AuthorTopic: Religion  (Read 37401 times)

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
Re: Religion
« Reply #140 on: December 08 2005, 03:58 pm »
And since the other part of my degree was Philosophy of Science, I will point out that we only 'know' that energy cannot be destroyed because we believe what the scientists tell us... xD

True true! We had a period in Sociology where we focused on the "listen to the scientist" power that seems so forceful in America, and worldwide, and then we focused on what "science" is and found out the scientists couldn't even define "science" and most "facts" are very subjective, no matter how scientific they are.

In the end you just don't know what to believe. Which is why I think I'm okay with religion, because you kind of trust what feels right to you, and what you think will help you the most. It's more based on your heart, and I think you can trust that more than science sometimes (not all the time, science is very useful, and I'm not trying to deny basic knowledge like the sky being blue, though that does lead to the question, Is my blue the same as your blue?)

Personally, I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) like Dark_card. There was a time in middle school where I kind of jumped from religion to religion, seeing which ones had the most continuity, which ones promoted what seemed to me to be the most logical ideals, and which ones felt right, and Mormon is kind of where I landed, which is good because my parents are Mormon and would have been "very disappointed in me" if I had left the church...

Personally, it's kind of a relief to come to a board where people don't know what Mormons are. I've gotten so much grief for it during my years (I think the first time I was told I was going to hell because of my religion was when I was six, and it was one of my friend's mothers >.<)

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #141 on: December 08 2005, 04:15 pm »
I'm a Christian and a Quaker, and proud to claim such, despite the fact that many who also claim the titles might be a bit hesitant to embrace me, due to my sexual orientation. Despite my commitment and belief in my religion, I am very willing to talk and debate all day long, and I admit that there is plenty I don't know and will never know.

And don't feel too awful, TimeMachine... As a Quaker, I'm at pretty much the exact opposite side of the continuum of Christian beliefs as you, but I get strange questions about my religion all the time. I don't know -how- many times I've been asked why I don't wear a bonnet and drive a horse and buggy. So many people think we're some tiny little cult. A lot of times, people mistake us for Shakers, that group that doesn't have sex... ever. Um... We quite enjoy sex, thank you very much. And no, we don't get royalties from the Quaker Oats company, unfortunately. Neither do we dress like the guy on the oatmeal box.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 09 2005, 04:01 am »
I LOVE QUAKERS!!!

There are a couple religions, not to generalize or anything, but there are a couple religions that are just cool and misunderstood enough that I tend to really connect to them (because I have been misunderstood for religion all my life ^_^; ), that includes Judaism and Quakers. Every Quaker or Jew I have met, I've really gotten along with. Now, there might be exceptions in the future, and I'm definitly not going to immediately like or hate someone because of their religion.

That being said, the Quaker religion makes me smile.  YAY FOR QUAKERS!

I also enjoy going to Unitarian services. They're really cool and informative.

lol, I've been to too many different churches, I think.

Forum Family

Offline sugahcat

• Good Fan
  • Yo!
« Reply #143 on: December 09 2005, 07:37 am »
Certainly does! Do you want to start or should I?

I'll let you start, lol xD

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #144 on: December 09 2005, 07:41 am »
LOL. Thanks for your support, TimeMachine. Personally, I love my Quaker heritage. And it really is uncomfortable to have your religion misunderstood. Once, my cousin's history teacher said that there were no more Quakers in the world, and the teacher absolutely -refused- to believe my cousin when she said that there were, in fact, Quakers left in the world and that she was one of them.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 09 2005, 10:13 am »
Once, my cousin's history teacher said that there were no more Quakers in the world, and the teacher absolutely -refused- to believe my cousin when she said that there were, in fact, Quakers left in the world and that she was one of them.

Lol, that's sad. My teacher refused to believe me when I said that the Mormons left Missouri because the Governor had made it legal to kill any Mormon on the spot, and not just because they were crazy cultists who thought it would be good idea to leave for the west in the middle of January.

Speaking of which, did you know there are still Wobblies? I thought the whole anarchist violent overthrow of the government thing had kind of puffed out, but apparently Wobblies are still pretty prominent in places like Oregon.

But that's kind of off topic, huh?

