AuthorTopic: Metal Gear Solid  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
  • Every man dies but not every man really lives
Metal Gear Solid
« on: September 12 2005, 12:30 pm »
Has anyone here played any Metal Gear games? They're made by Hideo Kojima, who is an international legend and gaming icon. He revolutionized the gaming world in the early 1980s by making the first video game with a storyline. He also invented the interactive movie when he released Metal Gear Solid back in 1998. He also directs anime, and all of his games like Metal Gear and Zone of the Enders are made in a kind of style that combines realistic CG with traditionally anime, so I really like the MGS series for alot of reasons. If you haven't played Metal Gear, I definately recommend it if you like twisting, complex high-tech plots. And by the way, the anime Ghost in the Shell was actually greatly influenced by Metal Gear.

Offline Cherry-chan

• Glomping, swooning, stalking, kidnapping, he's been through it all - My Syaoran <3
  • "A True Fan"
  • Syaoran! Where!?
Re: Metal Gear Solid
« Reply #1 on: September 12 2005, 12:37 pm »
Yeah, I played the first metal gear solid, and I've cleared it 4 times. It's one of the few games (the others are Final Fantasy VIII and FFX) that I haven't gotten bored with before I cleared it.
Live life. And love Syaoran. - Cherry-chan
I miss you all, it's unfortunate that I haven't been frequenting this site anymore, but I will keep you all very dear in my heart
I'll try to visit as much as I can.

Offline Alexiel

• Formerly Angelic-Essence
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #2 on: September 12 2005, 07:53 pm »
Yeah, played the first one. Indeed its a great game. I haven't played Sons of Liberty yet though and I have MGS2: Snake Eater. It's pretty nice also *with the intro and so on* a new one that came out was for the DS or PSP... MGS: Acid. uses cards for your moves. lol

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • I'm not Cool, I just Pretend I am...
« Reply #3 on: September 13 2005, 01:57 am »
I liked MGS1 most. MGS2 and MGS3 let me down. MGS2 let me down so that i wasn't excited about MGS3 and when i played that now i'm not even interested in MGS4.
Express the unlimited beauty, within the limited beauty. Beautifully.

Offline Feathered Dreams

• Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page.
« Reply #4 on: September 14 2005, 01:04 pm »
Hehe, I thought Sons of Liberty was.......... ok, but it could have used a better twist at the end. All you really do is reenact what you did in the first one (and I really liked the villains in the first one, Sniper Wolf being my favorite :D), they could have had that "do the same thing" plot for half the game and then changed it in another direction, but it followed through and left me wanting to now just what the heck happened with Snake after he took a dive :keke: (guess that'll have to wait for MGS4)
Snake Eater was the most impressive (not counting The Twin Snakes, that was a great remake) when it came to story and ambience, you also actually feel you're on a mission, rather than just walking around a facility and killing or "putting to sleep" anyone who gets in your way (mostly I'm referring to MGS2 here, the first one kept you on your toes pretty well). Plus, the added difficulties of your stamina, poisoning, wounds and all else (which I know doesn't show much in the easier difficulties, but just try the worst one) really gave you more to think about when you decided to attack a whole bunch of soldiers, or an entire settlement perhaps.

I really love MGS, did it show?   :tongue:
"Did you wish for something that night? In those stars,
there was as much beauty as there was desolation"

^Siggy by me :D

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 19 2005, 09:39 am »
I think my personal favorite was MGS2 Sons of Liberty, though MGS1 by far had the best characters. Solid Snake really became a video game legend after that game, but MGS2's complex story was amazing. I know the ending's twist was a little strange, but the way the Patriots subplot was introduced really turned the series upside down. It had a better story than other video game, in my opinion. I didn't really care for MGS3, though. I thought the story was too basic, and the bosses were too freakish instead of believable like Sniper Wolf and Gray Fox.

As for MGS4, I'm not so sure if I'm excited about it. I really do want to know how they can continue MGS2 after the Patriots subplot was introduced seeing as though no one stands a chance against the Patriots because barely anyone knows who they are, but the game looks a little lame. I saw the  MGS4 trailer, and it shows Solid Snake in his 50s or 60s, fighting on a futuristic battlefield. It looks like he is about to defeated, and he looks so much like Big Boss, so it may be that Solid Snake will become the next Big Boss and be killed as a terrorist. It's amazing how Kojima can link the beginning of the series to the end like that.

Here's the MGS4 trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1743

BTW, the subtitle for MGS4 is "Guns of the Patriots," which sounds terrible. And I thought "Snake Eater" was bad, lol.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #6 on: September 19 2005, 10:10 am »
MGS2's complex story was amazing.
LOL!!
that was pretty funny...

but i think MGS falls second to Splinter Cell for Spying Games.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 19 2005, 12:22 pm »
but i think MGS falls second to Splinter Cell for Spying Games.

Dude! Are you kidding me? Splinter Cell is a crime to humanity. They even admitted to totalling ripping off Metal Gear Solid. If Kojima wasn't such a nice guy, he could easily have a lawsuit and sue their pants off for totally ripping him off and crapifying Metal Gear. No offense, but Splinter Cell is nothing but a majorly dumbed down version of MG with lamer, slower gameplay and a much less cool hero. Metal Gear >>>>>>> Splinter Cell and Solid Snake >>>>>> Sam Fisher. It came first, and it still owns the stealth genre.

