AuthorTopic: The Defend Your Pairing Thread  (Read 3901 times)

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
The Defend Your Pairing Thread
« on: October 20 2006, 06:09 am »
Well, we've all been there. You're reading the latest Del Rey volume, watching the newest episode or viewing the latest interview and all of a sudden...

You: Ehhh, WHAT?! >=O

You find a hint that points in the opposite direction of your OTP (KxF  R!S/S  whatever *cough*), what is with that?!

So, if you're convinced your OTP is (or going to be) canon and you're ticked off by an opposing argument/hint then come here and scream about it, defend your pairing!

Me first!

I was just reading the Del Rey version of volume 10 and....

Fai: She looks just like the princess in Kurotan's country, right? You talked even less than usual. But I have to say that your crush on Tomoyo-chan was entertainment in itself, Kuro-rin!

Me: ...>=-O WTF KURO/TOMO NO!  :angry:

Now here's a fan translation.
http://www.msnusers.com/TsubasaReservoirChroniclesOnlineManga/chapter072.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1651

Now, I don't know who fan tranlations were done by this far back, but I'll only trust Pikari! Stupid Del Rey, are they in cahoots with Bee-Train?!

*is rageful*

I posted this in the KxF thread but it'll probably get deleted, so post your anti KuroTomo arguments here and console this enraged KuroFai fan!
lol@Fai/Chi fans

~*~*~*Forum Family~*~*~*~*

Daughter: Kjesta
Sister: Emiko

Offline Moro-dashi

• New Fan
  • Hyuu ~ <3
Re: The Defend Your Pairing Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20 2006, 06:19 am »
Well ,  It's been a while since I read that chapter, but heres my opinion on it.

As I recall, Kurogane just sorta looked annoyed when Fai said that, and didn't start yelling and go balistic. Usually when someone accuses him of something that embarrasses him ( Example- Syaoran telling him he was a kind person), he freaks out and gets all flustered.

Aw! They like each other! <3

Forum Family
Sightless - Mama!

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #2 on: October 20 2006, 06:20 am »
Whoo. I guess I'll C'n'P my posts from the KxF thread too, since technically they were off-topic.

That line can be taken as a purely teasing comment, even if it is worded in a way I don't particularly like, lol!

And yes, I agree with Moro-dashi! Kuro blushes when he gets embarrassed (like when Syaoran called him kind) and he reacted just as he usually does to Fai's brand of teasing.

I think that Del Rey got mixed up by Fai's 'how intriguing, Kuro-rin!' and they took that as Fai LITERALLY implying that he thought Kurogane has a crush on her, which I don't think he was. He was just like, "eeeh, you're not so big and tough, you still have soft spots for people!". I think they were trying to mimic his way of speaking when he teases, and they just found it easiest to use the term crush.

Here's some reasons why I feel KuroTomo would never happen:

1. Tomoyo loved Sakura in CCS. Also, in Piffle, she went right past Kurogane and was crushing on Sakura almost immediately. If the group falls into Nihon, who can honestly say the same thing wouldn't happen?

1 a) Furthermore, if Tomoyo is attracted to people like Sakura (ie, cute, sweet, innocent people) why on EARTH would she be attracted to someone who is the exact physical and emotional opposite of the girl she was obsessed with for so long?

2) Tomoyo sent Kurogane away to learn true strength, presumably the strength found when you protect someone you love. Obviously Kurogane cares for Tomoyo, but she couldn't teach him this lesson. If he loved her, he would have been more willing to change for her, but she had to send him away to meet Fai, Sakura and Syaoran for him to realize this.

3) When he leaves, Tomoyo says, "If fate allows it, we'll meet again". IF. Now, Tomoyo is a dreamseer. If Kurogane and Tomoyo were meant to be together, why would she say "if"? Fate would let them be together if they were meant to be together.

4) Kurogane wants to go home, sure, but would he stay there if they got there? That's definitely not set in stone. He still needs to find FWR and get revenge for his parents. And now he has the responsibility of Fai, too, which he took on willingly.

5) The splash page featuring Kurogane for chapter 124 said, "Inside an endless conflict, the man has begun to understand the reason he fights". Now, in that chapter, there is really only one thing that it could be referring to, and that's Kurogane's decision to save Fai.

6) Tagline for chapter 125: "His companion's feelings have reached him!" Now, this could be referring to Fai finally understanding what Kurogane wants him to do (to live) but in 131, Fai is clearly NOT accepting of Kurogane's choice, and doesn't appear to have any greater desire to live. So, it follows that the 'feelings' in question could only be in referrence to Kurogane's personal feelings (whether those are romantic or platonic) that Fai finally realizes he has.

7) In correspondence to point 6, Fai decides to push Kurogane away because they "got too close". I don't think Fai would necessarily have decided to do this if he was the only one with feelings, because the whole "we're too close" speech was preceeded by an "I don't want to bring misfortune to others", not an "I don't want to get hurt". This could mean that by having feelings for Fai, Fai thinks that Kurogane will get hurt, so he's decided to push him away so that his feelings won't develop any further.

8) I don't know if this would be an issue in Japan, but wouldn't Tomoyo ending up with a man after being a canon lesbian sort of be like saying, "well, she had her crush, now it's time to get serious and find herself a man"? Doesn't seem like a great message to me. Not that bisexuality is bad in any way, but Tomoyo's never shown any romantic inclination towards men. If Clamp intended for her to be with a guy in the end, they might have shown that a little.

9) Tomoyo is a secondary character. If Kurogane was going to end up with her, there would probably be a *lot* more emphasis placed on their relationship.

10) At the beginning, Kurogane says he will only serve Tomoyo. However, THIS WAS IN CHAPTER 5 OR SO. The whole point of the story is that people change. Recall Kurogane and Fai's conversation about change in Piffle? And Kurogane technically protects the whole group, which is essentially what he did for Tomoyo. So that argument? Doesn't hold water. He's devoted to her, yes, but he's also devoted to the group in the same way.

Whew. Honestly, I have no problem with people shipping them, people all like different things and can ship whomever they want as far as I'm concerned, but I don't see them being canon in *any* sense of the word. Though if anyone wants to argue any of the points above, go ahead, I'm open to debate.

11. Oh. Yes. I forgot. Tomoyo looks like Kurogane's mother. So, um, odepial complex, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 21 2006, 03:36 am by Emiko »
Cold be heart and hand and bone
Cold be travelers far from home
They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead

Emiko's Forum Family
Wives: Becster & meliwan <3
Sisters: Kjesta, envyofthestage

Offline Moro-dashi

• New Fan
  • Hyuu ~ <3
« Reply #3 on: October 20 2006, 06:45 am »
"2) Tomoyo sent Kurogane away to learn true strength, presumably the strength found when you protect someone you love. Obviously Kurogane cares for Tomoyo, but she couldn't teach him this lesson. If he loved her, he would have been more willing to change for her, but she had to send him away to meet Fai, Sakura and Syaoran for him to realize this."

But don't think it's possible that this could be because at the time, there was no longer anyone stronger than Kurogane in Nihon, and THAT'S why she couldn't teach him?

Forum Family
Sightless - Mama!

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #4 on: October 20 2006, 08:25 am »
No, because it's a lesson to be learned from the heart, I think that she thinks that true strength has nothing to do with power, etc it's all to do with strength of the heart.
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline INU

• New Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 21 2006, 12:18 am »
YEAAAAH!!! KUROFAI FANS DOMINATE THIS BOARD SO FAR!!! *cheering*

Buuuuut... if no FyeChii fans or no KuroTomo fans come.... it won't be fun.... :cry:

Forum Family
Zharou - Little sis

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #6 on: October 21 2006, 05:26 am »
XD Ah, no matter, we can still be outraged at non-KF hints and cry here.
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21 2006, 12:54 pm »
So...what exactly the point of this thread? To complain about how certain pairings are being handled by CLAMP? Or to start arguments against those who don't agree with statements from others?

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #8 on: October 21 2006, 01:01 pm »
The point of the thread is to Defend Your Pairing.

Lots of people were defending their pairings in threads where it really wasn't on-topic to do so. In the KxF thread, several times the conversation has switched to reasons why KuroTomo or FaiChii is or isn't a threat, and that really isn't on-topic, so this thread was made to keep all posts like that in one place.
Cold be heart and hand and bone
Cold be travelers far from home
They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead

Emiko's Forum Family
Wives: Becster & meliwan <3
Sisters: Kjesta, envyofthestage

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21 2006, 01:14 pm »
Sometimes the ways of you mortals are indeed strange to The Warlord of Clow!!!

Note I'm not trying to stir up a beehive...just figuring out what is up with this thread. If you can make it work, more power to you all :wink:
« Last Edit: October 21 2006, 10:53 pm by Arcademan »

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Moro-dashi

• New Fan
  • Hyuu ~ <3
« Reply #10 on: November 21 2006, 03:05 am »
So again I find myself here at work unable to concentrate because I'm thinking of Kurogane and Fye -- and a thought came to mind. I apologize if what I'm about to suggest has already been brought up. I know that in light of the recent chapters, us KuroFye fans now have a third evil to fight against; Not KuroTomo, Not FyeChii, but...FyeSak. ::Sigh.::

What's been going around in my head is this -- Fye said he needed to distantace himselff from Kurogane because he had gotten to close, and he wanted to avoid being hurt again. I believe that events that have taken place in the last few chapters in their own way speak FOR KuroFye, and not against as some FyeSak fans would believe. I believe that the bond shown between Fye and Sakura proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that when Fye was speaking of Kurogane with Yuko, he was speaking romantically. Why? because he obviously doesn't feel the need to distance himself from EVERYONE -- because as shown by the affection and comfort he and Sakura gave each other, he doesnt feel the need to distance himself from her. So this leads me to believe that he needs to distance himself from anyone who he feels he could be romantically involved with -- in this case KURO-PI.

/rant

Side note - Going by this theory, this also further suggests a past romantic relationship between Fye and Ashura-ou >_>

Forum Family
Sightless - Mama!

Offline KratosAurion

• Good Fan
  • Angel of Cruxis
« Reply #11 on: November 26 2006, 01:02 am »
There's no need to defend SxS, i mean, everyone knows it's gonna happen right? :tongue3:

i better not say anything about KxF or i'll get eaten up by everyone =D