Forum Family

Offline ~Bloody_Rose~

• *cough* CAAAAAANNNOOOOONNN!!!!
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • *cough* CAAAANOOOOON!!!!!!
« Reply #146 on: December 20 2005, 02:03 pm »
Im an atheist... OH!! PLEASE DON't THINK OF ME AS A WEIRDO!!! i juz can't force myself to belive God

Forum Family:

Big Sis ~ bluetopaz, aya-Chan, moezy-chan                           Forum Husband ~ Kuro-Puppy :noteworthy:
Lil Sis ~ cardcaptors_ria, babypiggy, kudan                 'Kino no Tabi Lover' sis ~ Zeldi :inlove:
Tamer~ tsukihime                 Daughter: Modo-rashi
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Meza

• New Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #147 on: December 23 2005, 03:59 am »
I don't have any clue which church I'm in. That's pretty.. uh.. weird for a person who has gone through confirmation class and first (and last) confession several years ago, eh? XD

Religion has never played any role in my life.
I don't know any religious ppl in my family - not even a single one.
And I went for that confirmation thing only for money. Aaaw, I have no shame.

Uh.. yar not gonna believe. I was chatting with Sabrina just a moment ago for a long time just to know what church we are in. So,  it seems like we are Christians. ^^;
And I think I'll leave the church when I'm adult. I just dont wanna pay tax for church T_T'

So, so, I don't really have any faith in these official religions - and not in the unofficial either. But I DO believe in soul and rebirth - in my own way. And I do believe there's somekinda greater force, but I don't believe it as a person or anything like that.  And I do believe in separated souls. And by that I mean there's possibility that there's another me, my soul, living same time as I am.

It was yesterday, when I last though about life as it is.. at brigde. And I actually do think all live is a needless game, it would be so much easier if nothing would exist.

But yeah, only my thoughts, no one should get offended. -_-'

Offline ~Bloody_Rose~

• *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #148 on: December 26 2005, 10:18 am »
maybe you're an atheist as well, Meza-chan... do you believe that there's a god or something like that?

Forum Family:

Big Sis ~ bluetopaz, aya-Chan, moezy-chan                           Forum Husband ~ Kuro-Puppy :noteworthy:
Lil Sis ~ cardcaptors_ria, babypiggy, kudan                 'Kino no Tabi Lover' sis ~ Zeldi :inlove:

Offline tsukihime

• You have no choice but to love him!
  • Big Fan
  • Syaoran will rock your world!!!
« Reply #149 on: January 06 2006, 10:19 pm »
haha! as always -=kuro_woof=-, your always the offensive type!!! Anyway, my religion is Iglesia ni Kristo

set made by Aya-chan.. Thank you :noteworthy:

Forum Family:
my pet kitty ~ woofie-chan (-=kuro_woof=-)

Offline Sarah Jane

• <3 .Skönheten och odjuret. </3
  • New Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 08 2006, 02:52 pm »
I don't have a religion, yet I don't consider myself Athiest.
I can't really back that up, but I'm not changing what I say.
I suppose that the only thing I can say in my defence, hehe...
Is that I have so many beliefs, that I couldn't just belong in one.
Also, I think that some of my beliefs are contradicting.
And another thing... if you believe in something...
I don't see why you can't necessarily just believe in it in a small group.
Or something like that... why do you need to join a mass amount of people.
And yes, I do know that my previous sentence might sound odd,
So I'll follow it up with, that I know that it does make sense to join a larger 'group' and stuff.
~ I respect that people have a religion.
But sometimes it's overwhelming for people like me who don't have one.
Such as going to a Catholic wedding or something.
I'm not used to it.
Going to church too, I just can't believe in what I am hearing.
Plus, one time I was forced to go to church ( long story ) and I didn't like it.

You're probably wondering what I do and do not believe in... so here you are:

Animal and human reincarnation.
I don't believe in 'God' but a higher power. ( I shall not say anything else about it. )
Spirits. - Not necessarily... ghosts.
Something more than meets the eye.
I don't believe in extra-terrestrials either.

And some other things that I can't think of at the moment. ^^;

Offline LSD

• - DECEASED -
  • "Exceptional Fan"
  • SHUT UP VOICES or i'll poke you with a Q-tip again
« Reply #151 on: January 12 2006, 06:06 am »
i belive in aliens ^^
there are so many planets.. i can't belive earth is the only one with live of it

((siggy made my me.. be nice.. its the first shit i make that actually turns ok- ))

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 12 2006, 10:06 am »
I believe in aliens, too!!!

