AuthorTopic: New or obscure series that are good.  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Senefen

• Super Fan
  • Chemicals imbalance, who needs them anyway?
New or obscure series that are good.
« on: June 19 2006, 10:41 am »
Ok you ask for a good series and you always get the same answers. Death Note, Bleach, FMA etc. Well here I want people to post about series - both anime and manga. That are new or more or less unheard of (and where to get them if possible) but are still quite good.

Kagerou Nostalgia (manga):
For the past 500 years, a certain country has spent day and night fighting countless wars.
However, the appearance of General Kyoutaka Kuroda seemed to foretell the end of this war-torn world with eighty percent of the country already under his rule.
His followers are the People Hunters, indiscriminate murderers who suddenly started killing under Kuroda's orders 15 years earlier. In foreign countries, in their own villages, men, women, children and the old... no are distinctions made. Kuroda's followers simply murder. ...and enjoy it.
Happening upon a lone priest with eyes that remind him of his dead sister, a displaced you man named Kazuma struggles against the demons of his past and present. In this strife ridden land how will he fare?
There's only a volume and 1/2 translated but I quite enjoyed it. Don't just read chap 1a and decide you dont like it, make sure you read 1b too. You'll like Kazuma more. Good art, Kinda CLAMPish.
Warning: Violence, mild swearing, non-graphic rape. It's fairly tame tho.

World Embryo (manga)::
In this world a cell phone can bring forth possesion but who holds them? and just how do you stop them?
No one gives a good summary.... anyway. Riku recieved a text message from his "dead" friend. The message included a photo of her so he goes to the place the photo was taken. There he is attacked by creatures that materialise out of cell phones. With some help he gets away and ends up with a strange cocoon, inside is Nene. A strange little girl who looks oddly like his dead friend... Made by the creator of Chrno Crusade, its worth trying just for that.
Warning: Blood O.o, violence, mild swearing

Ouran High School Host Club (anime): Youtube save using Keepvid
Ohran Academy is a high school which rich people go to, but Haruhi is a common girl who won a scholarship. Because her mother died and she has been reaised only by her father, she isn't interested in fashion, and she acts like a boy. One day, she happens to enter the Host Club(*) room, and breaks 8 million yen vase. Because her family is not rich, she cannot afford to compensate the vase. The leader of the club ordered her to gather 100 guests as setoff against the debts. In this way, Haruhi become the 7th member to host girl students. (*) Generally, the "Host Club" is a nightclub for ladies where male staffs serve female guests sitting next to them.
It make me laugh ^_^v, better known that the other two, but still newish so...
Warning: Some Yaoi elements (do I need to warn on a CLAMP forum lol)

Spiral (manga):
Narumi Kiyotaka disappeared one day two years ago, leaving behind his young wife and younger brother, Ayuma. Now, Ayuma is being drawn into a set of murders and into the world of Blade Children. Who are the Blade Children, and how are they connected to his brother? Mystery, drama, action are part of this series, and be ready to be surprised.
Love the art style ^_^ CLAMPish
Warnings: Slow to update -.-, I cant thing of anything other than that

Ok thats all for now. You guys have anything?
« Last Edit: June 22 2006, 10:36 am by Senefen »

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
Re: New or obscure series that are good.
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2006, 03:33 pm »
New and ongoing anime (spring season)
Nishi no yoki majo-Astraea testament ( Good witch of the west) ANN torrent
-- nice characters design and plot in fairy tale gothic fashion
-- its only 13 episodes and definitely no filler.
-- fairy tale, romance, action, sci-fi, fantasy, school, comedy, adventure
Saiunkoku Monogatari ( Tales of Saiunkoku) ANN torrent
-- bishies everywhere ( reverse harem)
-- 39 episode, anime in oriental fashion
-- nice plot and character development
-- oriental music by Kunihiko Ryo (12 Kingdoms)
-- female protagonist has both brain and beauty
-- based from an award winning novel with same name ( the first book won the award)
-- definitely not a fushigi copycat
-- romance, comedy, politics, action, historical
« Last Edit: June 23 2006, 09:54 pm by sanlyn »

