AuthorTopic: General Sakura x Syaoran Thread  (Read 50559 times)

moezychan

Re: General Sakura x Syaoran Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 30 2005, 02:22 pm »
that's what i reckon, she is extremely important to him =]p~~

also i thought not calling a person name with out a affix is very bold ? *shrugs*

I can be bold, but at the same time rude. Here's what the book says:

[blank]: Usually forgotten in these lists, but perhaps the most significant difference between Japanese and English. The lack of honorific means that the speaker has permission to address the person in a very intimate way. Usually, only family, spouses or very close friends have this kind of permission. Known as yobisute, it can be gratifying when someone who has earned the intimacy starts to call one by one's name without an honorific. But when that intimacy hasn't been earned, it can also be very insulting.

This is why I'm asking that question. I didn't see Sakura give Syaoran permission, and I'm curious as to why he regards her as Sakura. I guess I'll go with my theory, though I still have doubts.

Offline Cherry tiger

• Supporter of C!S+S
  • Obsessed Fan
  • I cannot fathom it, honestly...
« Reply #21 on: September 30 2005, 02:24 pm »
I have a question, and it concerns Syaoran more than Sakura. When I got Volume 1 of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, it gave the reasons of the different affixes for the names, such as -chan , -kun , -san and so forth. At the end they explained that to not have an affix means that the people are very close, but it also mentioned that if you aren't close, it can be very insulting if you don't regard a person with an affix.

Now this is my question, as all the people who watch Card Captor Sakura know, in episode 57 Sakura, Syaoran, and the Elevator, Syaoran calls Sakura by her first name. At the end of the episode, Sakura calls Li-kun by his first name, Syaoran-kun. She gives him an affix -kun, but he doesn't ever regard her by an affix. He only calls her Sakura.

Part of me wants to think that Sakura is very special to Syaoran, although we already know that, but is he being insulting, or is he saying that she is extremely important to him? I'm not trying to make Syaoran seem like a jerk, because he will forever be my favorite character. I've just always wondered it. I would appreciate any comments to this.

If you've noticed, Syaoran has never called anyone with any suffixes. He calls Tomoyo "Daidoji", he calls Meiling by her name, and it's the same with Sakura. It could be because he's from Hong Kong where suffixes are not really important.

Whereas for Sakura, being brought up in Japan where suffixes are important, she shows respect to Syaoran by adding "-kun". She still calls Tomoyo with the "-chan" so that shows that she's just being respectful. Sakura's still young and probably has never heard about calling someone without the suffixes means you're close to that person. In Tsubasa, her brother told her but I don't think Touya or anyone in the series told her about it. Thus, she still use suffixes.

That's what I think...

cute little sis:Goku[cardcaptors_ria]
cousin: yume-chan

Need singers to sing my english version of any songs! Check out this blog to see the list of songs you can sing from and please contact me if you're interested! Thanks!

My fanfictions@My Music Videos (on Youtube)@My Myspace@My LJ

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #22 on: September 30 2005, 02:28 pm »
I can be bold, but at the same time rude. Here's what the book says:

[blank]: Usually forgotten in these lists, but perhaps the most significant difference between Japanese and English. The lack of honorific means that the speaker has permission to address the person in a very intimate way. Usually, only family, spouses or very close friends have this kind of permission. Known as yobisute, it can be gratifying when someone who has earned the intimacy starts to call one by one's name without an honorific. But when that intimacy hasn't been earned, it can also be very insulting.

This is why I'm asking that question. I didn't see Sakura give Syaoran permission, and I'm curious as to why he regards her as Sakura. I guess I'll go with my theory, though I still have doubts.

I thought she gave him permission, when she called him up, near the end of the elevator epidosde. When she mentioned how he called her Sakura, and then she asked if she could call him Syaoran. She was happy when he called her as "Sakura"

Syaoran assumed that since Sakura can call him by his first name, he could call her "Sakura".

besides she doesnt seem to mind, even if she didnt give him permission.

moezychan

« Reply #23 on: September 30 2005, 02:31 pm »
If you've noticed, Syaoran has never called anyone with any affixes. He calls Tomoyo "Daidoji", he calls Meiling by her name, and it's the same with Sakura. It could be because he's from Hong Kong where suffixes are not really important.