Though I'm not sure I believe they've made it anywhere near earth. The whole abduction thing is a little beyond what I think is probable, though I will not say it's impossible.

Forum Family

Offline MichelleSV

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #153 on: January 26 2006, 02:28 pm »
I am a christian I do believe in God....=kuro_woof=- have u ever been to a church? IF u have did u ever see when the pastor or somebody is praying for someone then all of a sudden they start to scream talking in weird language...i mean when i see that i am always happy becuz there in Gods presense....Doesn't that give u just a little bit of...proof...that there is a God????

Offline ~Bloody_Rose~

• *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #154 on: January 27 2006, 06:49 pm »
Well, Anyone can shout right? and in weird language too. And the proof im trying to find is if there's really a god. I have to see a proof that he exist. not the ancient writings and the bible thing. I want to see the real thing. Please don't argue with me. We have all different beliefs in life

Forum Family:

Offline Crystal_Wings

• Great Fan
  • Someday I'll Fly Away
« Reply #155 on: January 27 2006, 07:18 pm »
Hopefully there won't be any arguing. We should all respect each other's beliefs. =kuro_woof= I understand your need to see proof. No offense to anyone, but I don't think talking in a weird language is proof. Anyone can fake that. You just Keep looking, maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

TimeMachine, I figured you were a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints when I read about your "heart attack" when you were talking about how you got your name. I don't know any other people who do "heart attacks" besides Mormons. I believe in aliens too, but I don't think they're around earth.

I hope everyone can get along here.
« Last Edit: February 08 2006, 05:36 pm by Crystal_Wings »

Sig made by the wonderful bLuetopaz
~Forum Family~
-Little Sister-
Kai_Mizuki a.k.a. hack.<3.fly

Offline Wolf Blossom

• I Wanna Guy Like Syaoran!!!!
  • Good Fan
  • I Love Syaoran!!!!!
« Reply #156 on: February 10 2006, 09:03 am »
I guess i am a Christian....well i dunno i...I go to curch and everything but i feel like i am forced to...There is this winter camp and every youth person is going i didn't want to go...but my mom is making me go....there is this singing group for church i didn't want to be in it...my parents say that i should go i said i didn't want to and they told me the reason i don't want to is becuz i don't love God...I do i really do its just i want to get close to him not by my parents i wanna find him not be forced...you get me? i feel like i don't want to be becuz wel i am getting forved to =< i dunno what to do.
*~Wolf Blossom~*
For Each Day that passes By i can't help and stop To think About you....and you only, Your Smiles makes my Day, Your Eyes takes my Breath away...Syaoran Li I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
« Reply #157 on: February 10 2006, 08:54 pm »
Wolf Blossom, my advice would be to tell your parents how you feel. They should be able to understand that you need to sort out your beliefs on your own, without them forcing you. Good luck!

As for me, I was raised in a mix between Lutherian Protestantism and New Age (and alittle atheism to go with that). Go figure. Today I am an agnostic: considering all cultures through history have had their own gods in order to explain what was then unexplainable - such as where do babies come from and what's with these really huge bones we've found in the ground - I can't see why any of them would be correct. I could cope with there being some kind of creating force, but I don't see why that force would care whether we attend church or not and suchlike. Religion is responsible for alot of bad things, but I don't mind it as long as it makes people happy and allows them to believe in a meaning with their existence.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline AirKitty

• New Fan
  • I'm in my own little fan-obssesed world.....
« Reply #158 on: June 09 2006, 11:15 am »
Personallly i'm Christian, i go to a Ctholic school and i go to church there ( also we have to say a prayer before every subject, but its only like 2 seconds) so i don't go to church on Sundsays. i pray regulary and strongly believe in god, but i do add some stuff to my own beliefs. I like to mix science and religion , and love to use science to prove religion , so much fun to see my mom's face, ne? heheh...
~Regular occurences at my School~
Friend:" You do know that your not sopposed to read magna for your reading list?"
Me: " Um.... um.... yea, but what they don't know can't hurt them!"
    Art teacher(with german/french accent)" NO!!! No Anime eyes! I hate them! Make recular eyes on your kite!"
Me: Grumble....Grumble.... Art Teach:" What was that!?" Me: "Nothing..."
        ~ When kite is done~
Friend:" thats anime eyes on your kite, Kelley." Me: " You know that, I know that, But she doesn't!"
 ~ this happens alot at my school~