AuthorTopic: Korean Movies  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
  • Every man dies but not every man really lives
Korean Movies
« on: August 17 2005, 11:19 am »
I've been watching several Korean movies lately, because of all the praise they've received from the critics, and needless to say, the praise is certainly not in vain. There's some really amazing cinema in South Korea. Although reading all the subtitles is a pain if you don't know Korean, it offers an interesting insight into a culture that seems like a combination of Japanese and American. Here are a couple of the best Korean films I've seen.

Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo
Title translation: "Waving the Flag of Korea."  This is arguably the best war film of all time. Nations do not fight wars, citizens do, and this film powerfully drives that point home. In 1950's Seoul, Lee Jin-Seok (played by young Korean actor Won Bin) and his older brother Lee Jin-Tae (played by Korea's most popular actor Jang Dong-gun) are enjoying a strong family life of perfect happiness. Suddenly, they find their lives turned upside down as soldiers of the South Korean government seize them, all men aged 18 to 30 are taken, and they are forced to take up arms, despite their lack of training, against the suddenly approaching North Koreans in their sneak attack that starts the Korean War. On one brutal battlefield after another, the bonds of family are put to increasingly demanding tests as Jin-Tae – originally driven by his responsibility to protect his younger brother – continues to further exhaust his physical and emotional prowess despite the protests of Jin-Seok. He learns that he is a good soldier, one with a talent for inspiring others as well as an unanticipated thirst for killing the enemy. Eventually, these two brothers – once bound by a love for family – find themselves at odds within this new brotherhood of war, and the pressures to prove one another continue to exact heavier and heavier tolls as the war escalates. As circumstances evolve, the brothers inevitably find themselves on opposite sides of a losing conflic, and they must find a path to redemption and reconciliation that can save both of them. I highly recommend this film because it really shows how true bonds of love and loyalty can never be broken.  This is the war movie that war movie fans have been dreaming about, and the movie that will get non-war movie fans into war movies. I give it a perfect 10/10.

Shiri
The title of the film refers to a fish found in Korean fresh-water streams. At one point one of the main characters has a monologue wherein he describes how the waters from both North and South Korea flow freely together, and how the fish can be found in either water without knowing which country it belongs to. This is the central theme of the movie. An elite group of North Korean soldiers are put through a brutal training mission. Under the auspices of their commander, Park Mu-young (played by popular Korean actor Choi Min-sik), they will be sent into South Korea as "sleeper agents" to be reactivated at some later date. The most promising of the group is Lee Bang-hee, a female sniper who systematically kills several key South Korean government figures over the next few years. Meanwhile, South Korea's OP Service is searching for Lee. The agent in charge of her case, Yu Jong-won (Han Suk-kyu) has nightmares about her murdering both him and his partner, Lee Jang-gil (Song Kang-ho). Yu is also currently engaged to Myung-hyun (Kim Yoon-jin), the owner of a fish and aquarium supply store with a mysterious history. They are happy together, but Yu is worried that he cannot tell Myung-hyun about the real nature of his job due to his security clearances (as far as she knows, he has a bureaucratic desk job). Ultimately, the case becomes far more than Yu and Lee would ever have imagined, and they begin to question the idea of a friend or enemy, because it is only the circumstances of the world around them that made North and South Korea enemies. It is a very philosophical movie with a touching ending, so I also recommend it. I give it a 9.5/10.

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
Re: Korean Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 18 2005, 01:49 am »
I am being to get into Korean movies too, though I have never heard of those 2 movies you lisited.
So far I have only watched 2 Korean movies which are horror... "A Tale of two sisters" & "Phone"

"A tale of two sisters" is so cool and one of the best horror movies. It is about 2 girls moving into a house with their step mother & father. During their stay strange supernatural things start to scare them or maybe it was their step mother.....???? Anyway I shut up before I plot a spolier.

"Phone" is also cool too, though not as good as "A Tale of two sisiters", Phone is about a girl name ju-won who keeps on getting strange phone calls even after changing houses & phone numbers. When a young child named Young-ju recieved a phone call from Ju-won's phone, it started to effect her behaviour..... and I guess I will shut up too, before I plot in another spolier, but these 2 films are recommended if you love Korean horror!

So Adarian, if you recommend those films then I may consider getting them ^_^
I also might get Arham (Spelling?) and Oldboy too ^_^
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline Alexiel

• Formerly Angelic-Essence
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #2 on: August 18 2005, 01:57 am »
Let Li isn't Korean... he's Chinese... unless he suddenly changed nationalities o_O

I love My Sassy Girl and Crazy First Love. they're recommendations as well as personal favs

Offline forever_SnS

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #3 on: August 20 2005, 07:13 pm »
hehehe I love my sassy girl too! Also I recommend Windstruck! But beware you better have a box of tissue next to you if you're watching this one... I also like 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant and He Was Cool.... they're both really funny!

Offline aishiteru

• dedicated to animes & asian dramas
  • Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #4 on: August 20 2005, 08:53 pm »
i want to watch my sassy girl. i'm probably like the only one who hasn't watched it. `=T
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 22 2005, 02:12 pm »
My Sassy Girl was a very charming movie, I recommend it. They're even making an American remake of it.