Whereas for Sakura, being brought up in Japan where suffixes are important, she shows respect to Syaoran by adding "-kun". She still calls Tomoyo with the "-chan" so that shows that she's just being respectful. Sakura's still young and probably has never heard about calling someone without the suffixes means you're close to that person. In Tsubasa, her brother told her but I don't think Touya or anyone in the series told her about it. Thus, she still use suffixes.

That's what I think...

This is where I have my doubts though. I considered that because Syaoran was from Hong Kong he wasn't going to use suffixes, but how do you explain Meiling then? She calls Sakura Kinomoto-san, and Tomoyo Daidouji-san and she's also from Hong Kong. I just can't figure it out.

I thought she gave him permission, when she called him up, near the end of the elevator epidosde. When she mentioned how he called her Sakura, and then she asked if she could call him Syaoran. She was happy when he called her as "Sakura"

Syaoran assumed that since Sakura can call him by his first name, he could call her "Sakura".

besides she doesnt seem to mind, even if she didnt give him permission.

And you do have a point there Ced-san. That's a possibility.

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #24 on: September 30 2005, 02:38 pm »
This is where I have my doubts though. I considered that because Syaoran was from Hong Kong he wasn't going to use suffixes, but how do you explain Meiling then? She calls Sakura Kinomoto-san, and Tomoyo Daidouji-san and she's also from Hong Kong. I just can't figure it out.

And you do have a point there Ced-san. That's a possibility.

Glad to help. =]

Maybe because back then, how Syaoran was mean and only cared about himself, he called people with no affix because he didnt care, he thought they didnt earn his respect.  After awhile when he did care for other people and respect them, he just got use to it.

With Meiling, probaly shes much more polite than Syaoran when she first came to Japan, she didnt have any reason to be rude.

Offline Cherry tiger

• Supporter of C!S+S
  • Obsessed Fan
  • I cannot fathom it, honestly...
« Reply #25 on: September 30 2005, 02:40 pm »

It could also be by the way they were each thought the language. Maybe to Syaoran, the suffixes mean nothing but to Meiling, she regards it. I don't know for sure really... but it's just a thought.

cute little sis:Goku[cardcaptors_ria]
cousin: yume-chan

Need singers to sing my english version of any songs! Check out this blog to see the list of songs you can sing from and please contact me if you're interested! Thanks!

My fanfictions@My Music Videos (on Youtube)@My Myspace@My LJ

moezychan

« Reply #26 on: September 30 2005, 02:43 pm »
Glad to help. =]

Maybe because back then, how Syaoran was mean and only cared about himself, he called people with no affix because he didnt care, he thought they didnt earn his respect.  After awhile when he did care for other people and respect them, he just got use to it.

With Meiling, probaly shes much more polite than Syaoran when she first came to Japan, she didnt have any reason to be rude.

That's also a good point, but again, here's where I have my doubts. In Japan, they judge personality types by blood type, and Meiling is a type B. People with type B do not regard rules, and prefer to do things their own way and this fits Meiling to a tee. It's all so confusing. I really think too hard.

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #27 on: September 30 2005, 02:46 pm »
That's also a good point, but again, here's where I have my doubts. In Japan, they judge personality types by blood type, and Meiling is a type B. People with type B do not regard rules, and prefer to do things their own way and this fits Meiling to a tee. It's all so confusing. I really think too hard.

Yeah dont think too hard about it,
 maybe it's just one of those things that CLAMP did for no reason XD

moezychan

« Reply #28 on: September 30 2005, 02:48 pm »
Yeah dont think too hard about it,
 maybe it's just one of those things that CLAMP did for no reason XD

Yeah, I really over-analyze. I'm those types that absorb information like a sponge, and when I'm done absorbing, I try to find more information and that means dragging people in.

