AuthorTopic: The English Language  (Read 23391 times)

moezychan

Re: The English Language
« Reply #20 on: February 25 2006, 07:40 am »
Yeah, American's say 'Zee' don't they...that makes me think of a happy expression...like 'WHEEEEEEEEE'

...'ZEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'

Haha.

I've honestly never heard that word before.

The southern accent is my fav accent in the entire World, For me it is anyway.

My favorite too. I love all kinds of accents, but it suprises me to no end that a person that lives in the same country as me can speak a completely different way. I love it.

Offline Becster

• ...Did someone say KuroFai?
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Made by meliwan <333
« Reply #21 on: February 25 2006, 07:54 am »
Ahhh...zeeee.

It's the American Z.

I said Zed. XD

Sig made by meliwan <3

Made by Capella
Remember Hideki Campaign: Chi's one and only 'Someone Just for Me'.

We KuroFai fangirls are so polite. We politely agree that everyone is allowed to like other pairings, we politely accept everyone else's opinions, and then we, very politely, of course, crush their arguments for other pairings with our infallible KuroFai logic. <3

Forum Family
Forum Wives: meliwan and Emiko <33 (Yay. Bigamy! XD)
Daughter: Kana-chan <3
Cousin: Capella

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #22 on: February 25 2006, 07:54 am »
Another interesting fact is that the word "snogging" is a british word, also "pear-shaped" and "bangers & mash" and I guess "eggit" is kinda british too lol
what the hell is Eggit?
Most americans I've talked to don't seem to know what Lush and Posh mean either.

...And American's spell it aluminum. ...Aluminium...they like leaving out vowels, don't they? XD

I personally pronounce scone with the hard 'o' too, and I think putting emphasis on the 'sc' bit (sck-on) sounds 'posher'...
I actually prefer the American way of spelling Aluminum. I just think it sounds better than Aluminium (plus I love the song called Aluminum by BNL, lol!)

uh.. the posh way always tended to be Sc-own around these parts.

We also pronounce it Al-oom-in-um, and I guess it can also be pronounced Al-oom-in-ee-um. (I didn't learn that until I met a guy from Canada a few years ago who pronounced it like that...I was way confused, thinking he was talking about some mythical element...)

And I lot of people from Europe and Canada seem to pronounce Z "zed"...that's probably the only one that left me the most confused when I first heard it. It sounded like a bad sci-fi movie villain. I was like "What's a Zed???"

lol
uhm, I've never heard anybody say Al-oom-in-ee-um. In these parts we say it more like Ally - u - mini - um.

and yeah we say Zed, I kept getting getting confused when people kect saying Zee, I just figured they were retarded.

I've honestly never heard that word before.

My favorite too. I love all kinds of accents, but it suprises me to no end that a person that lives in the same country as me can speak a completely different way. I love it.
They are talking about the Letter "Z"
and it looks like you quoted the wrong person (Time-Machine instead of me)
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

moezychan

« Reply #23 on: February 25 2006, 08:10 am »
They are talking about the Letter "Z"
and it looks like you quoted the wrong person (Time-Machine instead of me)

I understand. Thank you.

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 25 2006, 08:29 am »
I actually prefer the American way of spelling Aluminum. I just think it sounds better than Aluminium (plus I love the song called Aluminum by BNL, lol!)

uhm, I've never heard anybody say Al-oom-in-ee-um. In these parts we say it more like Ally - u - mini - um.