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #2 on: June 20 2006, 03:51 pm »
Erementar Gerad - Download
- very nice characters and development
- nice character designs and very pretty music
- lots of humour, fighting and romance in it

this anime has been out for quite some time now but almost nobody watches it so i post it here :XD:
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #3 on: June 20 2006, 04:26 pm »
(Manga)+Anima download
-cool characers
-cool stuff liek people being able to turn part animal
-nice lessons (IE fear of diferent people ala xmen perhaps?)
-plenty of humor
-theers plenty of deper things, like the origins of the main characters.
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline Razeasha

• Resident PUCK! ^_~
  • Big Fan
  • Sorry I was inactive due to a stomach infection.
« Reply #4 on: June 23 2006, 08:39 am »
well...i couldn't find my old topic (*cries* you all hate me) so I'm posting it here!!!

Found in the spiral guilOnline:
Quote from: Under Zenith
[size=9]This is what someone wrote on the Spiral community on LiveJournal speaking of her talk with somebody at Otakon regarding the trouble Tokyopop is having with the Spiral manga:

"Apparently, Square-Enix is giving Tokyopop a hard time because of something that was not Tokyopop's fault, to quote one of the editors. I couldn't get too many details (which didn't really surprise me) but the general impression I got was that Square-Enix doesn't like how Tokyopop handled one of their past series, or something like that, and so now they're holding out on letting Tokyopop have full rights to Spiral. This is not only causing problems with Spiral, but also with all of the other S-E titles Tokyopop is trying to get (He is My Master and Zombie-Loan being two). I don't think this means that we'll never see Spiral, but it seems like the negotiations aren't going so hot, and this could push the release back a fair bit. D:"

So, in case anyone was curious/worried/whatever... now you know. :stare:[/size]
I still wonder where my topic went................................... ...................
I love everyone!!!
= 3

Offline augustserenade

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #5 on: June 23 2006, 02:18 pm »
I recently finished watching Kaleido Stars, and it's a cute series. ^_^

I have it on DVD, but I think you can bittorent it here: AnimeYume

Sora, a young girl from Japan, comes to America in search of her dream. She wants, with all her heart, to be a member of the famous Kaleido Stage, a combination of musicals, acrobatics and magical effects. With the help of her friends, she struggles to make this dream come true.
- From Anime News Network

It has 2 OVAs and some fairly renowned seiyuu. Two you might recognize are Aya Hisakawa (Kero-chan in CCS) and Sayaka Ohara (Yuuko in xxxHOLiC). ^^ Also, I don't think it was a manga first...

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #6 on: June 23 2006, 03:46 pm »
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha/A's (two seasons) - Download

from animenfo:

"Takamachi Nanoha is a 3rd grader elementary school girl. She lives with her parents who run a coffee shop, and her older sister and brother who are students. She was a normal girl until she met a boy that came from another world. She happens to obtain a magical power from him. After their encounter, Nanoha has to recollect "Jewel Seeds". They are from the other world, and are scattered around Earth.

The boy from the other world can turn into a small animal, and she has a magical wand that is materialized by Nanoha's will. With these two, she has to recollect Jewel Seed. It will grant one's dream, but it also causes various accidents as well.

She begins to have a friendship with the boy from the other world. She spends her secret life as a magical girl late at night, early in the morning, after school, and on vaction. She is a normal girl when she is with her friends and family.

During her adventures, there appears magical girls that has the same power of Nanoha, because of this, her peaceful life is almost destroyed.

"I do my best so that I won't regret"

Takamachi Nanoha, a third grader, though she isn't good at sports, but she does her best with courage, magic, and her will, that she won't lose."

