AuthorTopic: My latest AMV: The Odyssey  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
My latest AMV: The Odyssey
« on: August 16 2005, 06:41 am »
Well, I'm back from a long dormancy. I seemed to have let CCS slip from my interest range for a while. However, I thought, "you know, I really liked this series back then," so I decided... why not try to get my interest back up, so I can enjoy CCS once more?

I decided to make a music video on CCS. And I did. What it did was made me go through episodes searching for the right clips, and during that process I ended up enjoying full episodes, which really extended my production days. At last, I'm finished. It's still in a kind of beta, though... not in the final version. I plan to fix some minor flaws.

The video I made is called The Odyssey. It chronicles Sakura's journey through the entire series, from beginning to end, turning more than 23 hours of video into merely 5 minutes of footage, and it mainly focuses on how long of an adventure it was, and how far she has come since she first took hold of the seal cane.

The song used in the video is called "Follow",  which is the first movement of four in a 26 minute-long instrumental called "The Odyssey", by Incubus. It is featured on the Halo 2 soundtrack, which will explain the vocalistic ascension featured in every Halo game's soundtrack at the beginning of the song.

The video is split into four movements, or sections, each which chronicle a different part of the story. Each of the four movements is named after an episode in the Card Captor Sakura series.

• The prologue movement isn't named or labeled, nor is it really an actual movement,, but it shows how Sakura came to be a Cardcaptor, and merely lasts a few seconds.
  • The first movement, titled "Sakura and the Mysterious Magic Book", shows her first few days as a Cardcaptor, and how much trouble it was alone.
  • There is a short transition between the first and second movements. It shows Sakura's and Syaoran's first encounter.
  • The second movement, titled "Sakura's Rival Appears", introduces Syaoran and how much of a difference he made to Sakura's journey... as her first realistic opposing force.
  • There is a short transition between the second and third movements. It shows Sakura's first encounter with Yue, and pieces of the ensuing battle.
  • The third movement, titled "Sakura and her True Feelings", depicts the time Sakura and Syaoran spent together as allies and best friends.

Meilin is sparsely featured in the video, but viewers may notice that her scenes are a tiny bit forced. It was hard to put Meilin in there, and to make it worse, those who've never seen CCS up to this point will not know what the meaning of her existence is in the show. It's a choice I regret, but I could not leave Meilin out of the video, since she is such an essential to the series.

Yue is also featured in the video, in the one scene between movements 2 and 3, where Sakura combats against him in the Final Judgement. This scene was where I made the choice I regretted the most throughout all of production. It was extremely forced, incredibly flawed, and I had to shorten it so much in order to fit the music. I even made edits to the music to make it seem longer than it really was, just so I could fit this essential scene, and even still it barely fit. Much of the important footage was cut, including the aftermath, or any footage of Sakura ever winning that battle.

All in all, the video isn't in its final stage. I'm gonna try to fix some of the sections I'm not completely satisfied with. But until then...

Click to download: YouSendIt.com | RapidShare.de (320 x 240 | 22.41 MB)
Click to download: YouSendIt.com | RapidShare.de (640 x 480 | 42.46 MB)

Watch and review, please. Don't just tell me it's good or bad. Tell me why, too. Because, as a beta, it requires additional feedback until I move it into its final stage. Many thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 23 2005, 05:08 pm by Takeru Â¥amamoto »
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

Offline Ruby Chan

• Yet Another Anime Obsessive
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
Re: My latest AMV: The Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: August 16 2005, 07:03 am »
I loved it! You managed to put so much of the series into it, it was a fantastic journal of all the things that Sakura went through. You even managed to show (at least I think so) how Sakura turned from girl to woman without really leaving her childhood behind.

That's it! You get a cookie!