I heard Windstruck was really good and have been dying to see it, but I can't get a hold of the DVD.  I haven't seen Phone, but A Tale of Two Sisters was a very good horror movie. I also haven't seen Arham, but Oldboy is an utterly disturbing movie. The plot is very deep but the scenes of violence (including rape and torture) and pervasive foul language kind of ruin it. It's about a very mentally disturbed man suddenly being kidnapped and locked away for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, he soon finds out that not only his kidnapper has still plans for him, but that those plans will serve as the even worse finale to the 15 years of imprisonment. It's an overall a good movie, but I'd much recommend Taegukgi and Shiri over it. I know that most Koreans dislike Oldboy because of the offensive material, but Taegukgi is still hailed as a masterpiece over there.

Offline Bao_Nhia_Yang

• Great Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 26 2005, 10:04 am »
ahahha i wanted to watch korean movies.. but then i never got the chance to.. cause i'm not a movie person...

my sassy girl..
firebird...
stairway to heaven..
winter sonata...
autumn love story..
summer scent..
(i heard a spring is coming out too!! :D)
full house..

i think that's all i know.. :P these are the ones my friend suggested i should watch..

Offline Alexiel

• "A True Fan"
« Reply #7 on: August 26 2005, 11:53 am »
I didn't even finish seeing Winter Sonata yet... Stairway to heaven i never saw the subbed so i stuck with chinese subs instead *-_-* summer scent i have but is yet to watch. lol!

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #8 on: August 26 2005, 12:50 pm »
i REALLY want to watch my sassy girl but i don't know anyone who has it!! is it possible to download it?
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline ani

• A Syaoran Fangirl .. ^___~
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 26 2005, 01:49 pm »
^^ I've watched Windstruck, My Sassy Girl and My Crazy Love.. ^^
Really great and heartwarming stories.. ^^ Great twists.. :P

umm.. aishiteru try using LimeWire or one of those sharing Programs.. :S

Offline Alexiel

• "A True Fan"
« Reply #10 on: August 26 2005, 01:59 pm »
I don't really know... sorry! My brother does all the searching for these shows. lol! but yeah, you can try those p2p programs. i recommend getting one of them from sites like http://download.com/ just search for a software name and you'll get the results you may like. ^^

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #11 on: August 26 2005, 08:20 pm »
thanks!

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #12 on: August 31 2005, 04:50 am »
Cool it looks as though I'll be looking forward to my sassy girl if you lot will recommend it.

Anyway I thought I will say that has anybody heard of the Korean horror movie called "The Ghost"?
It came out on DVD in the UK yesterday and basically when I looked behind the DVD for abit of info, I thought it was totally cool that it was Korean... lol, I thought it was Chinese or Japanese when I first saw it. I was about to buy it, but I didn't have any money and also I was thinking twice about buying it just incase it turns out crap since I had absoultly no idea whats it about.
So if anybody has seen "The Ghost" please tell me what you think about it & say whether you liked it or not.

thanks

Offline forever_SnS

« Reply #13 on: September 04 2005, 02:23 pm »
Yeah you should watch My Sassy Girl!

I also watch The Botherhood of War starring Won Bin and I don't know the other brother's real name. I wasn't very interested but Won Bin played his part well!

Offline Director of Music

• Musicians Make Better Lovers
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Department of Diagnostic Medicine
« Reply #14 on: September 06 2005, 03:10 am »
Korean movies are awesome.  Well im korean so XD but my favorites are, My Sweet heart My Darling, (very complicated story line) Winter Sonata, and My Sassy Girl! ^^

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 08 2005, 11:54 am »
The Brotherhood of War was kind of an edited-down version of Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo unless you watch it in Korean with subs because the English dub was kind of messed up, so maybe you didn't see a good version of it. They kind of butchered the title as well by changing it to something less meaningful.

And I thought Won Bin was okay, but his acting was too exaggerated and unnatural at times especially in the middle of the movie, though, he did extremely well at the end, and it was very moving  when his brother gives him the pen because their acting is so perfect  (you'll understand when you see it). Jang Dong-Gun did a much better job as the older brother. His performance even puts guys like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson to shame, and he won awards internationally for his performance in Taegukgi.

Offline forever_SnS

« Reply #16 on: September 10 2005, 02:19 pm »
Forrealz he won that for his role! hehehehe no it's not that's it's bad or anything. I'm just not interested in war movie.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 12 2005, 12:23 pm »
Yeah, he won awards internationally as well. His performance was considered better than Tom Hanks's in Saving Private Ryan. (Link)

And I agree with you on war movies. Most of them are so pointless that not even war veterans like them, but Taegukgi is filled with alot of subtleness and symbolism, so maybe you'd like the original version if you saw it. Or I'd recommend Shiri, it has alot of the symbols contained in Taegukgi, and it's a really thrilling movie if you like action.

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #18 on: September 15 2005, 04:10 am »
Quote from: forever SnS
Yeah you should watch My Sassy Girl!

Okies cool, then I look forward to it, however question to the UK people ~ Do you know if its out in the UK or know if they are going to release my sassy girl on DVD?

I have recently brought "The Ghost" on DVD and its not one of the best asain horrors, but its scary. Kinda reminds me of the ring and dark water.

Offline cardcaptor519

• Obsessed with CCS, TRC and S+S
  • Mega Fan
  • Syaoran Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: October 04 2005, 02:33 pm »
hehehe I love my sassy girl too! Also I recommend Windstruck! But beware you better have a box of tissue next to you if you're watching this one... I also like 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant and He Was Cool.... they're both really funny!

I LOVE my sassy girl!!! its one of my favorite korean movies (probably the only one i watched...i cant remember...)
Love...Destiny...Faith...Hope...S+S Forever...
icon by me

image from http://www.suppi.net/slg/