AuthorTopic: Cardcaptor Sakura: TOKYOPOP Manga vs Dark Horse Omnibus  (Read 15846 times)

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
Before the demise of the TOKYOPOP Forum, I told many in The Official Cardcaptor Sakura Thread that I would do a comparison between the new omnibus released by Dark Horse Comics and the TOKYOPOP manga version. Note that the series I'm comparing is the re-released version and not the original one with the flipped art and left-to-right though I may do it at a later date.

Differences in each one:

* The DHC version is bigger and I don't mean the thickness of the book since it IS an omnibus containing the first three CCS books. The pages are larger though if you look at the art, there are some space around the borders of the pages. In the TP books, the artwork bleeds off the edges, not enough to really notice too much and nothing of any real significence is cut off because of it.

* Since the claim is that DHC utilized the original artwork for their version, to me it shows in the art being more crisp and the shading showing up better. But then again, since the quality of the paper in the DHC version is superior in both quality and whiteness over the TP version, the printing of the artwork stands out that much more.

* TP took out many of the Japanese sound FX which are printed during the action sequences of the manga while the DHC kept them all intact. The translations have only very slight variations but nothing drastic enough to be an annoyance. DHC seems in some point to make the speech sound less informal than its TP counterpart. The lettering, while bigger than the TP version, to me is more appealing to the eyes in the DHC version, varying between using all caps and not, especially during Sakura's summoning of the cards and staff.

* The one thing I liked more in the TP books: "HOE!!!" screamed by Sakura, which is almost her trademark thanks to the anime and the TP translation. No trademark screams in the DHC omnibus.

* Color pages added in the omnibus, some are reprints of posters and of the 'Clow Card' found in the TP version. Nothing new but nice to see some color in what is otherwise CCS' black and white world.

So that's pretty much it in a nutshell. If you have the original TP series, you're really not missing much by not getting the DHC Omnibus but as a collector and die-hard Sakura fan, you bet I got it, as well as the old TP books, the original Japanese books and the bi-lingual books. Later on, I may also do comparisons about those versions as well.

I would love to hear comments from anyone so post them if you want to know more or if you want to add your 2 cents on this. Thanks :)

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline BlushJoy

Re: Cardcaptor Sakura: TOKYOPOP Manga vs Dark Horse Omnibus
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2011, 05:22 am »
"HOE!!!" screamed by Sakura, which is almost her trademark thanks to the anime and the TP translation. No trademark screams in the DHC omnibus.
--

If I hadn't actually watched the anime I would've wondered why Sakura would be calling people hoes. XD

Seriously though, Dark Horse makes great omnibuses, I know I keep harping on about the Clover one I bought but really, loved it so much. :3

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2011, 08:40 am »
"HOE!!!" screamed by Sakura, which is almost her trademark thanks to the anime and the TP translation. No trademark screams in the DHC omnibus.
--

If I hadn't actually watched the anime I would've wondered why Sakura would be calling people hoes. XD

Seriously though, Dark Horse makes great omnibuses, I know I keep harping on about the Clover one I bought but really, loved it so much. :3
I bought the Clover one as well since I couldn't get my hands on the TP version...at least for an affordable price. I also have the two Chobits omnibuses which means I should also do one comparing the TP and DHC versions as well.

"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

Offline BlushJoy

« Reply #3 on: May 06 2011, 12:03 am »
I would certainly be interested in that one! Especially if the omnibus of Chobits has full-color artwork at all. :3

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 06 2011, 11:48 am »
The Chobits omnibus contains color pages and artwork but it also contains colored pages of some of the storyline, similar to the English release of XXXholic. I'll try and do a review comparison of Chobits in the Chobits thread next week or two.

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
Cardcaptor Sakura: TOKYOPOP Manga vs TOKYOPOP original release
« Reply #5 on: May 09 2011, 03:18 am »
In the second part of my comparisons, this one will be the original TOKYOPOP release (which the first two books were released under TP's 'Chix Comix' brand) against the re-release of the 'authenic' manga version.

* The six books that make up the first arc are smaller in size than what we perceive as 'standard size' however in truth they are the exact same size as the Japanese manga books.

