AuthorTopic: Character post limitation...  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
Character post limitation...
« on: April 09 2005, 12:20 am »
I'm kind of disturbed by the 3500-character limitation you've set for forum posts. In many forums I usually make freakishly long posts with loads of information in them (check my CCS review on my Introduction thread), but now it's not like that. Especially in the Fan Creations thread, where fanfics cet uncomfortably punctuated, making the story flow a lot less smoothly than it should.

There really isn't any point in setting a character limitation for posts. At all. It does nothing to help. If you're trying to prevent spam or flooding, it's not going to work, since they can come in any size.

I seriously don't understand why this limitation has been set, but I ask that it be removed as it does little to promote the community, and more to negate the comfort of others. Please remove the limitation for everyone's benefit.
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

Offline D.J.P

• Sakura is Mine!!
  • Administrator
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
Re: Character post limitation...
« Reply #1 on: April 09 2005, 12:37 am »
well for fanfiction that soon won't be a problem since I'm almost done with a proper fan-fiction system for the site.

I find the limit should be more then acceptable (before I uped it last it was 1000), however your suggestion will be taken into consideration.
-- 'Expect the unexpected' -- Keroberos (Cardcaptor Sakura) --
-- To err is human; to really foul things up takes a computer. --
Robin Sena's Card Sets: Download Here (Last Updated: 12th May 2006 10.10PM AEST)
------------------------------------------------
I host this domain, be nice :) and Read the Forum Rules!
Avatar made by Sofiacardcaptors. Signature image by Bluetopaz
 My WoW Characters | Support CapturedWings.net | Web-Hosting Now Available

Offline Little Wolf

• Head Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • "A True Fan"
  • "coz my heart keeps falling faster..." :P
« Reply #2 on: April 09 2005, 03:41 am »
yep, SLi is making the fanfic system which this forum will use so you don't have to worry anymore of character limits once that section opens.

As for the character limit here, I've thought about it and I understand what you mean. Yes, it might not prevent all forms of spam but I also have other reasons in putting that limit. I didn't want members to post long articles. I wanted members to use either the attachment feature or post a link to the webpage with the article.

You see, an extremely long post can make a forum page load really slow. Just imagine how much unnecessary server load it will generate everytime the page is viewed. Members will be forced to wait for the page to load fully before they could make a reply and even if they had already read the long post. And remember that guests are also able to view the posts here without the need to register.

And as SLi had said, I believe the current limit is more than enough already for most average-length articles. I appreciate your suggestion though so I'm thanking you for that. :)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 09 2005, 03:46 am »
^_^ No problem, I guess. And I guess you have good reasons for the limitations. But I'm really glad you're thinking about implementing a fan-fiction system. Will it have reviews and stuff?
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

Offline Little Wolf

• Head Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • "A True Fan"
  • "coz my heart keeps falling faster..." :P
« Reply #4 on: April 09 2005, 04:03 am »
Yes, I believe it will have. You can ask SLi for more details about it cause he's the one making it.

Hopefully, soon we'll have a complete fan community with a forum, gallery and fanfic section. :)

Offline D.J.P

• Sakura is Mine!!
  • Administrator
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
« Reply #5 on: April 09 2005, 09:33 am »
yes the fan-fiction system will have a review/discussion system, but you will have to wait to see how it works :D
-- 'Expect the unexpected' -- Keroberos (Cardcaptor Sakura) --
-- To err is human; to really foul things up takes a computer. --
Robin Sena's Card Sets: Download Here (Last Updated: 12th May 2006 10.10PM AEST)
------------------------------------------------
I host this domain, be nice :) and Read the Forum Rules!
Avatar made by Sofiacardcaptors. Signature image by Bluetopaz
 My WoW Characters | Support CapturedWings.net | Web-Hosting Now Available