Poll

Which game series appeals to you the most?

The Final Fantasy series
3 (37.5%)
The Legend of Zelda series
0 (0%)
The .hack series
1 (12.5%)
The Mario and Luigi series (...)
0 (0%)
The Harvest Moon series
0 (0%)
The Legend of Mana series
1 (12.5%)
Other
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

AuthorTopic: What are YOUR favorite games?  (Read 14886 times)

Offline cherry_blossom_twilight

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
What are YOUR favorite games?
« on: January 16 2008, 04:43 pm »
I'm something of a gamer, so I'm curious...what are the usual favorites?
For my part, I like Tales of Phantasia, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Chrono Trigger for the SNES; Zelda: The Minish Cap, More Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA and several others, I can't remember their names currently and I'm too lazy to go and check the names...^^

'...check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into it's eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do.'
              - Fred Weasley, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
Re: What are YOUR favorite games?
« Reply #1 on: January 16 2008, 08:53 pm »
Where PS3 or XBOX360?
I love DMC etc. ACT games.

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
« Reply #2 on: January 16 2008, 10:30 pm »
DMC and ACT?

'...check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into it's eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do.'

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #3 on: January 17 2008, 05:04 am »
Devil May Cry etc. other action game.

But I hate the RPG games...
Cost too more time to up level......
« Last Edit: January 17 2008, 09:12 am by Takeru ¥amamoto »

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17 2008, 06:02 am »
People, we have a GENERAL MEDIA sub-forum for threads like this and Misa Hime...double-posting within a couple of minutes isn't cool. Use the 'modify' option to edit your post. Thank You.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 17 2008, 09:14 am »
Not to mention the major 7th-generation consoles--Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360--are missing from the list.

Also, polls should not be a "by the way" topic. Polls must always be a part of the primary discussion.
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
« Reply #6 on: January 18 2008, 03:48 pm »
Oh...erm, sorry. I'm kinda new to the forum and don't have much experience...sorry, anyways.

Devil May Cry etc. other action game.

But I hate the RPG games...
Cost too more time to up level......

I wouldn't know...I prefer games that don't stick to one genre. Seiken Densetsu 3, for example, has a somewhat active battle system...and a plot. So it's a cross between an action game and a RPG.
I just caught sight of a anime series a few days ago, .hack//roots. I looked the game series up and found out it was a RPG/action/adventure sort of thing...too bad it's for the Playstation 2...I don't have the platform. I'd have liked to play it...
« Last Edit: January 18 2008, 04:47 pm by cherry_blossom_twilight »

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #7 on: January 19 2008, 12:05 am »
want a good RPG with good battle system to keep it interesting?
Tales of Symphonia, 'nuff said.
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
« Reply #8 on: January 19 2008, 01:51 am »
want a good RPG with good battle system to keep it interesting?
Tales of Symphonia, 'nuff said.
Thanks for the tip, I looked up the battle system. It looks interesting, but too bad it's for the Gamecube and the Sony Playstation 2...I don't have either of those.

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #9 on: January 19 2008, 02:52 am »
People, we have a GENERAL MEDIA sub-forum for threads like this and Misa Hime...double-posting within a couple of minutes isn't cool. Use the 'modify' option to edit your post. Thank You.
Sorry, I will be attention... :sweatdrop:

Oh...erm, sorry. I'm kinda new to the forum and don't have much experience...sorry, anyways.

I wouldn't know...I prefer games that don't stick to one genre. Seiken Densetsu 3, for example, has a somewhat active battle system...and a plot. So it's a cross between an action game and a RPG.
I just caught sight of a anime series a few days ago, .hack//roots. I looked the game series up and found out it was a RPG/action/adventure sort of thing...too bad it's for the Playstation 2...I don't have the platform. I'd have liked to play it...
er...ARPG include "A"... So I can accept...
A good battle system is the focal point ...

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
« Reply #10 on: January 19 2008, 11:37 am »
er...ARPG include "A"... So I can accept...
A good battle system is the focal point ...
Of course, a good battle system is always the focal point, else how will you get through the game? Not to mention that even if it is possible to get through, what if it's boring to look at?
I place a good battle system first, then of course, the plot. Which the Mario series lacks, I note. I haven't played all of the games, but it gets boring if your final aim is to rescue a princess who gets kidnapped by a giant tortoise all the time. It was ok when I was 7 or 8, but not now, you know?

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #11 on: January 19 2008, 12:30 pm »
er...
I feel Mario series boring...

