AuthorTopic: Backward mangas...er...a...Comic Books!!!  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
Backward mangas...er...a...Comic Books!!!
« on: March 21 2006, 01:48 pm »
English comic books in general as in DC Comics, Marvel, Image, Wildstorm and al the others. Which comic books, characters and companies do you like the most and enjoy reading and the artwork. Please discuss here :)

P.S. as to why this is in General Discussion, the English comic book companies differ from the Japanese mangas so this is the best place for this topic. Thank you.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
Re: Backward mangas...er...a...Comic Books!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21 2006, 09:42 pm »
I used to not like DC very much at all, But in these recent months I've started to really get into them.
I've always been a fan of the man guys like Superman, Batman and Robbin (Tim Drake, I though Dick Grayson was a bit egotistical)
I also really liked the DC Comic Young Justice, I loved the art especially aswell as the storylines.

I used to be a long running X-Men fan, but since one of the writers for uncanny X-Men messed everything up, It's lost a large degree of interest for me.
Spiderman is still one of my fav superheros. And Rogue used to be my fav female too, Also Cyclops has been my fav X-Man as of recently.

Ever since seeing Sonic in a crosover comic storyline I've been meaning to get some more comics with Shadowhawk in them but can never find/remmember them.
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

Offline Nightbird

• New Fan
  • Decepticon Queen
« Reply #2 on: March 23 2006, 10:29 am »
I love DC! I like the so-called second tier heros. Green Lantern,Flash,Green Arrow,Black Canary.The only one of the Big Three I buy regurly is Wonder Woman.

Marvel's House of M series came tumbling down on them. Fire Joe Quesada!!!
I don't like Mutantaphilitis:People who only read X-Men comic books and think they know everything about the Marvel Universe.
I so hate the fact that they had Dr.Doom lose to Magneto.:mad:
The only title I can stand is She-Hulk,and that's a comedy.Oh and the Fantastic Four when they are good.
Vexnet, you should try the Avengers.I would also give anything to see Captain America or pretty much anybody beat Wolverine. I need a laugh.

I like Golden Age Comics too. I don't own any but my friend Paul is inheriting Action Comics #4(Supermans first appearence!)as well as alot of others. My favorite superhero team is the JSA,but I love Sub-Mariner best of all the GA characters. Comics first anti-hero.
Back then,Manga would have been seen as enemy propraganda.So be forewarn that we were at war with Japan when the GA(38-51)was at it's height so if you see Japanse characters in negative lights.
I still hate the Dragon King for killing Firebrand II.She made it through the War and then... :sad5:
The fewer the men,the greater the glory-Henry V

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #3 on: March 23 2006, 11:44 am »
Vexnet, you should try the Avengers.I would also give anything to see Captain America or pretty much anybody beat Wolverine. I need a laugh.

I like Golden Age Comics too. I don't own any but my friend Paul is inheriting Action Comics #4(Supermans first appearence!)as well as alot of others. My favorite superhero team is the JSA,but I love Sub-Mariner best of all the GA characters. Comics first anti-hero.
Back then,Manga would have been seen as enemy propraganda.So be forewarn that we were at war with Japan when the GA(38-51)was at it's height so if you see Japanse characters in negative lights.
I still hate the Dragon King for killing Firebrand II.She made it through the War and then... :sad5:
Hm, I did try the Avengers for a while But I found myself buying for the sole purpose of seeing Captain America kick some butt. as for beating Wolvie, Tons of characters have beaten Wolvie, He used to be my fav character as a kid but now he's character to me has kind of diminished. It's nice to actually learn his real name tho and a backstory, that was nice.

They had Manga character feature in the Golden Age alongside/Against the Sub Mariner?
and Yeah, they used the war to promote the comics too XD Like Superman for example was used in a bunch of War posters.
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 23 2006, 11:46 am »
Superman first appeared in Action Comics #1, not #4 but still any book from the late 30's is a gem to have :)

"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

Offline Nightbird

• New Fan
  • Decepticon Queen
« Reply #5 on: March 23 2006, 01:31 pm »
Hm, I did try the Avengers for a while But I found myself buying for the sole purpose of seeing Captain America kick some butt. as for beating Wolvie, Tons of characters have beaten Wolvie, He used to be my fav character as a kid but now he's character to me has kind of diminished. It's nice to actually learn his real name tho and a backstory, that was nice.

