't have a lot of spells and that you could see the transformation sequences only in the OP's and not in the anime....

those transformations really bugged the crap out of me in Sailor Moon since they took like minutes to finish and you had to watch them every ep but with MKR i was like "come on, show the transformations for godsake, they look great and they only take 10 seconds to show anyway"

definetly a lot better than other magic girl anime's and therefore gets the 2nd place in the magic girl top 5 :noteworthy:

and if you guys excuse me, i'm gonna watch some more MKR.....Go Hikaru! :D
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline Eriol

• Something down there....
  • Super Fan
  • ~The Reincarnated one~
« Reply #12 on: March 16 2006, 11:42 am »
Yeah!!!In 1st season,their armors need upgrading till they find the mashins but 2nd season(mostly this my fave one)they completed but they can automatically changed their costumes.One thing,I hate to say that the OAV got me creeps 'cause inside their mashins(I don't   
like to tell),Sigh!!!
A mind is terrible thing to waste.

This is only the beginning,the beginning of the end!!

Impossible is nothing!!

Happiness is a warm puppy from Bartlett and also from Peanuts(Charles M. Schulz)

FlyFF character:
Enceladus ---->Elementalist/lvl 93(Never underestimate the power of Nature..)
SHaruhi---->Billposter/lvl 66+(It's clobbering time!!)

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #13 on: March 16 2006, 11:46 am »
I just read the manga a few days ago. It was pretty good- not my favorite, but definitely worth reading. But the ending was awkward- really awkward. I've read a few things about the anime, and while I've been told it's good, the spoilers I've heard make me wonder if it really would be worth it. XD I'll probably end up watching it anyways. And the artwork towards the end of the series totally made me think of Angelic Layer, and I only read Angelic Layer once years and years ago. Hikaru also made me think of Misaki from AL.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 16 2006, 02:14 pm »
We'll see what it's like...I have the entire first season DVD coming soon. Once I've seen it all, I'll add my 2 cents on the subject :wink:

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #15 on: March 18 2006, 05:14 am »
Quote from: Jeannette
And the artwork towards the end of the series totally made me think of Angelic Layer, and I only read Angelic Layer once years and years ago. Hikaru also made me think of Misaki from AL.
Ah! Hikaru from MKR and the Hikaru from AL (Misaki's Angel) looks alot like each other because if you read vol.1 of the Angelic Layer Manga it states that Misaki named her Angel after the Heroine from MKR.

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #16 on: March 28 2006, 02:07 am »
CLAMP is obsessed with crossing over their own series. -_- I just read Angelic Layer, and Hikaru in AL is indeed modeled after the Hikaru from MKR. Jeez. Hikaru and Misaki are total dopplegangers of each other. And Angelic Layer is apparently also something of a prequel to Chobits, which also takes place in the same world as all but two or three of the other series CLAMP has done. Will the insanity and crossovers never end?! Yet we love them so much. NOW I have to go read Chobits. Jeez.

I'll get the MKR anime one of these days. Now I'm going to enjoy going back through Tsubasa and finding all the Angelic Layer and Magic Knight Rayearth crossovers I heard of but didn't recognize.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #17 on: March 28 2006, 04:11 am »
obsessed with crossovers...you can say that again!

just discovered a new one in TRC, Fai's homecountry (Celes) has the same name as Magic Knight Umi's Mashin
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline wishingstarx

• ~//Kaze//~
  • cRAzY fan
« Reply #18 on: March 28 2006, 09:26 am »
Magical Knight Rayearth? ^^' Haven't seen it...

"Maybe the wind can take us, as it blows along."

Watashi no Forum Kazoku:
imouto-chan: Okamirei, suu_no_clover, Moonflower121, Star Wings
onee-san:  bie liao, Kumiko, minty, Aya-Chan, Shiunu, Ashlee, littlekitty, ~Emethyst~

Offline Elazul

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #19 on: March 30 2006, 08:03 am »
Well, Rayearth is one of my favorite animes, and my favorite manga. ^^
IMO, the manga is a lot better than the anime version. The anime is much more centered in Hikaru, and because of her ''heroine syndrome'' and impulsive attitude, can make she a bit annoying...
New characters are added in anime too, some can be interesting, but others, like a main villain that was appeared in the second part of series, are unnecessary... u.u''

Ah ,The ending in manga version is better...