* As with many of the earlier manga books translated and released in America, the books read from left to right instead of the original Japanese left to right. Of course the result of this was that ALL of the artwork was flipped (which was delusional for me when I first got them because of the flip, I thought Sakura was a leftie like me!). Because of this, virtually all of the Japanese FX words in the action scenes had to be replaced with English because it's bad enough to have the artwork reversed, we wouldn't want to see Japanese text reversed as well, regardless whether we understood it or not. The result of that is the scenes looking like something out of the old Batman TV series with the 'DOOM' and 'DASH' and similar sound adjectives. The lettering in the book is all generic typeset and not easy on the eyes IMO.

* Hard as it may seem to believe, I found the paper quality of the older set HIGHER than the re-release as TP used white paper for the book, asimilar to Dark Horse' omnibus pages. The more I look back at TP's CCS books (all 12), the quality of paper used (most likely recycled paper material) makes it look very poor in quality overall.

* Alas, no specials in the original run like colored pages, Clow Cards and extra artwork.

Naturally, the old manga release by TP gets the lowest grade purely because of the flipped art and the lettering didn't help but plus points on art and paper quality.

Next time...I compare the CCS bi-lingual bookset to the TOKYOPOP and Dark Horse versions. You will be stunned! Well...maybe not ;)

Offline Arcademan

• Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 14 2011, 02:20 am »
Continuing the comparisons of the different CCS books as the second Dark Horse omnibus has been released, this time I included the rarer bilingual version in this report. Pretty much what I posted in the original first post stands however I focused on some isolated pages, words and phases from each one:

OTP: Original TOKYOPOP (aka Chix Comics) 'flipped' version.
RTP: Re-released TOKYOPOP version
DHC: Dark Horse omnibus version
BIL: Bilingual version.

Note that the artbook on the cover of the second omnibus is from the 6th CCS book, which the BIL version has the most colorful one since it's a dust cover so the color is more vibrant on it.

THE BOOK OF CLOW!!!
OTP: 'If the Seal is broken, Evil will befall this world...'
RTP/DHC: 'Herein lie the Clow Cards...If their seal is broken...Disaster will befall this world...'
BIL: "When the seal is broken- Evil shall be set loose in this world!'

THE INVINCIBLE SPELL
OTP: 'Everything will be alright!'
RTP/DHC: 'I'm sure I'll be all right!'
BIL: 'Everything's going to work out fine! FOR SURE!' (referred to as 'Okay for Sure Magic Spell')
One can debate the true translation as my signature shows a slightly different wording from 'Zettai daijōbu da yo'. (Everything will surely be all right)

The background sound FX have been tweaked like before as the OTP version took out the Japanese symbols and added English sounding FX. When the RTP book came out, they put the original Japanese back in while the DHC and BIL versions use both.

SYAORAN'S RASHINBAN
The little mystic board Syaoran uses to home in on the Clow Cards is called a rashinban however the OTP version called it a 'derivator'  and the BIL a 'Mandala Board'.

Also some tiny little tidbits:

I looked at a page in the fourth book when Sakura is attempting to fly out of The Maze however it keeps growing up. As she screams:
OTP: "WHAAA!!!"
RTP: "HOEEEE!!!"
DHC: "EHHHH?!!"
BIL: "Oh, no!"

A couple of minor stuff with the names as in the OTP version, Cerberus is spelled 'Kerberos' and Yue is spelled 'Yueh'.

Finally, of course the OTP used flipped art which was standard at the time for most mangas released into the U.S. The ROP version had the bonus color cards in them, DHC, while having pages with the cards, does include addition bonus color pages of CCS artwork while the BIL version have them cool dust covers on their books, bringing out the vibrant colors though the pictures on said cover were cut shorted than the other three versions.

Despite the differences in a few things, they don't change any of the meaaning or take away from an outstanding manga series. Dark Horse will continue on with a third book which will cover books 7-9 of the original series which TOKYOPOP released as the "Master of the Clow" series 1-3. No release date has been set for the next omnibus at this time.