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #29 on: September 30 2005, 02:51 pm »
Yeah, I really over-analyze. I'm those types that absorb information like a sponge, and when I'm done absorbing, I try to find more information and that means dragging people in.

I guess its natrual for you, after all your our Forum Counselor, you need to think things in depth =]p~

Oh yeah i wasn't happy how they just suddenly made ms menzies have a role, i mean like she was good and all, but the last episode how the explained her perpose in like a few mins., it wasnt enough for me XD

there was one question that bugged me about her role, but i cant remember XD

Offline bLuetopaz

• .::the illuminating heart::.
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #30 on: September 30 2005, 06:58 pm »
for me.. it was Cardcaptor Sakura which made me hook on to animes (the only anime that i have the complete set! :D).. and i totally adore it.. watching CCS just makes me less stressful too..

plus, the coupling of Sakura and Syaoran was so cute and sweet..

Forum Family:
Little bro: Tooya_Mizuki
Little sis: fisah :: lika-chi :: Starfire :: sofiacardcaptors :: Angelic-Essence :: Ruby Chan :: -=kuro_woof=- :: cardcaptors_ria :: Fai :: babypigggy :: .HACk//kite//shUgO
Cousin: Ralea :: CherryandWolfLover :: Zeldi :: yume-chan
---

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #31 on: September 30 2005, 08:18 pm »
The funny thing is that I was introduced Cardcaptors (American) version and i thought it was the best, untill i realised they had very odd gaps and some of the scenes didnt add up, like it didnt make sense....

Until i realised the real version was CCS, i cried my eyes out!!!

I witnessed a work against nature!! it took me 4 years just to watch CCS *this year*
So during the four years i forgot about CCS, untill i got back into it early this year... XD *a huge gap*

But when I finaly watched CCS, my horrible memories of  cardcaptors finaly disapered and it rekintled my love for CCS!!!

moezychan

« Reply #32 on: September 30 2005, 10:14 pm »
The funny thing is that I was introduced Cardcaptors (American) version and i thought it was the best, untill i realised they had very odd gaps and some of the scenes didnt add up, like it didnt make sense....

Until i realised the real version was CCS, i cried my eyes out!!!

I witnessed a work against nature!! it took me 4 years just to watch CCS *this year*
So during the four years i forgot about CCS, untill i got back into it early this year... XD *a huge gap*

But when I finaly watched CCS, my horrible memories of  cardcaptors finaly disapered and it rekintled my love for CCS!!!

That's how I found out about it! I thought it was a great show, but then I also noticed that they cut things out, and there were differences in the characters, and I couldn't figure it out. I found out through my sister actually. She was visiting Cardcaptors (shudders) website by Nelvana (shudders again) and I checked it out, but I found another website that gave me the real information on Card Captor Sakura!

As much as I hate Cardcaptors, I'm grateful actually. If I didn't watch it, and they didn't do such a horrible job, I know I wouldn't love Card Captor Sakura as much, or Tsubasa for that matter.

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #33 on: September 30 2005, 10:21 pm »
The huge gaps and stuff i started to notice, i just forgot about it straight away because what I really wanted to see was S+S to develop after the first season of cardcaptors, but what i was waiting for wasnt there. Until the very last episode and scene when she was crying, i was thinking what the hell just happened?? and she didnt even mentioned anyones name, and just said a bunch of bs and the hope card was created, the end of cardcaptors...

I WAS LYK WTF!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO SYAORAN!!! then i had to check it out what really was happening XD

moezychan

« Reply #34 on: September 30 2005, 10:41 pm »
The huge gaps and stuff i started to notice, i just forgot about it straight away because what I really wanted to see was S+S to develop after the first season of cardcaptors, but what i was waiting for wasnt there. Until the very last episode and scene when she was crying, i was thinking what the hell just happened?? and she didnt even mentioned anyones name, and just said a bunch of bs and the hope card was created, the end of cardcaptors...

