AuthorTopic: The relationship between Yue and Clow?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Ando

• Just wasting my days...
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Ando's profile is a non-smoking area.
The relationship between Yue and Clow?
« on: February 03 2006, 03:10 am »
I don't think there's a thread about this. Anyway, here goes:

We all know that Yue loved - and still loves, but I'm speaking in past tense as the serie is ended - Clow a great deal, but what exactly was the nature of this love? Was their relationship similiar to that of father and son, or was there romance involved? If so, was it mutual?

When I first watched CCS, it never occured to me that Yue's feelings could be anything else than what a child would feel for a highly beloved parent, but after rewatching the anime and reading the manga, I started to doubt that theory. Just think about when Clow told Kerberos and Yue that he was about to die - in the manga they get kind of close to each other one or two times during this flashback in a somewhat... over-familiar way. Or that might just be my vivid imagination. :heh:

No, seriously. CLAMP do have a thing for adding some shounen-ai into their works, and at least in CCS most same-gendered romantic feelings are very subtle, so I don't think it's impossible to assume that Yue was in love with Clow. I'd say that his reactions whenever encountering anything that's got to do with Clow (why, it's true. Remember how recklessly he acted upon seeing Eriol in the school-yard?) really imply that he loved him. However, I don't reckon Clow returned his feelings, especially since he got Kaho.

However, here's where my theory falters. Yue never seem to mind Mizuki, does he? At least he never says that he doesn't like her, and when Eriol explains to Kaho how he created Spinel and Nakuru in order to make Kerbero's and Yue's acceptance of not having him as their master anymore, easier, a romantic relationship between Clow and Yue would rather mean that Mizuki is Yue's "replacer". Of course, there is the possibility that Eriol is just being tactful (who would want to hear about their lover's ex anyway? Or even a one-sided crush?), but that would make Nakuru's existence quite pointless (not that she does any good to begin with, constantly interupting the most perfect couple in anime history, but that's beside the point).

In spite of this, I'd go for that Yue really was in love with his master, as I tend to like romance only if
1) the lovers are absolutely perfect for each other. No less than perfect (that is, Touya and Yukito).
2) if the love is unanswered. Unhappy endings for the win!

So, what are your theories? And please, don't just say "I (don't) think they were in love" - write why you think so as well! I want this to be a discussion of one of the most overlooked canon(?) couples in CCS. Although I might have said all there is to say already... I hope not. :sweatdrop:

And please, please don't write stuff like "Eeeew! Gays are discusting!", 'cause that's not a very discussion-ly thing to say. Not very nice, either.
« Last Edit: February 03 2006, 04:01 am by Ando »
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Offline Chang

• Dedicated Fan
  • yat yan sei gaai bui
Re: The relationship between Yue and Clow?
« Reply #1 on: February 12 2006, 06:10 pm »
from your evidence, it sounds plausible that there was a romantic relationship between yue and clow...but i still don't believe it yet. i need more evidence =) i think it's more of a "i love my daddy" relationship.
I wonder what kind of fate awaits me?
I don't want to regret being born
There is courage inside my sadness
I believe I can grasp that radiance
The tears of the blue sky are pouring down
One day they'll change into smiles

Forum Family:
Tatasenko: my awesome sister ^_^

Offline Briar Rose

• La Vie Boheme!
« Reply #2 on: February 13 2006, 05:17 am »
Personally, I think that it was more of a romantic relationship. I kind of had an inkling towards the end of the manga. As for Yue not being jealous of Mizuki, right now I'm sort of thinking that perhaps Yue came to accept that Eriol wasn't really Clow Red, but onmly half, hence he wasn't jealous. Though, I'm not sure I really believe that. I haven't read the manga in a while, so maybe I should read it again...

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 13 2006, 05:48 am »
Whee! Answers!

Briar Rose: what you said made me realize something - nobody knew about the Eriol/Mizuki thing until the tea party was nearly finished, right?  Kaho made her entrance pretty late, after Eriol and Yue had had their conversation and Eriol saying how he and Clow Reed weren't the same person (at least if I remember correctly), and thus, when the couple was official, Yue had already begun the process of letting Clow go. That also means he couldn't have brought up the subject when speaking to Eriol, as he didn't knew about it. Or something like that.
Signifying nothing.

Offline Ruby Chan

• Yet Another Anime Obsessive
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #4 on: February 20 2006, 05:27 am »
In my opinion, I've always thought that Yue and Clow were romantically linked. Right from Yue's introduction to the CCS manga, we were told that he loved Clow...and the seriousness of his face made it obvious that it wasn't just a love of a father/creator. In my mind, their relationship mirrored that of Touya's and Yukito's....

Clow wanted Yue to end up with the new mistress of the Clow Cards, didn't he? Isn't that a clue that he wanted Yue to be happy in a situation similar to their own one? Yue's too heartbroken and regretful to be merely missing the love of a parent...he's missing his lover.

My Fanfiction              AnimeFicathon             My LJ
FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #5 on: February 20 2006, 05:42 am »
Personally, I think Yue was romantically in love with Clow but Clow didn't return the feelings; to Clow, Yue was too much his child to be a romantic interest. I personally think Clow views almost everybody as a beloved child, just by how he treats Sakura, Syaoran, Kero, and Yue; he acts like a father manipulating his children for their own good. The Yue/Clow relationship almost has incest overtones, because Clow is a father-figure to Yue, and did, in fact, create Yue. Clow, however, realized that Yue's feelings were different from his own; that is part of the many reasons behind Clow splitting his soul and leaving Yue to judge the candidate for Master/Mistress of the Cards. Clow knew he would never return Yue's feelings, and so he set it up for Yue to find the one Yue was really supposed to be with, assuming that Yue would fall in love with the new Mistress. Course, it didn't turn out that way; Yue/Yukito fell in love with Touya instead.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Ando

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 20 2006, 06:36 am »
Announcement: you guys have made me officially tip over to the unrequited love-side. I shall be in doubt no longer!

However, I find the thought of Clow intending Yue to fall in love with Sakura (since he knew it'd be her) somewhat disturbing, but considering that CLAMP gave us Rika/Terada, I suppose it's possible that he did meant things to turn out that way. In fact, the more I think of it, the more sense it makes, however disturbing it may be. Thank goodness Touya was around.

Quote from: Ruby Chan
Yue's too heartbroken and regretful to be merely missing the love of a parent...

Exactly what I started thinking after reading and re-watching the serie. All those times he startled upon hearing Clow's name... the meeting at the school-yard... the fierceness of how he would always defend Clow... Adding the heartbrokenness, that just is too much angst for the loss of a parent. Waah, now I'm getting all teary-eyed. Evil, evil Clow to hurt Yue so much...

No one's thinking anything about Nakuru? If the love was of romantical nature, she wouldn't make much sense. Sure, she's needed for the relationship between Touya and Yukito and the business with the fading power, but she wouldn't be the real replacer, right? (now I've got this crazy image of Kaho stalking and glomping Touya in prevention of him confessing that he knows about Yue... :lol:).
Signifying nothing.