AuthorTopic: Hi everyone! Explain some things about Tsubasa for an old CCS fan?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline coco

I've been a fan of CCS for about eight years - I currently run a fansite, and had bought more Cardcaptors merch than could be considered normal... ^^; But I just got into Tsubasa RC about a month ago. I'm up to volume 3 and I was wondering if anybody could answer some questions? I've been reading a lot, but you can't beleive everything you read...

The Questions
Please try not to answer with too many spoilers... just  yes or no's will be satisfying. I've never been able to get through a series without being shocked at the end, and this time I want to be. :evil6:

1. )   Cardcaptor Sakura was a shōjo, but Tsubasa is a shōnen - for the old fans, did the change upset you? I'm still a little afraid of the series because of all the action so far. Later in the series, does it ever get even a little bit fluffy between Sakura and (either) Syaoran?

2. ) I had also heard something, and I want to know if that's true before I get to excited : Is the story tied into the Cardcaptor Sakura universe? I had saw a few seconds of a episode with Kero-chan, and I heard a small tidbit about the identity of Syaorans mom...  :wink: If it is tied in, is it enough for Tsubasa to be considered a part two of the series?

3. ) Is it too confusing? I've been hearing a lot about the series, and I was wondering if things are explained clearly, or is this one of these series where I'll need to join a disscussion group? I don't think I get too easily confused, and it may just be that I'm not far enough into the series to get most of the things I've heard about. (Those being C!Syaoran and R!Syaoran, then the whole tie in to CSS that got me really confused. I also got confused about Fai's past... )

4. )  Is the anime skip-worthy? Someone told me that there were only a few episodes worth seeing (they told me to go ahead and watch 37), and then the OVAs. Is the animation really that bad? I know they're not all like 37, of course, but from what I saw of the anime I didn't really think it was that great... I had heard that the station they showed in on is like PBS here, and it affected the show. Is that true?

5. ) If I watch the anime, anyway, sub or dub? The only dubbed anime I've liked so far is Inuyasha, and the rest I stick to subs because the english voices aren't as good. In your opinion, is TRC one of those?

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
I've been a fan of CCS for about eight years - I currently run a fansite, and had bought more Cardcaptors merch than could be considered normal... ^^; But I just got into Tsubasa RC about a month ago. I'm up to volume 3 and I was wondering if anybody could answer some questions? I've been reading a lot, but you can't beleive everything you read...

The Questions
Please try not to answer with too many spoilers... just  yes or no's will be satisfying. I've never been able to get through a series without being shocked at the end, and this time I want to be. :evil6:

1. )   Cardcaptor Sakura was a shōjo, but Tsubasa is a shōnen - for the old fans, did the change upset you? I'm still a little afraid of the series because of all the action so far. Later in the series, does it ever get even a little bit fluffy between Sakura and (either) Syaoran?

Not really. I thought it was a nice change and don't worry. It's fluffy early but that trend definitely does not continue.

2. ) I had also heard something, and I want to know if that's true before I get to excited : Is the story tied into the Cardcaptor Sakura universe? I had saw a few seconds of a episode with Kero-chan, and I heard a small tidbit about the identity of Syaorans mom...  :wink: If it is tied in, is it enough for Tsubasa to be considered a part two of the series?

There are hints that the CCS Universe may be part of Yuko's world (the Time Space Witch) otherwise no, this is a different story in a different world.

3. ) Is it too confusing? I've been hearing a lot about the series, and I was wondering if things are explained clearly, or is this one of these series where I'll need to join a disscussion group? I don't think I get too easily confused, and it may just be that I'm not far enough into the series to get most of the things I've heard about. (Those being C!Syaoran and R!Syaoran, then the whole tie in to CSS that got me really confused. I also got confused about Fai's past... )

Confusing at times, especially with all the CLAMP related crossovers. Check out he TRC forums for specific questions and answers.

4. )  Is the anime skip-worthy? Someone told me that there were only a few episodes worth seeing (they told me to go ahead and watch 37), and then the OVAs. Is the animation really that bad? I know they're not all like 37, of course, but from what I saw of the anime I didn't really think it was that great... I had heard that the station they showed in on is like PBS here, and it affected the show. Is that true?

The first season was okay, the second season was garbage. Personally never saw the OVA. Remember the series was intended for a young audience in Japan, which was a major mistake, considering the violence factor later on in the series.

5. ) If I watch the anime, anyway, sub or dub? The only dubbed anime I've liked so far is Inuyasha, and the rest I stick to subs because the english voices aren't as good. In your opinion, is TRC one of those?

The English dub is passable to most, extremely horrible to me, especially converting the Japanese songs to English. UGH!

BTW....welcome to the forum. Have fun and thanks for joining :)

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline coco

Sounds like I'll just have to stick to the manga... Which is a first, because I usually skip the manga and go straight for the anime...  I'm kind of annoyed that they would ruin a good story by aiming it at children. =/ Oh well.

(= Thank you for answering my questions! ~~