I WAS LYK WTF!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO SYAORAN!!! then i had to check it out what really was happening XD

I was actually in denial about the whole episode! I had read transcripts on the internet about the ending and the whole time I kept waiting for Syaoran to make his love confession, and when they didn't I kept watching that episode like 10 times thinking that maybe they might have made a mistake, or I wasn't paying attention, but they did remove it. I'm actually happy about that though.

I knew that the scenes were cut out from reading the transcripts and it didn't bother me. I just made myself get over it, but the minute they cut out Syaoran's love confession, I draw the line! Also, just by removing those 5 words, I knew that the 2nd movie wouldn't air because the entire movie was based on Syaoran saying, "I'm in love with you!"

But I eventually got to see the entire original series, so I'm happy now!

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #35 on: September 30 2005, 10:44 pm »
I was actually in denial about the whole episode! I had read transcripts on the internet about the ending and the whole time I kept waiting for Syaoran to make his love confession, and when they didn't I kept watching that episode like 10 times thinking that maybe they might have made a mistake, or I wasn't paying attention, but they did remove it. I'm actually happy about that though.

I knew that the scenes were cut out from reading the transcripts and it didn't bother me. I just made myself get over it, but the minute they cut out Syaoran's love confession, I draw the line! Also, just by removing those 5 words, I knew that the 2nd movie wouldn't air because the entire movie was based on Syaoran saying, "I'm in love with you!"

But I eventually got to see the entire original series, so I'm happy now!

Yeah CCS just made me strengthen my love *shrugs*

But do you know why they made that monstrosity *cardcaptors*
Why cant they just live it as it was when they dubbed it??

moezychan

« Reply #36 on: September 30 2005, 10:46 pm »
Yeah CCS just made me strengthen my love *shrugs*

But do you know why they made that monstrosity *cardcaptors*
Why cant they just live it as it was when they dubbed it??

The reason on here is they are just baka's and aren't worth our time. I gave up analyzing them. I may over-analyze, but I know when I've gone too far.

Offline c3d

• KB24 for MVP =]p
  • Super Fan
  • Ceddie
« Reply #37 on: September 30 2005, 10:49 pm »
The reason on here is they are just baka's and aren't worth our time. I gave up analyzing them. I may over-analyze, but I know when I've gone too far.

bahahah ok ill just leave it as that, they're just idiots ^^  :hehe:

Offline fisah

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Pathetically Obesessed
« Reply #38 on: October 01 2005, 11:39 pm »
For your suffix question moezy-chan, I'm quite confused myself. I remember how Syaoran/Meiling said that it was extermely intimate to say someone's first name. I would go to cultrural route, but then it would have to apply to Meiling as well :haha:

Though when you think about it, using suffixes are also a way of saying how close you are to someone, or if you have respect for them. In the beginning, Syaoarn just said 'Kinomoto' or 'you'. He wasnt very respectful to her, or his peers even. I dont think its in Syaoran's personality to use "-san" or even "-chan". Perhaps once he started to like her, he just called her 'Sakura', which is his way of showing that they've become closer rather than adding the suffix '-san' or even '-chan'.

To me, its most likely Syaoran showing they've become closer. If anything, I doubt he was insulting Sakura, he doesn't seem like the type to do that to people he likes.

Oh, I thought of another thing! I remember from statistics that Syaoran's least favourite subject was Japanese, so perhaps he's not as good as it as Meiling...?

I'm probably over-analyzing as well >.<
A Dream
A Glitter
A Peacful Serenity

Kira x Lacus

Forum Family <3

Little Sister- Zeldi
Sister-Lika-chi (twin? XD), Endoh, Angelic-Essence
Big Sister- moezy-chan, SofiaofCardcaptors, bluetopaz
Big Brother-Tooya_Mizuki

moezychan

« Reply #39 on: October 02 2005, 12:32 am »
That's a possibility fisah-chan. The best one I've heard so far! Arigatou!