As for MGS2, you should go download the Making of MGS2 Video and watch it. There is a ton of symbolism that you probably didn't understand especially if you only played it once or twice. It's just one of those games that you have to put the pieces of the puzzles together, especially to figure out who the Patriots are. Once you figure that out, you realize it's quite a brilliant story that really relates well to the real world more than any other video game. It didn't win Gamespy and Gamespot's 2001 Game of the Year for nothing.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #8 on: September 19 2005, 07:51 pm »
man you need to calm down, In terms to gameplay Splinter Cell slaughters Metal Gear, Simply because Splinter Cell is far more real and accurate, You can play that game just like a pro. Metal Gear is very dumbed down, Its just not as serious as it should be, They talk about destruction of the world? and its all anime style... yea thats just so realistic. Splinter Cell even has Two Player which is pretty darn decent. Although MGS was brilliant mainly because of the awesome story line and unlike MGS2 (where all the areas basically looked the same, no denying it) MGS was unique. MGS3 i think was stretched Further than it should of, but thats just what me and everyone else i know think, no biggie right?

and oh please, i probably know more about MGS2 than you anyway. i had one of the first copies in the UK before the release, not only that i've completed it plenty times and its only fun because of the stealth and inf ammo. but other than that it's pretty lame. If you want realy Spy/Stealth games with much better graphics and gameply just go look at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, 1T PWNS YR A$$!!! LAWL! haha just kidding...or am i? *DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNNN*

anyway: i like games like Splinter Cell because unlike MGS you have to tactically plan it all out and not get spotted, MGS you can run through the entire game and not sneak at all. when its a stealth game and your not sneaking Its MISSED THE POINT. Splinter Cell is a STEALTH game unlike MGS. so i'm talking about pure gameplay is better. plus the graphics are still so much better.
« Last Edit: September 20 2005, 05:34 am by VexNet »

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 20 2005, 10:46 am »
You can like Splinter Cell better, I didn't really mean that, and it's really a matter of opinion which game is more enjoyable, but according to critics and the vast majority of the gaming world, Metal Gear Solid blows Splinter Cell out of the water. I think what makes Metal Gear's gameplay so good is actually that it goes beyond stealth. I mean sure stealth is more stressed and more advanced in Splinter Cell, but when you're spotted in Metal Gear, it becomes more of a third person shooter, which adds another level of fun to the gameplay. There's also alot of battle tactics involved in MGS like selecting which weapon to use while most of the shooting in Splinter Cell is only done with a pistol.

I'm just saying that you're missing a great gaming experience. You sound pretty close minded to the magic realism of Metal Gear Solid. Sure, some things are a little farfetched, but it's the way that magic realism breaks the fourth wall and reaches out to the player that makes it one of the greatest video game stories in existence at least according to a large number of gamers. I thought MGS2's story was trash the first two play throughs, but when I figured things out like Raiden represents the player, the Patriots represent the society that manipulates us through the media and other memes, and Solid Snake represents the ability to break away and find the freedom to choose, the story really comes together. If you open your mind and your imagination, it's a very rewarding experience in which the genius Hideo Kojima teaches you alot about a new outlook on life. It's something that you could never get from a cliched Tom Clancy story like Splinter Cell. I also tend to disagree about graphics, because Splinter Cell's character models look a little blocky while MGS games have always been praised for having the most sophisticated character model for any video game to date.

And if you don't believe the popular vote goes to MGS, then check these links out for evidence:
IGN's Top 25 Playstation Games of All-Time List (Notice who's #1)
Gamespy's Top 25 Playstation Games of All-Time List (Notice who's #1)
Gamespot's Metal Gear Solid 2 Review (Score: 9.6 on PS2, 8.7 on Xbox)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Review (Score: 8.6 on Xbox, 7.1 on PS2)

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #10 on: September 20 2005, 07:11 pm »
I'm just saying that you're missing a great gaming experience. You sound pretty close minded to the magic realism of Metal Gear Solid.
I've probably completed MGS2 more times THAN YOU!!!
and i probably have a more open mind Than You!

and I'm still talking about SPYING!! and your talking about "007 First Person shooting" in MGS (i call it 007 because it's not the shooting a REAL spy game would use, MGS you get some really stupid weapons), Which isn't spying so that in itself fails the stealth Genre. (ever notice how teh violent games get high scores? *coughGTAcough* Plus whats the point of bringing MGS1 into this? I told you that game was far better than MGS2 because it was Unique and had a new idea, MGS2 was a poor turn out) And if you were to actually get off your butt and PLAY Splinter Cell you will see which is much more professional in thier Spying and Stealthing.
heck, you even Admitted that MGS wasn't as good as Splinter Cell when you get spotted. Well Done! (because in MGS you can get spotted, in SC your NOT supposed to ever be caught).

