AuthorTopic: Miyasaki's Movies! Which is your favorite?  (Read 12743 times)

Offline Airashii

• I Will Fight For My Love!
  • cRAzY fan
  • Gay is Happy
Miyasaki's Movies! Which is your favorite?
« on: July 21 2006, 08:37 am »
I love all of Miyasaki's movies! He's a great animator and has a fantastic imagination! Overall, he's movies are a masterpiece.

My favorite movie is Howl's Moving Castle. That movie is great. Howl is so handsome and Sophie is a very lively character! Other movies I like from Miyasaki are: Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Castle in the Sky, Nausica...and I think that is all of my faves!  :greengrin:

Which one do you like and why?

Embrace and kiss me
My feelings of falling in love with you is never ending
'Aikoi' by FictionJunction YUUKA
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Forum Family My cool little bro: Kouichi

Offline Hack

• LuckyStar
  • Dedicated Fan
Re: Miyasaki's Movies! Which is your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: July 21 2006, 08:41 am »
My favorite is spirited away
that's the only i watched anyways ^_^( i think i watched some of them when i was younger)
i had the dvd, but i let my friend borrow it and she lost it so i can't watch it anymore
but it's a good movie
by me.

moezychan

« Reply #2 on: July 21 2006, 09:47 am »
I am such an avid Miyazaki fan ^_^ His movies are always terrific! He's like the Bruce Gibson of Japan!

My favorite movie of his is Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It's such a unique plot and the characters are fantastic. I also love how Pazu is so willing to protect Sheeta and go to any lengths to save her. I also love Sheeta because despite all the hardships she's faced, she continues to fight and remain strong. It's such a wonderful anime, and it is by far my favorite.

Offline ishiyaki

• Dedicated Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 21 2006, 09:52 am »
I'm hard fan of Miyazaki-sama!!! there's no movie without good valoration or few succes...he's a genious.

Offline tg

• Good Fan
  • Huh?
« Reply #4 on: July 21 2006, 10:22 am »
Hm...   Too many to count!   O_o  This list below is beyond Miyazaki's work.  Mainly,...Studio Ghibli!

-Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Was my first one to fall in love with.)
-My Neighbor: Totoro
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
-Lupin III: Castle of Caliogstro
-Whisper of the Heart
-The Cat Returns
-Princess Mononoke (This would be the most recent Miyazaki movie that I was able to see after all these years.)
-Spirited Away
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Grave of the Fireflies (First and only Studio Ghibli movie that made me cry!)
Edit:  I forgot these three--
-Panda! Go Panda! and Panda! Go Panda! 2 (circus)
-Gauche the Cellist (When I was little, this use to entrance me for some odd reason.  O_0)

Future Ghibli movie that I'm anticipating would be made by Miyazaki's son, Goro.  The movie's called  "Gedo Senki" and it'll be release in Japan soon.   It looks pretty good.  The "official" synoposis of the movie is interesting.   :hehe:
« Last Edit: July 21 2006, 01:27 pm by tg »
O.o

Offline Hira

• Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #5 on: July 21 2006, 12:40 pm »
I also love Miyazaki's movies! In fact, I think Nausicaa is the first anime film that I've watched. I think I was first grade at that time. But, his film has this weird effect on people that can make them feel like they're kids again! I know I always have. Bringing back the youthful innocence, be it Miyazaki's intention or not, has been a major reason why I love his films even now.

But, I'm having trouble voting between Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaa. Both have been quite the inspirations in calling out my individuality. Hopefully, his son's movie, Gedo Senki, will be great, too. Even though... I've been hearing that Miyazaki-sensei himself is absolutely against his son's directing and the father and son are not on good speaking term right now...

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #6 on: July 21 2006, 12:54 pm »
I am such an avid Miyazaki fan ^_^ His movies are always terrific! He's like the Bruce Gibson of Japan!