My Fanfiction              AnimeFicathon             My LJ
FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline aishiteru

• dedicated to animes & asian dramas
  • Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #2 on: August 16 2005, 07:16 am »
i really liked it! it showed a lot on how sakura has changed so much through the series. i loved it!
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #3 on: August 16 2005, 07:25 am »
Good Job. ^^
Icon made by animeneko_chan @ lj.com

Forum Family

Fai and Zeldi are my cousins.
Sayora Chan is my onee-chan.
KuroPuppy and Tooya_Mizuki are my Onii-chans.
aishiteru is my Imoto-chan
suu_no_clover is my  Imoto-chan/Yin.
Lexi is my cat.

Offline Shadeslayer

• Fire
  • "A True Fan"
  • *wink*
« Reply #4 on: August 16 2005, 11:28 am »
Nice Job! Have a cookie! :)

Amazing set by Eurydice! :keke:

Forum Family

Sisters: Dragonia, KawaiiHana, Charme, Monse-chan, Director Of Music, Okamirei, Lexi, Fai, Mizuki Kai, Star Wings and Wishingstarx

Aunt: Moon Li

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 17 2005, 02:25 am »
Wow, two cookies? O_o *is grateful*

I could say I worked really hard on this video... lots of planning, and I tried to put a lot of thought into it. I'm proud of the final result, and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. While my CCS interest is once again sparked, there is still nothing new that I haven't already seen, and little more to discuss, so likely my interest will fade away fast. Simply put, this may be my final contribution to the CCS community. And I really hope it has made its impact.

Update: Added a second link to the video. It's a higher resolution for those with good net speeds. I'm gonna encode an extreme lo-res version for those using dial-up.
« Last Edit: August 17 2005, 05:05 am by Takeru Â¥amamoto »

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
  • Every man dies but not every man really lives
« Reply #6 on: August 17 2005, 11:07 am »
That was an awesome music video!  It really captures the powerful themes in CCS. I would give you a cookie, but I'm not sure how...

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17 2005, 12:59 pm »
Nya, I wish I knew too, so I could give cookies to those who gave me cookies... ;-;

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #8 on: August 17 2005, 01:48 pm »
off topic -- i read that you can't give cookies until you've had 300 posts. i don't know if little wolf has changed it again.

i hope that answers your question.

i still like the amv `=)
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 19 2005, 02:18 am »
Darnit. Well I'll ask him...

Until then, have a plushie toy. =P

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #10 on: August 19 2005, 03:28 am »
oohh plushie toy!

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 22 2005, 02:54 am »
Teehee ^^

Offline rtexal

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #12 on: August 22 2005, 09:36 pm »
wow nice amv there!
however i think the transition between movement sections kinda retard the flow and action of the amv :)
(i even thought for a moment that it was a halo video at the start :p)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 23 2005, 01:23 am »
Retard as in slow down, right? lol At first, I read that sentence wrong...

And I was trying to do a lot more than action in that video. I was trying to tell the story at the same time (fat chance, I know).

Offline rtexal

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #14 on: August 23 2005, 01:45 am »
haha i think it do show abit. you used scenes that are not used in many other amvs. thats refreshing and nice :)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 24 2005, 09:58 am »
I was trying to go for something different. Something... theatrical. Something most videos don't do.

I'm now using two sites to host my download, since YouSendIt goes down after a week and RapidShare doesn't. I updated the YouSendIt links since that one's faster. You can download from either of the two, but if it works, I recommend using YouSendIt. If not, then download from RapidShare. It's more compatible, and users in Asia won't suffer from so many problems like with YouSendIt. Also, it's faster than YouSendIt for Europeans. Just... the 30-second wait-before-download sucks.

Offline cute_me

• cRAzY fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #16 on: September 02 2005, 09:13 am »

becuase if u are alone
u can't hurt anyone
and u don't have to get hurt

Offline xOLight_AngelOx

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 02 2005, 10:36 am »
i'm downloading now....

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 02 2005, 11:45 am »

Offline xOLight_AngelOx

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 02 2005, 02:11 pm »
its soooooo kool you did a good job

Offline Zeldi

• Former Staff
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Independent Love Song
« Reply #20 on: September 10 2005, 11:49 pm »
I really liked it. Your AMV showed a lot on how sakura has changed so much through the series. ^_^