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #12 on: January 20 2008, 02:11 am »
for me, My fav Sonic game of all time is Sonic Adventure 2
Best Final Fantasy I think is Final Fantasy VIII, but my fav FF character is Zack Fair from FFVII

er...
I feel Mario series boring...
if you feel that, I suggest giving Paper Mario 2 a good play.
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

Offline Elazul

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #13 on: January 22 2008, 01:09 pm »
Well, Legend of Mana is my favorite game and I love Seiken Densetsu series.  But I like a lot the'' Tales of'' series too, and some other games like Xenogears, Bahamut Lagoon, Lunar Eternal Blue...

I think it is a bit hard to judge a game. I value the plot a lot, and put the battle system on second place. Though it is not uncommon when a game with a really good battle system and with only a basic plot suffcient to keep you interested, ends up being a more entertaining experience than the ones with a deep and complex story.

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #14 on: January 22 2008, 08:28 pm »
Well, Legend of Mana is my favorite game and I love Seiken Densetsu series.  But I like a lot the'' Tales of'' series too, and some other games like Xenogears, Bahamut Lagoon, Lunar Eternal Blue...

I think it is a bit hard to judge a game. I value the plot a lot, and put the battle system on second place. Though it is not uncommon when a game with a really good battle system and with only a basic plot suffcient to keep you interested, ends up being a more entertaining experience than the ones with a deep and complex story.

er. Battle system and story are equally important.
I like the Tales series too.

PS. "Densetsu" is "Tales" Japanese pronunciation.

Offline Elazul

« Reply #15 on: January 23 2008, 01:17 am »
Yeah, both are important, but I still prefer the story a bit more. xD

Cool, I never heard about it. Seiken Densetsu is the ''Mana'' series here. ^^

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #16 on: January 23 2008, 10:07 pm »
Yeah, both are important, but I still prefer the story a bit more. xD

Cool, I never heard about it. Seiken Densetsu is the ''Mana'' series here. ^^
I don't know how to differentiate between Mana and Tales series...
Who can tell me?

Offline Elazul

« Reply #17 on: January 24 2008, 02:06 am »
- Seiken Densetsu (Mana) series: Is a console role-playing game series from Square Enix (formerly known as Square), created by Koichi Ishii. The series is mostly known for its musical score and its action-based battle system. The action-based battle system is notable, since most other console role-playing games instead use the traditional turn-based style.
Every game of this series centers around the Mana Tree, and it is very important to the world. Also, the Elemental Spirits are another common element of the Seiken Densetsu games.

Examples: Legend of Mana (Seiken Densetsu Gaiden: Legend of Mana), Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2), Seiken Densetsu 3.

- ''Tales of'' series: Is a franchise of role-playing games published by Namco. Several entries have been localized for North America and just three for Europe. The series possesses an unusual battle system for an RPG. It has been likened to that of a fighting game (like Street Fighter) and is called the Linear Motion Battle System, or LMBS for short. and it is the most famous characteristic of the series.

Examples: Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss.

Font: Wikipedia (but I modified the content a bit ^^)

Offline Misa Hime

• ~I don't know English~
« Reply #18 on: January 25 2008, 12:17 pm »
- Seiken Densetsu (Mana) series: Is a console role-playing game series from Square Enix (formerly known as Square), created by Koichi Ishii. The series is mostly known for its musical score and its action-based battle system. The action-based battle system is notable, since most other console role-playing games instead use the traditional turn-based style.
Every game of this series centers around the Mana Tree, and it is very important to the world. Also, the Elemental Spirits are another common element of the Seiken Densetsu games.

Examples: Legend of Mana (Seiken Densetsu Gaiden: Legend of Mana), Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2), Seiken Densetsu 3.

- ''Tales of'' series: Is a franchise of role-playing games published by Namco. Several entries have been localized for North America and just three for Europe. The series possesses an unusual battle system for an RPG. It has been likened to that of a fighting game (like Street Fighter) and is called the Linear Motion Battle System, or LMBS for short. and it is the most famous characteristic of the series.

Examples: Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss.

Font: Wikipedia (but I modified the content a bit ^^)
oh, THX.

Square Enix and Namco......
I haven't pay attention to this point...
And I am reminded of the Battle-System is not the same.

Because the Japanese pronunciation is the same......

• HI! ^^ I'm Lucia.
« Reply #19 on: January 25 2008, 05:38 pm »
I played both Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia for the SNES and I think both are cool in their own way. While Seiken Densetsu was more of a top-down battle system, Tales had a side-scroller type system. In both games you can only control the hero, and the rest of the party are controlled by AI (although I heard that in Seiken Densetsu 3, another player can play the second character that is chosen with a joypad)...
I picked up one a few days ago - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA. It's a turn-based strategy RPG - the problem is, that the battle system's somewhat slow. Otherwise the plot is quite interesting.