They had Manga character feature in the Golden Age alongside/Against the Sub Mariner?
and Yeah, they used the war to promote the comics too XD Like Superman for example was used in a bunch of War posters.
Namor the Sub-Mariner,Captian America,and the Human Torch were Timely(later called Marvel)Comics first superteam. They fought mostly in the Atlantic.Red Skull,Baron Zemo,Baron von Blood.But one of Namors cousins called himself U-Man and fought for the Nazis.
I'm just saying comics in general at the time period.But I like the DCU's GA Divisions:JSA was in charge of Homefront,All-Star Squadron the West Coast(Hawaii),and the Freedom Fighters paved there way through Nazi Europe.
I'm obsessed with the 40s.

Offline Nightbird

• New Fan
  • Decepticon Queen
« Reply #6 on: April 02 2006, 03:46 am »
I just remembered that Golden Girl is/was a Japense GA character.She's Retcon though.(retroactive contiunity;adding stuff to what already happened)
Those were the days when a character named Wizard was original.
My favorite team: Injustice Society of the World
They were evenly balanced and they had a perfect plan:open all the prisons,kill the heros,and conquer th world.
Per Degaton-timetraveller
Wizard-believes heros are the villians!
Brainwave-he ended up marrying a heroine,hypnotist
Gambler-master of disguise,spy extrodinaire
Vandal Savage-Tech guy,money
Thinker-think of plans using thinking cap,actually Jay Garricks(first Flash) greatest foe

And if you add in all the others such as Soloman Grundy,Harlequin,Huntress & Sportsmaster,Icicle ,you're left with your head scratching:What went wrong?

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 02 2006, 09:51 am »
Nice to see someone who enjoys the greatness of comics that were the 40's...I myself a die-hard JSA fan :)

Offline Nightbird

• New Fan
  • Decepticon Queen
The Mighty Thor
« Reply #8 on: April 02 2006, 09:56 am »
Yes,but something else influenced me even more:The Mighty Thor.
The Norse Mythology, the concepts of mulitple dimensions & many panthenons living in this universe...it's made me more tolerant towards other people's religions.
Oh and Loki is so cool!I love Tricksters.I'll write a piece on why sometime & post it here.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 02 2006, 10:04 am »
I just remembered that Golden Girl is/was a Japense GA character.She's Retcon though.(retroactive contiunity;adding stuff to what already happened)
Those were the days when a character named Wizard was original.
My favorite team: Injustice Society of the World
They were evenly balanced and they had a perfect plan:open all the prisons,kill the heros,and conquer th world.
Per Degaton-timetraveller
Wizard-believes heros are the villians!
Brainwave-he ended up marrying a heroine,hypnotist
Gambler-master of disguise,spy extrodinaire
Vandal Savage-Tech guy,money
Thinker-think of plans using thinking cap,actually Jay Garricks(first Flash) greatest foe

And if you add in all the others such as Soloman Grundy,Harlequin,Huntress & Sportsmaster,Icicle ,you're left with your head scratching:What went wrong?

What went wrong is that though the villains form a team, in almost allcases they don't act as a team or when they do, the first chance that comes along, someone double-crosses another. You forgot one of my favorites...The Fiddler: nothing like using a violin and music to do your crimes with. The Shade was also another villain that was made rather cool by the Robinson/Harris Starman series (probably one of the few Post-Crisis DC books I really liked)

Offline Nightbird

• New Fan
  • Decepticon Queen
« Reply #10 on: April 02 2006, 10:08 am »
I agree.
The notable exception in any case would be the Flash Rogues.They operate like a mafia family, if you go after one they'll all come after you.
They all attended Captain Boomerangs funeral.

The worst example is any Batvillian team-up.They are mostly insane & ego-centric people,but they realise how much their goals conflict.