- CCS like magical girl anime combined with a fighting anime
- Excellent art and animation
- superb music
- awesome battles
- nice plot and story
- this anime made Moezy-chan change the picture in her signature

Hantsuki - Download

from animenfo:

"During the winter, Yuichi was hospitalized due to hepatitis. Randomly he would try to escape from the hospital but would get beat up by the nurse. One day, he happened to meet Rika, a girl of his age, in the next building. He was fascinated by her beauty, but she was very selfish girl. Although she led him by the nose, he began to be attracted by her. However, when Rika told him about her illness, he knew why she acted so selfish; she didn't have long to live."

- simple but very nice story
- nice pace thanks to only having 6 episodes
- art is good and characters are very loveable
- nice music

^ this anime is personal favorite when it comes to lovestories
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline Senefen

• Super Fan
  • Chemicals imbalance, who needs them anyway?
« Reply #7 on: June 23 2006, 09:01 pm »
Thankyou! I'm so glad people replied to this lol. I'm starting a month of holidays I need new stuff :P.
*bows* ^_^ thanks again, I hope you all get something out of this.

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
« Reply #8 on: June 23 2006, 10:21 pm »
Utawareru mono (  the one being sung) torrent
Taken from ANN
Hakuoro has lost his memory after succumbing to serious injuries; but thanks to a elderly woman and her granddaughter Eruruu, he is nursed back to health. His face is covered by a strange irremovable mask and he occasionally sees beastly visions. Eruruu now cares for him as he becomes accustomed to the village and its inhabitants who all bear strange ears (the women have tails too). Though these people venerate the forces of nature, desecration of an alter forces them to take drastic measures to preserve their lives...
- based from a game by Aquaplus
- drama, fantasy, war

Mushishi    torrent
Taken from ANN
They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as "Mushi". Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi". In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurances which may be related to the "Mushi".
-- award winning anime/manga
-- supernatural, mystery, adventure
-- episodic

Offline bie liao

• Bishie of the moment : back on my Kamui spree
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Vampire + Love = Kamui
« Reply #9 on: July 13 2006, 07:34 am »

Spiral (manga): Love the art style ^_^ CLAMPish
Warnings: Slow to update -.-, I cant thing of anything other than that

Ok thats all for now. You guys have anything?

Has anyone found a good place to download the anime for that?  Youtube has some of the episodes but every place I go to either doesn't have it or the link isn't working.

Is it allowed to ask for that?  If not, I'll delete the post.
[ - Without a p a s t, and unable to see the f u t u r e, I am here in the p r e s e n t, believing in m y s e l f. - ]

The smile her highness gave me was so warm.  Just looking at it, I felt a warmth in my own chest.  I thought that I always, always wanted to see her smile. - Syaoran, TRC Volume 4

[ -  F o r u m  F a m i l y  - ]
Little sis - hikari_blaze ; babypigggy ; Okamirei ; wishingstarx
Big sis - Moon Li ; lilaznrycegurl ; Shiunu  ; Aya-chan
Aunt - pretty
Cousin - *+chibiwings+* ; Cherry-chan

My NEW Photobucket Account with never before seen graphics!

Offline wetheril

• New Fan
  • TRCholic
« Reply #10 on: July 23 2006, 06:51 am »
Has anyone found a good place to download the anime for that? Youtube has some of the episodes but every place I go to either doesn't have it or the link isn't working.

Is it allowed to ask for that? If not, I'll delete the post.

Ah...I downloaded the fansub like years ago, when it wasn't licensed yet. ^^; I don't think you're supposed to share licensed anime. If you're looking for the scanlations though, they are still around, because the manga hasn't been license. There was a licensing deal, but it fell through, so scanlations are okay to share. :)

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #11 on: July 23 2006, 06:58 am »
i think you can share lisensed animes, but via PMs only
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
« Reply #12 on: July 23 2006, 05:01 pm »
Ah...I downloaded the fansub like years ago, when it wasn't licensed yet. ^^; I don't think you're supposed to share licensed anime. If you're looking for the scanlations though, they are still around, because the manga hasn't been license. There was a licensing deal, but it fell through, so scanlations are okay to share. :)

Spiral manga is licensed by tokyopop, although you won't find the title in its official website.
info source:  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=4124