AuthorTopic: Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon  (Read 15993 times)

Offline Time-Machine

• We're all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
  • Donators
  • Great Fan
Re: Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon
« Reply #40 on: March 01 2006, 04:32 pm »
I never did any of the stuff they asked, but the site was pretty accurate about licensing changes and showtimes, which was useful. I ignored all of their petitions. A lot of it was to get Stars dubbed, and keep the dub going, and the dub wasn't very good, so I really didn't care. ^_~

But it's just weird, because back then every single SM fan site had a little SOS banner. It's kind of a fan generation marker. The newer generations of fans don't know it. The banners are gone (and so are a lot of the REALLY good fan sites).

So, am I the only one who really started to enjoy the show because they watched the dub and thought that Tuxedo Mask was incredibly cool, and didn't understand why he was with Sailor Moon. That's why I originally looked the show up online. I loved it, and I wanted to know if the pairing made more sense in the original version (which is does).

Speaking of pairings in the original version, cousins?

Special thanks to Kiramiki for the pic in my siggy and avatar!

Forum Family
little sisters: babypigggy, Quimmy
big sister: Moon Li

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #41 on: March 01 2006, 04:41 pm »
AGGH! Speak not the word 'cousins.' Please, please please. (curls in corner crying, rocking back and forth) Haruka and Michiru are such a beautiful couple... and they were made into cousins! I feel so dirty. Gives an entirely unwanted conotation in my mind to 'kissing cousins.' And I assume everyone knows that in the original version, Zoicite and Kunzite were both men and thus gay lovers, but in the dubbed version Zoicite was made into a woman to make it a straight relationship. Am I the only one who finds it scary that the dubb company didn't have to alter any of art to pass Zoicite off as a woman? (Interestingly enough, in the manga there are no hints whatsoever that Zoicite and Kunzite are lovers, and PGSM also didn't have them as lovers.)

And you know, in the SuperS season, there's an episode with a gay designer; he's shown in a scene or two with his lover. Nothing explicit, but you could tell their relationship wasn't platonic. And the dubbed version made his lover his brother. Because brothers give each other massages and get jealous. Right.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 01 2006, 04:50 pm »
AGGH! Speak not the word 'cousins.' Please, please please. (curls in corner crying, rocking back and forth) Haruka and Michiru are such a beautiful couple... and they were made into cousins! I feel so dirty. Gives an entirely unwanted conotation in my mind to 'kissing cousins.' And I assume everyone knows that in the original version, Zoicite and Kunzite were both men and thus gay lovers, but in the dubbed version Zoicite was made into a woman to make it a straight relationship. Am I the only one who finds it scary that the dubb company didn't have to alter any of art to pass Zoicite off as a woman? (Interestingly enough, in the manga there are no hints whatsoever that Zoicite and Kunzite are lovers, and PGSM also didn't have them as lovers.)

And you know, in the SuperS season, there's an episode with a gay designer; he's shown in a scene or two with his lover. Nothing explicit, but you could tell their relationship wasn't platonic. And the dubbed version made his lover his brother. Because brothers give each other massages and get jealous. Right.

LOL. I remember that episode. In both versions. Even before I read the synopsis of that ep online later, I could totally tell they hadn't been brothers in the original.

They really didn't do a good job with the whole "cousin" thing, either. You could really tell that wasn't the nature of their relationship no matter how they tried to cover it up. Personally I think if they hadn't completely destroyed the first two seasons they wouldn't have been pushed into this corner where they had to make the rest of the series "acceptable" to society's standards of what is appropiate for 6 year olds (a corner that completely screwed over any possibility of Stars getting licensed).

Also in SuperS, similiar to Zoicite, they made FishEye a woman, and didn't have to alter any art or anything. Whenever I hear the song "Dude Look Like a Lady" Zoicite and FishEye are the first people to pop into my mind.

Followed immediately by Hugo Weaving in  Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but that's kind of off topic.

Forum Family

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #43 on: March 01 2006, 05:07 pm »
XD 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.' I haven't seen that movie in years. God, when people would talk about how they would see a combination of Elrond and Agent Smith when they looked at Hugo Weaving, aka 'Agent Elrond,' I'd always chime in about how I saw a transvestite 'Agent Elrond.'

I agree with the whole bit you said about how they pushed themselves into a corner. But if they'd gone ahead with a more faithful version, I'm sure people would have put up a hullaballoo about it. Maybe the controversy would have made it more popular. Either way, Stars will never make it over here officially dubbed. We just have to put up with fansubs. But there are some pretty good fansubs, actually.

And I saw the uncut version of the SuperS season first, so I knew when I saw the edited version that they hadn't been brothers. It was painfully obvious. All in all, that was a fascinating episode, actually, since it had Fish-Eye 'the girl' tearing off 'her' shirt revealing 'her' flat chest. The amount of editing they did to cover up 'her' flat chest was ridiculous. And they did a crappy job of it as well. And they also did an awful job trying to 'cover up' the nature of Haruka and Michiru's relationship. Three words: Hand. Holding. Scene. Enough said.