My favorite movie of his is Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It's such a unique plot and the characters are fantastic. I also love how Pazu is so willing to protect Sheeta and go to any lengths to save her. I also love Sheeta because despite all the hardships she's faced, she continues to fight and remain strong. It's such a wonderful anime, and it is by far my favorite.

i think that's my favorite as well, for the same reasons as Moezy posted and also because it's an older anime (i have a thing for older anime's) and it has a lot of similairities with one of my alltime favorite games....Skies of Arcadia ^_^
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline Airashii

• cRAzY fan
  • Gay is Happy
« Reply #7 on: July 22 2006, 11:43 pm »
Future Ghibli movie that I'm anticipating would be made by Miyazaki's son, Goro.  The movie's called  "Gedo Senki" and it'll be release in Japan soon.   It looks pretty good.  The "official" synoposis of the movie is interesting.   :hehe:

My sister was taking about that movie, she keeps watching the trailer over and over again on youtube.com, but what is the movie about?  :haha:

Embrace and kiss me

Offline Hira

• Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #8 on: July 23 2006, 12:12 am »
My sister was taking about that movie, she keeps watching the trailer over and over again on youtube.com, but what is the movie about?  :haha:
You'll probably have to read the series first if you want to have a better understanding. I haven't read Ursula Le Guin's novels, yet, but if you go to wikipedia, they pretty much summed up the plots for each novel if you like to see it. Even though it's gonna be major spoiler :p

Offline Touei

• -gone-
  • Big Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 23 2006, 12:44 am »
My favourite Ghibli movie is Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo sumaseba) *Shizuku/Seiji<3*, but Miyazaki didnt direct that one...
 So huhm.. my favourite Miyazaki movie would be Princess Mononoke :3
And.. I've seen most of the 'big' Miyazaki/Ghibli movies.. except Porco Rosso (although I saw a bit of that), Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday. Yush.

*also really looking forward to Gedo Senki* The trailers look so beautiful~ and the music <33!

Offline mela

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #10 on: July 23 2006, 01:00 am »
I have so many fond memories of Totoro, I love that movie to pieces.

But my favorite has to be Princess Mononoke. Definitely.

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
« Reply #11 on: July 23 2006, 01:29 am »
Mine is whisper of the heart and howl's moving castle.

Whisper of the heart has a  very special memory for me.  I love the setting, story  and the characters.  Its very heart-warming and sweet.
Howls moving castle - i like sophie personality.  She is strong, kind and very thoughtful.

Offline Fai

• Utter Silence
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Hide that rum!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23 2006, 04:49 am »
That would be so hard to choose! I love all of his movies, and as most people say, he is a great artist!

I have a few though...

-Howl's Moving Castle
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-Spirited Away (<--I've watched this so many times! XD)

There is another one that I love, but I can't recall the title just now...But it's so cute ^_^

