AuthorTopic: Tomoyo's father?  (Read 9902 times)

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
Tomoyo's father?
« on: July 14 2006, 07:09 am »
Well, who is he, and why does Tomoyo never speak of him?

He is obviously not living with the Daidouji family - but why? Did he and Sonomi break up? Maybe he was violent, an alcoholist or something along those lines, and that's why Tomoyo doesn't want to talk about him?

Does Tomoyo even have a father, in the sense that she knows who he is and has met him? She might be adopted for all we know, or perhaps Sonomi did an insemination (I don't know what Japanese law says about single women doing either)?

As for me, I think that the abscence of a father is a hint that Sonomi really loved Nadeshiko in a romantical way and that she could never find anyone else to love, because Tomoyo doesn't act like she has had a childhood troubled by an abusing parent. I see no reason as to why CLAMP wouldn't throw in a quick scene of Tomoyo's dad somewhere, or mentioning that her parents were divorced, if it weren't for them wanting to hint at something.

What do you people think?
« Last Edit: July 14 2006, 07:34 am by Ando »
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline ishiyaki

• Dedicated Fan
Re: Tomoyo's father?
« Reply #1 on: July 14 2006, 07:17 am »
well, I think Sonomi loves her freedom and she doesn't want lose it. Looking for a child, Tomoyo, is a hard work for her, so she is always surrounded by women in black...

besides, Sonomi could think that getting married would be a curse because she couldn't stop Nadeshiko. When Nadeshiko married with Fujitaka, Sonomi hated him, and later, when she died, Sonomi maybe thought that he was the gulity.

Offline Luci-Chan~~

• New Fan
  • Shorannn!!!! *-*
« Reply #2 on: July 14 2006, 07:23 am »
As for me, I think that the abscence of a father is a hint that Sonomi really loved Nadeshiko in a romantical way and that she could never find anyone else to love, because Tomoyo doesn't act like she has had a childhood troubled by an abusing parent. I see no reason as to why CLAMP wouldn't throw in a quick scene of Tomoyo's dad somewhere, or mentioning that her parents were divorced, if it weren't for them wanting to hint at something.

What do you people think?

If really sonomi loved nadeshiko, if you read the vol 2 of the manga you will see that fujitaka says to sonomi that she was'nt sonomi daidouji, she was sonomi amamiya (cause she is nadeshiko's cousin) , so she got married n__n
Shaoran...Waaaa!!!! x3!!

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 14 2006, 09:14 am »
Okay Luci-chan, you're right about her getting married. I must have forgotten that (note to self: re-read manga). However, in search for a certain Touya/Yukito moment, I found a scene - also in the second manga volyme. I would link to the scan, but for some reason it won't work properly - where Sonomi and Fujitaka has the following conversation:

Sonomi: I loved her... more than anything...
Fujitaka: Nadeshiko-san loved you, too.
Sonomi: But... not in the way I wanted her to love me...

...which I take as proof that she did love Nadeshiko in a romantical way. But my theory about never finding anyone else is not correct, then. Too bad - I thought it was such a good theory which explained it all so well. The question as to why Tomoyo doesn't mention her father remains, though.
Signifying nothing.

Offline Hikari B.

• "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #4 on: July 19 2006, 02:48 am »
Hmm...

Perhaps, she just wanted to find her own happiness to get over her loss to Fujitaka for 'stealing away Nadeshiko.'
Show content
It reminds me of Mayuko-sensei in Fruits Basket Volume 10 where she dated Shigure but out of loneliness. I believe that after a while, Sonomi just couldn't really be happy with her marriage to Tomoyo's father (who I decided to call Daijouji.) She ended up divorcing Daijouji and raised Tomoyo on her own.

Sorry about that, moezy-chan.
« Last Edit: July 19 2006, 03:12 am by Hikari_Blaze »

moezychan

« Reply #5 on: July 19 2006, 03:01 am »
Hmm...

Perhaps, she just wanted to find her own happiness to get over her loss to Fujitaka for 'stealing away Nadeshiko.' It reminds me of Mayuko-sensei in Fruits Basket Volume 10 where she dated Shigure but out of loneliness. I believe that after a while, Sonomi just couldn't really be happy with her marriage to Tomoyo's father (who I decided to call Daijouji.) She ended up divorcing Daijouji and raised Tomoyo on her own.

Hikari-chan, that belongs in spoiler tags. I'm reading the Fruits Basket manga and I haven't gotten that far.

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #6 on: July 19 2006, 03:10 am »
In CLAMP no Kiseki Volume 2 CLAMP says that they planned to have Tomoyo's father in CCS but weren't particularly upset that he didn't, and I think that's all that's ever been officially said. I've always thought Sonomi got married rather so she could respectably have a child. I don't believe she loved her husband as more than a friend.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 19 2006, 03:15 am »
Moezy-chan: I admit to not knowing that much about the modern Japanese society, so - how common are arranged marriages nowadays?

Jeannette: Ow, interesting! I wonder what he'd been like if they'd included him. But I suppose we wouldn't have got to know much about him anyway, since he wouldn't be important to the story...
Signifying nothing.

moezychan

« Reply #8 on: July 19 2006, 03:25 am »
Moezy-chan: I admit to not knowing that much about the modern Japanese society, so - how common are arranged marriages nowadays?

I'm not entirely sure. Part of my theory is based on American culture as well  :sweatdrop: My knowledge on Japanese culture is limited.

Offline Kina, The Dark Keyblade Master

• Never underestimate a girl...she may be hiding a strong power...
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 21 2006, 10:03 pm »
...I just thought Tomoyo's father died a very, very long time ago...

I've watched only the locally dubbed version of the anime and, in our place, dubbers want to make shows children-friendly... ^^;

I am Sora's opposite...
Roxas was only his element...
He doesn't exist...
But I do...
And I wield the Dark Keyblade...

Forum Family:
Guardian: ~Emethyst~
Cookie-earner: Tatasenko

moezychan

« Reply #10 on: July 21 2006, 11:08 pm »
...I just thought Tomoyo's father died a very, very long time ago...

I've watched only the locally dubbed version of the anime and, in our place, dubbers want to make shows children-friendly... ^^;

They don't even tell of this in the sub. It's not even in the manga, so nobody knows what happened to him.

Offline Hikari B.

• "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #11 on: July 22 2006, 01:23 am »
I don't believe Daidouji died.

CCS Volume 2:
Come to think of it, Tomoyo-chan never mentions her dad. I think he's passed away... I guess it's just... complicated.

I support this statement.

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 22 2006, 11:09 am »
"Luke...er...a...Tomoyo! I'm your FATHER!!!"

Darth Vader

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!