Another way to pronounce it...geeze...what is it with Aluminum? Canada vs. US vs. UK   XD

Canada's accent always really interested me. The word choice seems to lean more towards the English way of saying things, but the way words are pronounced seems closer to the American way (harder r's and not as round of o's and such...) and then you add in the whole French influence o.0

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #25 on: February 25 2006, 08:33 am »
Another way to pronounce it...geeze...what is it with Aluminum? Canada vs. US vs. UK XD

Canada's accent always really interested me. The word choice seems to lean more towards the English way of saying things, but the way words are pronounced seems closer to the American way (harder r's and not as round of o's and such...) and then you add in the whole French influence o.0
well when I was watching a BNL Documentry, The band is from Canada and they were talking about accents too and they said they say it just like the Americans (Aluminum) and not the English (Aluminium). I think there are only two ways.. at least of what I know of XD lol
I kinda wanna see a Japanese person say the british way of Aluminium.. with those "l's" XD lol

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #26 on: February 26 2006, 05:06 am »
Quote from: VexNet
what the hell is Eggit?
Most americans I've talked to don't seem to know what Lush and Posh mean either.
Eggit means "Idolt", I think it's more Irish then British, though some Brits do use that word. So basically Eggit is the Irish version of Baka.
Lol, I didn't know that Americans didn't know what Lush and Posh are

Anyway another difference is Cell phone and Mobile phone

Also notice the British and Americans prounce Vase and Vitamins differently?
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #27 on: February 26 2006, 07:11 am »
Eggit means "Idolt", I think it's more Irish then British, though some Brits do use that word. So basically Eggit is the Irish version of Baka.
Lol, I didn't know that Americans didn't know what Lush and Posh are

Anyway another difference is Cell phone and Mobile phone

Also notice the British and Americans prounce Vase and Vitamins differently?
The cell phone thing confuses me to no end in that Orange advert at the cinema.
Because I was associated with Americans for so long I got used to calling it a Cell phone, But in the Orange Wensdays advert the guy says "But silence doesn't sell phones" and I'm ALWAYS left there thinking... What the hell, You mean Sell Cell Phones or Sell Mobile Phone, or what??" and I still think the guy is an idiot for saying that, lol.

and Eggit... hm interesting.

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
« Reply #28 on: February 26 2006, 07:22 am »
I'm from Canada, and I've never heard anyone say Ah- loo- mi- ni- um instead of aluminum. It's kind of weird.
My teachers always get mad when I spell words the American way like, "color" instead of "colour'. One of my math teachers got really irritated with me because I spelled "meters (US)" instead of "metres(CAN)". I had to squint before I noticed the difference. Oh, the wonders of CANEnglish and USEnglish.
Live life. And love Syaoran. - Cherry-chan
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart
I'll try to visit as much as I can.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #29 on: February 26 2006, 07:37 am »
wow, I never even knew there was a deifferent between Meters and Metres.. o.O"

Offline babypigggy

• o1_loserkid.
  • "A True Fan"
  • miyuki,sasaki
« Reply #30 on: February 26 2006, 07:47 am »
I'm canadian as well teehee ^^;;

And i say Zed. I dont' know why..=\
I like the French accent, sounds funny ^^;; teehee..

-- never too far.. no matter how far ..
theONE's[<3]:
twinKITTY;; Zeldi
bigKITTY;; pretty,Quimmy,TimeMachine,Nyoko,Møon Li,sofiacardcaptors,Moezy-chan,-=kuro_woof=-,Sya0ran,bLuetopaz,Shuinu,bie_liao,aishiteru,Ashlee
bigPUPPY;; vexnet, Kasawa Lanford
littleKITTY;;Fai, Cardcaptors_Ria, baby.piglet

Offline Becster

• ...Did someone say KuroFai?
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Made by meliwan <333
« Reply #31 on: February 26 2006, 08:32 am »
Apparently American's don't know what "peckish" means...That amused me. I'm always using that word. XD

Sig made by meliwan <3

Made by Capella
Remember Hideki Campaign: Chi's one and only 'Someone Just for Me'.

We KuroFai fangirls are so polite. We politely agree that everyone is allowed to like other pairings, we politely accept everyone else's opinions, and then we, very politely, of course, crush their arguments for other pairings with our infallible KuroFai logic. <3

Forum Family
Forum Wives: meliwan and Emiko <33 (Yay. Bigamy! XD)
Daughter: Kana-chan <3
Cousin: Capella

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 26 2006, 12:03 pm »
I use the wrod pekish! A lot of people I know do. But it's not a very usual word. I think that's why we use it so much. No one ever says it, and it sounds funny and cool.