And another sex change: they made Zirconia a male in the dubbed version! For no reason!
Show content
And it completely ruined the plot point that Zirconia was supposed to be Nehellenia's mirror-image, herself as the old hag she so feared becoming.

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Offline Time-Machine

• Donators
  • Great Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 01 2006, 05:28 pm »
And another sex change: they made Zirconia a male in the dubbed version! For no reason!
Show content
And it completely ruined the plot point that Zirconia was supposed to be Nehellenia's mirror-image, herself as the old hag she so feared becoming.

That really confused me. And ticked me off. The fact that SuperS is the SLOWEST moving of all the seasons is forgivable in the Japanese version due to the coolness of Neherenia, and her depth of character.
Show content
By changing Zirconia, a lot of that was taken away, and the little there was to the overly-drawn out plot was ruined. I was ticked.

Any thought on the whole Ali/En thing? A lot of people really hate that arc, because it was created as filler when the decision was made to continue the series (which was only supposed to have 1 season) to give time to Naoko Takeuchi to build more story and start releasing the new manga she was suddenly contracted to continue.

Personally, I kind of like it. It's cheesy, and the plot isn't very complex, but it's sweet, and has a lot of good Usagi/Mamoru moments.

Forum Family

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #45 on: March 01 2006, 05:47 pm »
Yeah, that change ticked a lot of people off including me. It was completely and utterly pointless and destroyed so much of the strength of what everyone agrees to be the weakest season of SM.

Personally? I like the Ali/En episodes. Like you said, they were cute, and had a lot of good 'Usagi mooning over Mamoru' moments. Tres adorable. And the Moonlight Knight... God, another cheesy incarnation of Mamoru's to squeal over. On a side note, I never got why so many people hated Mamoru. I mean, the guy is a college student who's dating a middle-schooler. That makes it sound a little creepy, but it's love. He puts up with a lot of crap because he loves Usagi.

Offline aishiteru

• dedicated to animes & asian dramas
  • Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #46 on: March 01 2006, 08:03 pm »
On a side note, I never got why so many people hated Mamoru. I mean, the guy is a college student who's dating a middle-schooler. That makes it sound a little creepy, but it's love. He puts up with a lot of crap because he loves Usagi.

.. anyone who can deal with the craziness of Usagi and decides to stay with her must be in love. haha.
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Shiunu

• I've got a hole in me pocket!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
« Reply #47 on: March 05 2006, 06:00 am »
Wow good points everyone. I always thought that was kinda funny how he was like what. .18-19 and Usagi was only 14 at the beginning. :sweatdrop:

Little Sisters: bie liao, babypigggy, Fai, and Okamirei
Fellow Beatle Fangirl: hoshisenshi ^^
Cousins: Hikari_Blaze, aishiteru, Moon Li
Me and bie liao are in love! We never give up on our guys! <3

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #48 on: March 05 2006, 07:08 am »
Wow good points everyone. I always thought that was kinda funny how he was like what. .18-19 and Usagi was only 14 at the beginning. :sweatdrop:

i thought it was 13. but anyways, when i found out usagi was about 13 when sailor moon started i was like.. WOW! haha. i was amazed and well, slightly confused.
"Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does and sometimes consume us completely." - Memoirs of a Geisha[/center]

Offline Shiunu

• I've got a hole in me pocket!
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
« Reply #49 on: March 05 2006, 07:11 am »
Well maybe it was 13 but their schooling is different there. Isn't Usagi in like 8th grade at the beginning? That would make her 14 I guess. Cause here in the U.S. you are supposed to be 13 in the 8th grade.

Little Sisters: bie liao, babypigggy, Fai, and Okamirei
Fellow Beatle Fangirl: hoshisenshi ^^
Cousins: Hikari_Blaze, aishiteru, Moon Li
Me and bie liao are in love! We never give up on our guys! <3

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #50 on: March 05 2006, 07:37 am »
oohhh. i remember watching the episode and she was like.. i'm 13. or something. haha. did she start out in 8th grade? i thought it was 7th.

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #51 on: March 05 2006, 07:39 am »
i thought it was 13. but anyways, when i found out usagi was about 13 when sailor moon started i was like.. WOW! haha. i was amazed and well, slightly confused.
Usagi is 14 in the first season, and as it comes to the last season (Sailor Moon Stars) she ends up 16
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #52 on: March 05 2006, 07:42 am »
Usagi is 14 in the first season, and as it comes to the last season (Sailor Moon Stars) she ends up 16

are you serious?! haha. i would have never guessed. haha. .. that's so.. weird. haha. all those episodes.. all those seasons.. and it was supposed to be spanned within 2 years. wow. i would have never guessed.

