AuthorTopic: Regarding the Advertisements  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Little Wolf

• Head Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • "A True Fan"
  • "coz my heart keeps falling faster..." :P
Regarding the Advertisements
« on: September 21 2006, 02:38 am »
The advertisements currently only show in the default forum theme which is Sunset Romance (lite). The wide version of this theme doesn't have it yet. Eventually, all the themes will include the ads.

Previously, only guests can see them. I've decided to include all members to improve the ad's performance. The main reason we're incoporating ads now in the forum is (hopefully) to generate some revenue so we could help SLi pay for the hosting of CapturedWings.net. But then, ads aren't always effective so this is still a test. If the ads don't perform to our expectations then we'll remove them. No use in having it here if it doesn't significantly help the site.  :keke:

I hope you guys understand that it's not easy to run a site as big as CW. The forum has gone bigger now! SLi's webhost wants us to move to a dedicated server. And even though we're still not on our own server, the monthly hosting fee SLi already pays isn't very cheap. The placement of ads is an attempt to find a solution to this money problem. I just discovered that YesAsia supports Paypal so that gave me the idea of sending earnings to SLi's PayPal account. If any of you buy TRC or CCS merchandise through that site, it would really help if you buy through the affiliate link ads.  :wink:

Like I've said, I'm still not finished with the changes. I will find a way not to show the ads to certain user levels like Donators and Moderators (if they don't want it).

This was not an easy decision for me because I even remember myself making a vow not to plaster any ad on CWF (besides the free ad at the board's homepage). I'm trying my best though not to include highly irrelevant ads to avoid annoying our members.
Of course, most of  the ads will be related to either TRC or CCS. Merchandise for other anime/manga may also be seen in the ads. Other currently popular merchandise (books and CDs) will also be advertised since we have an active General Media forum here as well. And, that's about it.

If any of you have suggestions like on how to make the ads less distracting and awkward :heh: ,  I'd be more than glad to hear them.
« Last Edit: December 02 2006, 06:05 pm by SLi »

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
Re: Regarding the Advertisements
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2006, 05:51 am »
http://www.capturedwings.net/donations/ for those who wish to donate to the forums.

I'll be starting a donation drive here for the month of October. For those who donate here, you may have a chance to win some special prizes. Not sure what they'll be yet but if you're a CCS or TRC follower, I'll make it worth your time to donate. Last donation drive I gave away a CCS boxset. Stay tuned for more info.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09 2006, 12:09 am »
Like I've said, I'm still not finished with the changes. I will find a way not to show the ads to certain user levels like Donators and Moderators (if they don't want it).

I never get ads here. It was a bit of a surprise when someone mentioned it first because I've never seen them. I'm not sure if being a mod or if my blockers were the reason.

I think if someone want to be a donator they should get the ads blocked as a reward for their generousity.

"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 10 2006, 01:58 am »
What's the monthly price for the hosting service? I'm curious.
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 10 2006, 10:13 am »
What's the monthly price for the hosting service? I'm curious.

It runs about $150 to $175 a month USD from what I was told.

Offline Kantrix Gabriel

• Anyone good at making avatars or signatures?
« Reply #5 on: October 21 2006, 12:01 pm »
The little YesAsia adds are okay, but have you ever considered banners at the top and bottom of the screen?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.   
                                        --Mark Twain

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 21 2006, 01:16 pm »
The little YesAsia adds are okay, but have you ever considered banners at the top and bottom of the screen?

Now I've heard it all...someone WANTING to see more advertisement plastered here across the top. Not that I don't mind since I don't see any of the ads anyway. The adventages of being The Warlord of Clow!!! (mods or donators don;t see them either)