Set by Hachi
Ashlee and I love our Rum!
~~~~~~~
Fourm Family.:.
Onee-chan.:.Ruby-chan.:.Zeldi.:. AkaiYuki.:.Hori.:. moezy-chan.:.babypiggy.:.Miharu Endoh.:.bLuetopaz.:.Shiunu.:.Ashlee
Oniichan.:.VexNet
Imoto-chan.:.Moonflower121 <---My *special* imoto-chan!
Aunt.:.{Pikari.:.Sakaki}
Cousin.:.Genki_Girl
~~~~~~
If you had a choice; why not choose happiness?
It's called...CANON~
~~~~~~
遠く遠く この空のどこかに 君はいるんだろう
I know that you are somewhere under this sky, far, far away
-"Planetarium" -Ai Otsuka
-------

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #13 on: July 23 2006, 05:49 am »
Probably Princess Mononoke. I think that was the first Mizazaki DVD I brought. I first thought the story was abit complicated but after watching it a few times I thought the story was good, no one creates fantasy stories like Miyazaki ^^
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline Airashii

• cRAzY fan
  • Gay is Happy
« Reply #14 on: July 23 2006, 05:52 am »
You'll probably have to read the series first if you want to have a better understanding. I haven't read Ursula Le Guin's novels, yet, but if you go to wikipedia, they pretty much summed up the plots for each novel if you like to see it. Even though it's gonna be major spoiler :p

Thanks, I'll keep in mind that there will be spoilers.  :okay:

Embrace and kiss me

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
« Reply #15 on: July 23 2006, 06:00 am »
I've only watched two: Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I don't love any of them to bits, but they're both very well-animated, detailed and sweet movies. In chosing between the two, Spirited Away would be my favourite, since I absolutely adore Dianna Wynne-Jones' novel, and frankly, the movie was so loosely based on her book that it kind of took away the fun. Plus, the storyline was terribly confusing, despite me having read the book. So yeah, Spirited Away it is.

But I am absolutely dying to watch Grave of the Fireflies and Mononoke-hime: problem is, they're nowhere to be rent and I can't find them for download anywhere. If anyone could send me a pm with where I can find these two movies I'd be so, so happy. *puppy eyes*
« Last Edit: July 23 2006, 09:18 am by Ando »
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 23 2006, 09:03 am »
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper of the Heart

I got them all on DVD and watch them over and over (in Japanese of course)

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline tg

• Good Fan
  • Huh?
« Reply #17 on: July 23 2006, 10:09 am »
My sister was taking about that movie, she keeps watching the trailer over and over again on youtube.com, but what is the movie about? :haha:

Here's a synoposis of Goro's version of "Tales from Earthsea": http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiSynopsis.html

This should be deemed official because it was sent directly to Le Guin from Ghibli.  ^_^
O.o

Offline Airashii

• cRAzY fan
  • Gay is Happy
« Reply #18 on: July 23 2006, 10:12 am »
I've only watched two: Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I don't love any of them to bits, but they're both very well-animated, detailed and sweet movies. In chosing between the two, Spirited Away would be my favourite, since I absolutely adore Dianna Wynne-Jones' novel, and frankly, the movie was so loosely based on her book that it kind of took away the fun. Plus, the storyline was terribly confusing, despite me having read the book. So yeah, Spirited Away it is.

But I am absolutely dying to watch Grave of the Fireflies and Mononoke-hime: problem is, they're nowhere to be rent and I can't find them for download anywhere. If anyone could send me a pm with where I can find these two movies I'd be so, so happy. *puppy eyes*

I too loved Dianna Wynne-Jones' novel (Howl's Moving Castle) it was very funny, though the movie was more serious and romantic.

Didn't you tried searching the two movies on youtube.com, they might have it there. BTW, what's Grave of the Firefly about? I've heard much about it!

Embrace and kiss me

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
« Reply #19 on: July 23 2006, 10:52 am »
I too loved Dianna Wynne-Jones' novel (Howl's Moving Castle) it was very funny, though the movie was more serious and romantic

Yeah. One thing I did like in the movie was Howl
Show content
permanently transforming into the bird-thing
(though they kinda just left it hanging. That's one reason I don't like that movie particulary - way too many loose threads in the end), however, I didn't like Howl the leastest; he was such a shadow of his true self. Kind and polite without the sarcasm and sympathy-fishing. The Real Howl would have been offended, I'm sure. The worst was the Witch of the Waste, though. Talk about ruining the climax!

Didn't you tried searching the two movies on youtube.com, they might have it there.

True, some time has passed since the last time I checked YouTube. They seem to have the dubbed version of both Fireflies and Mononoke. Oh well, better than nothing, I guess. I'll spend the rest of the night watching them. :keke:

BTW, what's Grave of the Firefly about? I've heard much about it!

Basically, it's a story about two siblings and their fight for survival during World War II. People say it's one of the saddest movies ever.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline Airashii

• cRAzY fan
  • Gay is Happy
« Reply #20 on: July 25 2006, 12:28 pm »
Yeah. One thing I did like in the movie was Howl
Show content
permanently transforming into the bird-thing
(though they kinda just left it hanging. That's one reason I don't like that movie particulary - way too many loose threads in the end), however, I didn't like Howl the leastest; he was such a shadow of his true self. Kind and polite without the sarcasm and sympathy-fishing. The Real Howl would have been offended, I'm sure. The worst was the Witch of the Waste, though. Talk about ruining the climax!

True, they did ruined the Witch of the Waste, the plot in the book was much clever and funny...though I still love deeply the movie!!!  :D

Basically, it's a story about two siblings and their fight for survival during World War II. People say it's one of the saddest movies ever.

Yeah, I've heard that to. One of the anime that makes people feel sad...maybe I'll have to watch it with some kleenex along side me... :hehe:

Embrace and kiss me