Offline Strawberry

• cRAzY fan
  • Strawberries Are Sweet
« Reply #53 on: March 05 2006, 07:56 am »
Yeah, if you watch the very last episode (ep.200) at the end, Usagi introduces herself for the last time and says she is 16. Yeah, and I never thought that the episodes would have been within 2 years of Usagi's life lol. oh, notice in SAilor Moon S, one of the episodes was about Ussagi's birthday and I think thats the time when she turns 15, but I'm not sure where and when she turns 16 lol.
Do NOT under estimate the powers of strawberries

Saikou Ni Happy! Forum / NERV Forum

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #54 on: March 05 2006, 07:58 am »
Yeah, if you watch the very last episode (ep.200) at the end, Usagi introduces herself for the last time and says she is 16. Yeah, and I never thought that the episodes would have been within 2 years of Usagi's life lol. oh, notice in SAilor Moon S, one of the episodes was about Ussagi's birthday and I think thats the time when she turns 15, but I'm not sure where and when she turns 16 lol.

oh yeah, that's right. she does say that she's 16 at the end of the series. i totally forgot about that.

episode 200 was something else. usagi not wanting to fight galaxia?! that was something i wouldn't have expected considering that everyone she loved was gone.

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #55 on: March 05 2006, 08:48 am »
Naoko Takeuchi and the anime producers weren't all that concerned with the timeline consistency. Naoko-sensei did care slightly more than the anime company, but not much. Trying to figure out all the timeline inconsistencies and plotholes in SM is an impossible task.

Here's the best most people can figure:

Anime
8th grade (second year of middle school)- first and second season (classic and R)
9th grade (third year of middle school)- third and fourth season (S and Supers)
10th grade (first year of high school)- fifth season (Stars)

Manga
8th grade- (second year of middle school)- first and second story arc (Dark Kingdom and Black Moon)
9th grade- (third year of middle school)- third story arc (Death Busters)
10th grade- (first year of high school)- fourth and fifth story arc (Supers and Stars)

The Codename wa Sailor V manga, the three-volume prequel manga Naoko-sensei did dealing with the story of Minako and Artemis before they join Usagi and Co., is even more of a nightmare of timeline inconsistency, but it's supposed to take place in the girls' seventh grade year, the first year of middle school.

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #56 on: March 05 2006, 09:03 am »
Naoko Takeuchi and the anime producers weren't all that concerned with the timeline consistency. Naoko-sensei did care slightly more than the anime company, but not much. Trying to figure out all the timeline inconsistencies and plotholes in SM is an impossible task.

Here's the best most people can figure:

Anime
8th grade (second year of middle school)- first and second season (classic and R)
9th grade (third year of middle school)- third and fourth season (S and Supers)
10th grade (first year of high school)- fifth season (Stars)

Manga
8th grade- (second year of middle school)- first and second story arc (Dark Kingdom and Black Moon)
9th grade- (third year of middle school)- third story arc (Death Busters)
10th grade- (first year of high school)- fourth and fifth story arc (Supers and Stars)

The Codename wa Sailor V manga, the three-volume prequel manga Naoko-sensei did dealing with the story of Minako and Artemis before they join Usagi and Co., is even more of a nightmare of timeline inconsistency, but it's supposed to take place in the girls' seventh grade year, the first year of middle school.

they looked so old. haha. thank you for the information, Jeannette!

Offline Sabrina

• Big Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 05 2006, 09:13 am »
err..let's see..Sailor Moon merchandise..

- Mistress 9 figure
- Sailor Moon R-movie
- Sailor Moon stickers
- Almost all SM manga books
- lots of fanart and doujinshis made by me

And here some stuff what I have downloaded from net...bad me.
- almost all music in my computer
- episodes
- games

Who is your favorite villain?
urrmmh...good question...errmm..let's see..I'l choose Amazon Trio :P (tiger eye, hawk eye and fish eye) or then snow queen kaquya (from S-movie)

not-favorite character
urr..I hate Usagi (and when I toldet one of SailorMoon forum they almost kicked/banned me out there XD)..it was kind of war between them when I toldet that I hte Usagi/SailorMoon as character. Hoh..
Life is out of here....

Offline aishiteru

• Dedicated Fan
  • i L0VE syaoran!
« Reply #58 on: March 05 2006, 09:16 am »
err..let's see..Sailor Moon merchandise..

- Mistress 9 figure
- Sailor Moon R-movie
- Sailor Moon stickers
- Almost all SM manga books
- lots of fanart and doujinshis made by me

And here some stuff what I have downloaded from net...bad me.
- almost all music in my computer
- episodes
- games

Who is your favorite villain?
urrmmh...good question...errmm..let's see..I'l choose Amazon Trio :P (tiger eye, hawk eye and fish eye) or then snow queen kaquya (from S-movie)

not-favorite character
urr..I hate Usagi (and when I toldet one of SailorMoon forum they almost kicked/banned me out there XD)..it was kind of war between them when I toldet that I hte Usagi/SailorMoon as character. Hoh..

favorite villian
hmm.. i'd have to say the amazon quartet, only because they became good at the end. and i liked their hair. hahah. and the little ball thingies that they hit all the time!

not-favorite character
that guy who helped out around rei's temple that was like.. terribly in love with rei. he pissed me off.

Offline Sabrina

• Big Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 05 2006, 09:47 am »
favorite villian
hmm.. i'd have to say the amazon quartet, only because they became good at the end. and i liked their hair. hahah. and the little ball thingies that they hit all the time!

not-favorite character
that guy who helped out around rei's temple that was like.. terribly in love with rei. he pissed me off.
You mean Yuuichiro (don't ask what was he's name in americ dups)
Life is out of here....