I love that word.

Swear words and what's considered "offensive" is different between cultures, too. Like most people I know say "bloody" all the time. "That's bloody brilliant" or when something irritates us "bloody _whateveritis_!" and it's not considered swearing. It's just words. But I was talking to an English woman in a bookstore, and I guess those are swear words in England (or at least, she considered them swear words). Someone else told me the word "bugger" is a swear too, and that's something I call my little brother all the time. "Little bugger" (in an affectionate way, of course).

Forum Family

moezychan

« Reply #33 on: February 26 2006, 12:03 pm »
Apparently American's don't know what "peckish" means...That amused me. I'm always using that word. XD

I know what that word means and I'm American. It means hungry.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #34 on: February 26 2006, 12:11 pm »
I use the wrod pekish! A lot of people I know do. But it's not a very usual word. I think that's why we use it so much. No one ever says it, and it sounds funny and cool.

I love that word.

Swear words and what's considered "offensive" is different between cultures, too. Like most people I know say "bloody" all the time. "That's bloody brilliant" or when something irritates us "bloody _whateveritis_!" and it's not considered swearing. It's just words. But I was talking to an English woman in a bookstore, and I guess those are swear words in England (or at least, she considered them swear words). Someone else told me the word "bugger" is a swear too, and that's something I call my little brother all the time. "Little bugger" (in an affectionate way, of course).
over here Bugger is teh equilevent to having your *** cheeks spread and being raped or being done up the ***. It's pretty offensive.
I'm guessing the majority of americans are mistaking the bugger for someone bugging someone (like an annoyiance)
Bloody is both offensive AND not offensive, It all depends on the context.
(A Bloody Mary is a drink, Bloody Mary is a *****)

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 26 2006, 12:21 pm »
Well, it not really someone who's annoying, necessarily. It's just kind of a throw-away insult, and not a very powerful one at that. Like booger or dumb-face. Almost a grade-school thing.

Have you ever read Ender's Game? I always wonder what the British would think of that book, considering the aliens are called "buggers" because they look like big insects. I wonder if they changed the word for the UK edition, because it's kind of a children's book.

Forum Family

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #36 on: February 26 2006, 12:32 pm »
I found the actual definition for Bugger:
Technically means to sodomize, but most people use the word in a variety of situations, often without realizing the true meaning.

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 26 2006, 02:42 pm »
Yeah. I think in America most people think of bugs, like insects. And that's really the only meaning we put behind it. Sodomy is definitly not part of the way we use it ever. If you tried to use it to reference sodomy peope would just be like "Are you an idiot?"

Kind of like the actual definitions or words like "dork" and "geek." Those were lost to any modern referencing ages ago (in fact, many dictionaries stop bothering printing the original definition of dork...which made me kind sad. It was always fun to look up for a cheap immature laugh). Trying to use them with their actual definition just wouldn't work. No one would know what you were talking about. (well....maybe with geek. I'm not sure, there).

Forum Family

Offline suu_no_clover

• Syaoran shipper. Beware the OTP. >:E
  • "A True Fan"
  • Listener; Lurker; 'Lol'-er.
« Reply #38 on: February 26 2006, 05:37 pm »
What about the term "dude"? I've been told it's fairly common in the western part of the US, where I am, but it's not used much elsewhere.
~*~sparkly signature goes here~*~

Livejournal // Last.FM // MyAnimeList

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #39 on: February 26 2006, 05:43 pm »
Erg, 'dude' is kind of a strange term. I use it myself fairly often because I like it, but most other people I know don't use it. I live in the southern US, just for reference. It's kinda considered a dated term, and not used often; it was a lot more common five, ten years ago.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign