AuthorTopic: Your Opinion on Fanfics and their Pairings  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
Your Opinion on Fanfics and their Pairings
« on: April 14 2006, 12:50 pm »
Okay, I have a question: If you really love a pairing, does that mean you have to write at least one fanfic based on that pairing (it ends with the pairing)?

Okay, if you didn't understand that, I'll make an example. For example, if you liked the couple Syaoran/Sakura, do you HAVE to make a story that makes them a happy couple? If you liked Syaoran/Sakura, would it be alright for Syaoran to be with, Meiling, for example? Does making a Syaoran/Meiling fic when you are a HUGE fan of Syaoran/Sakura make you a traitor of Syaoran/Sakura?

Does the fanfiction you write define what couple you're a fan of?

Eek. I think I made that really confusing. Perhaps I shall edit this post later?
Live life. And love Syaoran. - Cherry-chan
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart
I'll try to visit as much as I can.

Offline bie liao

• Bishie of the moment : back on my Kamui spree
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Vampire + Love = Kamui
Re: Your Opinion on Fanfics and their Pairings
« Reply #1 on: April 14 2006, 12:58 pm »
No.  I've seen people who are firm Ranma and Akane followers do a Ranma/Cologne fic on a dare and pull it off beautifully as if they loved that pairing.  You don't HAVE to approve of the couple you do, but if your fans are lovers of the pairing you normally write about or that you openly support, they might not read a story that shows a different pair.

Personally (sorry) I wouldn't read a Meiling/Syaoran fic.
[ - Without a p a s t, and unable to see the f u t u r e, I am here in the p r e s e n t, believing in m y s e l f. - ]

The smile her highness gave me was so warm.  Just looking at it, I felt a warmth in my own chest.  I thought that I always, always wanted to see her smile. - Syaoran, TRC Volume 4

[ -  F o r u m  F a m i l y  - ]
Little sis - hikari_blaze ; babypigggy ; Okamirei ; wishingstarx
Big sis - Moon Li ; lilaznrycegurl ; Shiunu  ; Aya-chan
Aunt - pretty
Cousin - *+chibiwings+* ; Cherry-chan

My NEW Photobucket Account with never before seen graphics!

Offline Ralea

• Passing Through Life Unnoticed
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • When will we see each other again?
« Reply #2 on: April 14 2006, 01:03 pm »
No, it doesn't mean your a traitor of the pairing. Just think of it as a challenge when you write  a story about a pairing alternate to your favorite pairing.

~Forum family~                                             
Onii-chan : Kuropuppy
Onee-chan : Sayora Chan, lika-ichi
Ate : princess kakurine
Imoto-chan : Zeldi, Monse-chan
Twin sisters : fisah, xOLight AngelxO
Cousins : sofiacardcaptors, bluetopaz
Niece : Asuka

99% of the female population all think that Syaoran is the hottest bishie ever in both TRC & CCS. 1% is me! XD If you're one of the 1% who isn't so possesive over Syaoran, and wants him to be with Sakura only, copy and paste this into your sig.

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #3 on: April 14 2006, 01:06 pm »
No. I've seen people who are firm Ranma and Akane followers do a Ranma/Cologne fic on a dare and pull it off beautifully as if they loved that pairing. You don't HAVE to approve of the couple you do, but if your fans are lovers of the pairing you normally write about or that you openly support, they might not read a story that shows a different pair.

Personally (sorry) I wouldn't read a Meiling/Syaoran fic.

Yeah, I wouldn't really read a Meiling/Syaoran fic, either, it was just an example. I was just wondering about this since my cousin wrote a Kagome/Kouga fic even though she loves the Inuyasha/Kagome pairing. And uhhh, reviewers weren't exactly that supportive and called my cousin a traitor asked her how she could call herself an Inuyasha/Kagome lover. So yeah.
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart

Offline Ralea

• Passing Through Life Unnoticed
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • When will we see each other again?
« Reply #4 on: April 14 2006, 01:11 pm »
Aw, come on. That's just lame. Let her right any story as she please it, I mean it's not a crime if you decide to do something out of the ordinary now is it? Besides, there's what I call an overloading of fanfics where a pairing gets so much fics in them goodness knows if they are all read! Life needs a little spice you know.

~Forum family~                                             
Onii-chan : Kuropuppy
Onee-chan : Sayora Chan, lika-ichi
Ate : princess kakurine
Imoto-chan : Zeldi, Monse-chan
Twin sisters : fisah, xOLight AngelxO
Cousins : sofiacardcaptors, bluetopaz
Niece : Asuka

99% of the female population all think that Syaoran is the hottest bishie ever in both TRC & CCS. 1% is me! XD If you're one of the 1% who isn't so possesive over Syaoran, and wants him to be with Sakura only, copy and paste this into your sig.

Offline bie liao

• Dedicated Fan
  • Vampire + Love = Kamui
« Reply #5 on: April 14 2006, 01:12 pm »
Most people are diehard fans and therefore dislike any other couple.  I can actually stand Kouga/Kagome.  But I most certainly won't support it.

It is stupid and petty to insult and flame someone for wanting to broaden their minds and writing skills.  Half of writing is doing something you've never thought of; if you can succeed and make it work, that just proves that you're a great author.  If they don't like the pairing, they shouldn't read it.

I've never supported flaming because of pairings. I loathe Kikyou and her coupling with anyone at all, but I don't go around flaming people who do because its their ideas.  If an avid Kik/Inu fan wrote a Kag/Inu story, I might actually read it.  I don't care much about who they are and what they like most of the time, but the quality of the fanfiction they write.
[ - Without a p a s t, and unable to see the f u t u r e, I am here in the p r e s e n t, believing in m y s e l f. - ]

The smile her highness gave me was so warm.  Just looking at it, I felt a warmth in my own chest.  I thought that I always, always wanted to see her smile. - Syaoran, TRC Volume 4

Aunt - pretty

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #6 on: April 14 2006, 01:20 pm »
I don't think there is anything wrong with you. If you want to write a fanfiction about that pairing, go ahead. Let your creativity go wild! ^_^
Icon made by animeneko_chan @ lj.com

Forum Family

Fai and Zeldi are my cousins.
Sayora Chan is my onee-chan.
KuroPuppy and Tooya_Mizuki are my Onii-chans.
aishiteru is my Imoto-chan
suu_no_clover is my  Imoto-chan/Yin.
Lexi is my cat.

Offline Cherry-chan

• "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #7 on: April 14 2006, 01:51 pm »
Lol. I wasn't exactly the one writing the story, but thanks. My cousin's reading this right now, and she thanks you for your advice :) I agree, being stuck to only one pairing will not allow you to improve on your writing as much as exploring and experimenting in stories.

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #8 on: April 14 2006, 01:57 pm »
Lol. I know, but I'm just saying. If someone feels the urge to write about a certain pairing even though they're a fan of a completely different one, they shouldn't be afraid to explore it and create a well-written fanfic. Whether it be chapters long or just a simple one-shot. Myself, well, I don't really write stories about other pairings that I'm not in favor of. Although I might do that sometime.. now that I think about it. Might be fun to stretch my talents and see what I can do with different pairings. ;)
Icon made by animeneko_chan @ lj.com

Forum Family

Fai and Zeldi are my cousins.
Sayora Chan is my onee-chan.
KuroPuppy and Tooya_Mizuki are my Onii-chans.
aishiteru is my Imoto-chan
suu_no_clover is my  Imoto-chan/Yin.
Lexi is my cat.

Offline bie liao

• Dedicated Fan
  • Vampire + Love = Kamui
« Reply #9 on: April 14 2006, 02:00 pm »
I personally couldn't write another pairing.  I applaud your cousin for being able to, but my writing lacks passion when I attempt another pairing.  Tell her that she's got guts and I respect her for that.  I hope she ignores those idiots and continues her stories.

Aunt - pretty

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 14 2006, 03:37 pm »
I think it's cool to write about a pairing you don't necessarily support, as a sort of challenge, or "What if." It helps broaden your horizons, and it shows maturity to be able to find the appeal and the basis for ideas outside of your own.

For example: I am a REALLY diehard Touya/Yuki fangirl. They are completely meant for each other.

BUT I have considered the interesting dynamic that could be taken in writing a fic that pairs Touya with Tomoyo (I know...o.0) and Yuki with Meiling. (Meiling and Yuki especially interest me, because she is so agressive and he is so passive, and she tends to be rather immature, and he tends to be quite the opposite).

Do I agree with those pairings? Heck No.

But I think it would be an interesting story and a diffucult writing challenge (especially because, to keep from going OOC, I would need some valid reason that T/Y wouldn't work...and there really isn't one...)

I think it's good to branch out.

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #11 on: April 14 2006, 05:17 pm »
It is good to branch out... even still, there are and always will be pairings that I just can't stand to read, much less write about. XD Perhaps I'm just one of those obsessive, hard-core fans. On the other hand, there are pairings that, while I might enjoy another pairing more, I can stand to read and even enjoy. Some of it is doubtless due to simple arbitrary preferences; though, some, I think, is due to Time-Machine's point about validity. Pairings can't be random, there has to be some kind of sense to them. And some pairings just won't ever make sense to me; perhaps they make sense to another, but just not to me. And I really can't write something that I don't find valid. There is worth in branching out, but you can also branch out too much, I think. Therefore, I don't often go beyond my OTP's in stories, either reading or writing. But that's just me.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Cherry-chan

• "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #12 on: April 15 2006, 02:13 am »
I personally couldn't write another pairing.  I applaud your cousin for being able to, but my writing lacks passion when I attempt another pairing.  Tell her that she's got guts and I respect her for that.  I hope she ignores those idiots and continues her stories.

She worships you and praises you for saying that :sweatdrop:

I have yet to write a fanfic without Syaoran/Sakura in it. Maybe once I improve (my fanfics still need some work), I'll experiment with other couplings, even though I don't necessarily like them. It just may broaden my horizons and persepectives on them.

Offline Hikari B.

• "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #13 on: April 15 2006, 02:20 am »
Personally, I don't have a problem with reading stories with alternative pairing. It seems interesting and a change in pace once in a while. I have nothing against alternative couples so I don't mind reading stories with Syaoran/Meiling and so on.

moezychan

« Reply #14 on: April 15 2006, 04:27 am »
I tend to stick to my favorite pairings. I suppose I could write a fanfic that has a pairing that I don't like, but it would probably be hard for me to finish. I really commend those that can write a fanfic with a pairing they don't like. It can't be easy.

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #15 on: May 01 2006, 07:08 pm »
for inuyasha, i beleive in Kagome/inuyasha, BUT i also love to read lemony (sometimes ecchie) sesshomaru/kagome fics. where as i REFUSE to read any lemony Sess/rin fics.
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan