AuthorTopic: About the Del-Rey version  (Read 10967 times)

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
Re: About the Del-Rey version
« Reply #20 on: November 18 2006, 10:43 am »
I think that Fai saying Kurogane's full name is a fairly significant part of the recent chapters, and if they have Fai saying it earlier then that "Good morning, Kurogane" line loses much of it's impact.

Though I agree that the mistakes that Del Rey makes are minor, and I don't like them any less because they mis-translate some things. There's much more good to focus on then there is bad.
Cold be heart and hand and bone
Cold be travelers far from home
They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead

Emiko's Forum Family
Wives: Becster & meliwan <3
Sisters: Kjesta, envyofthestage

Offline Mairi

« Reply #21 on: November 18 2006, 12:19 pm »
They made the "Kurogane" mistake in volume 11 as well, on one of the first pages of the first chapter. u_u;

I agree that it's a tiny mistake (and I won't stop buying Del Rey's version just because of that, they're usually pretty good) but in relation to chapter 130 it becomes a bit of a more important mistake. The only times Fai actually says Kurogane's full name is in Chapter 3 (when they first introduce themselves in Hanshin Republic), and in Chapter 130.

Offline KratosAurion

• Good Fan
  • Angel of Cruxis
« Reply #22 on: November 18 2006, 12:41 pm »
I think that Fai saying Kurogane's full name is a fairly significant part of the recent chapters, and if they have Fai saying it earlier then that "Good morning, Kurogane" line loses much of it's impact.

I think what makes the most impact is the "way" he said it. I mean, with that smiling face that seemed a bit scary to me, the black background and the whole image taking 2 pages. Although it's true that he rarely ever calls him by "Kurogane" till that time...

Offline tsuki

• Dedicated Fan
  • I'm a seiyuu lover~
« Reply #23 on: November 18 2006, 12:57 pm »
Well guys, I'm from Brazil and this year Tsubasa was published here but the stupid-crappy-patetic editor divided each tankohon in two halves and each one of them only comes out every two months (they did the same thing to Holic...). That, and they changed Fay's name to "Phi" (yes, you read that right!! Where the hell did that come from???) and they took out all of Kuro's nicknames and changed it to words in portuguese!!! If that's not enough the translation is also really bad... And it's expansive ¬¬'

I'm reading the scans of course (otherwise I'd have to wait until 2012 to reach the Tokyo Arc ¬¬) but having the manga in hands is a lot better.
I was thinking of buying the Del-Rey version, but I'd like to know your opinion about it first... Is it well made? How about the translation? Is it worth buying it?

I'm gonna have to sell my organs for them (because the shipping tax to Brazil is really really expansive >_<), but I'll do anything for a decent Tsubasa version! i_i

Hmm...I don't know a lot of the translation,scans etc by Del-Rey...But I think the translation they made are good.Even they made a bit mistakes...TOKYOPOP also did the good one.Coz my sis bought LOVELESS vol2 & the translation & the scans are good...

But hey,how dare they change Fye's name!! >< A big difference!!
FYE--->PHI 
Do you see the big difference!?
And Kurogane's nicknames they also change into Portuguese !?
That are ridiculous!! ><

eep. those are weird..i wonder what they'll change "Kuro-sama" iinto (he calls him that in outo) or "kuro-wanko (puppy) Kuro-wan (woof) or when fai calls him "kuro-daddy" >_<

I also agreed with sailoryue,maybe they're really worst!!
And I wonder,who translated it! ><

Cursed Moon

Forum family

~Møon Li - Onee-san

Offline Sandra-chan

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #24 on: November 19 2006, 06:12 am »

Though I agree that the mistakes that Del Rey makes are minor, and I don't like them any less because they mis-translate some things. There's much more good to focus on then there is bad.

I agree, they are usually good translators of TRC,(I've bought many books from them ^^ ) but Fai saying Kuroganes full name is a pretty big misstake. When the later volumes will be realesed, people who only have read DelRey's version will get confused I think.
KuroxFay forever!
Banners made by me ^^

Offline MJ Walker

• I will be the godmother of AllenxRabi's baby <3
  • Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #25 on: November 19 2006, 06:36 am »
I agree with everyone. Del Rey does do good translations on manga, but rarely the grammar is kinda weird.  I also like the way the have the reference pages on the back, it helps me out because I've only bought 2 series from Clamp, holic&tsubasa, so it helps me with character crossovers.

I'm still confused of how they got 'Phi' from 'Fye'. It's sounds like a dog name. It doesn't sound nothing like 'f-EYE' it sounds more like 'f-E' like saying feet. And it does sound like Fye wants to eat Kuro.

Mr. Phi, what side dish do you want with Kuro?

My first siggie on Photoshop! Yeay for me!!
Did System of a Down do the new DeathNote opening!?
Lol

Offline Kazuki

• Just your ordinary BL fangirl
  • Good Fan
  • ~ KuroFay lover ~
« Reply #26 on: December 02 2006, 02:31 am »
The excuse they gave is that his name comes from the greek vowel "phi/fai". I've never heard of that before but they said that Kodansha approved the name so... Who are us, poor fans, to say something against it? ¬¬

Well I bought volumes 6, 7 and 8 from amazon.com and they came two days ago ^^
I'm so happy, they're so pretty *_*~~

I have others US manga (Loveless and Gravitation) and I just love the way the manga there is made... The pages are so white and thick, that makes the books look bigger *_*
The mangas here in Brazil are all made with a thin, "grayish" paper... Kinda like the ones they use to make newspaper, you know (it's not the same paper... I think it's similar to the japanese books)? And it's small and ugly T_T

If I had the money I'd buy soo many books from there...

But there where some things in the translation that were pretty different form the scans... But it's just minor things, so it's ok... The dialog between Kurogane and Fay, in volume 8,  when they are talking about when Fay got drunk in Outo was kind weird... And I found it really surprising that they write the names like this "Ôto", "Seishirô"... We use those "accents" (sorry, I don't know how you call this) in portuguese, but I never thought I'd read them in english XD

And just in those 3 volumes they made Fay say "Kurogane" two times... o.ô

But I'm buying all of the volumes from DelRey, thats for sure! If I could I'd buy Holic as well, but for that I 'd have to get a job first! XD
« Last Edit: December 03 2006, 02:54 am by Kazuki »

Offline Kazemon15

• Neku obessed! WEWY Rocks!. =3
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Currently Digimon obessed. =3
« Reply #27 on: December 02 2006, 05:08 am »
Yeah, Del-Rey has been doing a good job and it's understandable about the mistakes...I noticed also that sometimes Syaoran just calls Fai "Fai" and not "Fai-san" like he always does....but it's understandable, I mean, they're doing the crossover with Holic too, trying to match dialouge perfectly and translating other manga...so tight schedual. As long as we can understand it. ^^

Better than Tokyo Pop T_T ....seriously...I picked up a Chobits manga and Sumomo's name was something else...I go.....huh?

Kurogane: My whole being exists for my master's sake;
my whole being belongs to my master.
I here vow to live by only that on my true name that none but my master knows.
KT anyone? ^_^
AMVs
Fanart
I am a member of Syaoran-Shrine group | TSubasa group
"Someone who understands, admires and loves you isn't a fan; it's a friend." - Kai Hiwatari, Beyblade G Revolution
Manga scan color artist found. < Click to see one scans
Sorry, my fellow Tsubasa fans, Digmon will always be number one above Tsubasa for me. =3

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #28 on: December 03 2006, 02:44 am »
Better than Tokyo Pop T_T ....seriously...I picked up a Chobits manga and Sumomo's name was something else...I go.....huh?

Actually, Sumomo's name was just an English translation of her Japanese name in the TokyoPop version, so in a sense it wasn't a change.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Kazemon15

• Neku obessed! WEWY Rocks!. =3
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Currently Digimon obessed. =3
« Reply #29 on: December 03 2006, 03:53 am »
Ah.....well...Dont like it how they litterally translate names.....^^;; ....can you imagin reading Syaoran as "Little Wolf" Sakura as "Cherry Blossom" and Kurogane as "Black Steel"?

Kurogane: My whole being exists for my master's sake;
my whole being belongs to my master.
I here vow to live by only that on my true name that none but my master knows.
KT anyone? ^_^
AMVs
Fanart
I am a member of Syaoran-Shrine group | TSubasa group
"Someone who understands, admires and loves you isn't a fan; it's a friend." - Kai Hiwatari, Beyblade G Revolution
Manga scan color artist found. < Click to see one scans
Sorry, my fellow Tsubasa fans, Digmon will always be number one above Tsubasa for me. =3