If you want to rank MGS as a  run around shooting game with funny ad-libs, then its great. but its not a stealth spying experiance, nowhere close. I've played both games and playing Splinter Cell you sense a whole are of realism, Sound, Light and Sneaking are the three main things every Spy game should have. MGS only has "shoot every enemy" type of style, that is NOT spying.

Adarian... piece of advice. Going for the Popular vote isn't always right. Sometimes it just shows how sad you are that you have to join in with the crowd (in video games makes up a high percentage of teenagers remmember, do you think they really care about real stealth? with patience, percision and dedication or killing lots of people? like in MGS where you can spend your time running about killing people in all sorts of ways and still managing to beat the ENTIRE game in about an hour).

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 26 2005, 11:36 pm »
It doesn't matter if you've beaten MGS2 9999999999999 times if you don't understand the first thing about it's story, and that right there proves you have such a closed mind. Just open your mind and think, that's the message of MGS2. I'll explain it to you:

MGS2 = S3
Patriots = Kojima
Raiden = You

The message of MGS2 is to sift through all the information we are presented with from society and filter out the BS by thinking for ourselves.

And what makes MGS2's story so spectacular is that even the Big Shell is a symbol of the BS that we must filter out, because the Big Shell place was not what it really appeared to be at first and the acronym was there for a reason, and parts of MGS2 were intentionally  written confusing to show that truth is not always easy to distinguish. Now tell me, is Splinter Cell that deep? I think not.

MGS's gameplay > Splinter Cell's. SC may be a better spy game but MGS is a much much better action game, because it's not just spying, it goes beyond that, and it touches on all sorts of gameplay from strategy to even role-playing at times. It's not supposed to straight stealth like SC is, and it's much more intelligent than SC, especially MGS2 with a storyline that is over the head for people who prefer a more simple minded Tom Clancy story. MGS3's story, however, was a very dumbed down political story like Splinter Cell, and probably the only Metal Gear game that got too unrealistic.

And I have both Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow and have invested several hours of gameplay into them, but both games are rather dull in terms of story and gameplay. I hardly consider the storyline to be realistic either. It's typical Tom Clancy fluff.

Popular vote isn't always right, but about 95% of the gaming world knows that Metal Gear is a heck of a game series and it's at the top for good reason. You can like Splinter Cell, but it just doesn't compete with Metal Gear on so many levels especially storyline. . And you can't beat an MGS game in 1 hour. The fastest play through is maybe 3 hours if you skip all the cinematics, but that's because the gameplay is secondary to the storyline and of course it gets easier after the first time now that you know how to solve all the puzzles and do everything, but MGS2 is still worth playing over because of all the secrets, easter eggs, and alternate decisions in the game that help you understand the story better.
« Last Edit: September 27 2005, 01:37 am by Adarian »

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #12 on: September 27 2005, 01:48 am »
damnit man, what the hell is wrong with you?
yes, METAL GEAR SOLID was a kick *** game, MGS2+ were Not.

and what was the point of pointing that out about MGS2? I KNEW THAT!!!!
are you really that stupid to think i don't know this stuff, I told you, i probably know more about the game than YOU!!

and to end teh WHOLE DISCUSSION:
SC may be a better spy game
thank you, i end my point.
and how the hell is MGS2 more smarter than SC? MGS2 is like the retarded brother of SC. MGS2 should learn some tricks that SC has done.
and typical tom clancy? OK, MGS2 is typical Kojima, eat that.

and just for refrence, my fastest time completing MGS2 was 1hour 15minutes. So don't tell me i can't do something i have done.

no matter what you say, there is nothing you can say to prove its better.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27 2005, 08:16 am »
Your posts are full of ignorance. That's why this discussion has gone nowhere. You're just repeating yourself.

damnit man, what the hell is wrong with you?
yes, METAL GEAR SOLID was a kick *** game, MGS2+ were Not.
MGS2 was one of the most acclaimed and highest rated PS2 games of all-time, not to mention it's still the best selling PS2 game ever. Just because you don't like it, doesn't change the fact that it's one of the best games ever.

and what was the point of pointing that out about MGS2? I KNEW THAT!!!!
are you really that stupid to think i don't know this stuff, I told you, i probably know more about the game than YOU!!
Doubtful. There's no way you could have known all that without being enthralled with MGS2's story, and I know for a fact that I know more about MGS2 than you do because of how badly you're downplaying it just like I did after I beat it the first time. I saw it first hand at the Tokyo Game Show in 2000, I've seen the making of MGS2 movie, and I spent months just analyzing the story and realizing the symbols in it for myself. It's so deep and thought-provoking that although I posted the main point of MGS2 that's really just the tip of the iceberg. That's where Splinter Cell's depth falls short - very short.

and to end teh WHOLE DISCUSSION:thank you, i end my point.
and how the hell is MGS2 more smarter than SC? MGS2 is like the retarded brother of SC. MGS2 should learn some tricks that SC has done.
In terms of spying, SC is better because SC's main issue is espionage, but in terms of just about everything else, MGS2 is just higher caliber. To say that MGS2 is the retarded brother of SC is like saying The Matrix is the retarded brother of Battlefield Earth or something. Metal Gear Solid 2's subplot of the Patriots is so subtle and deep and really captures the real-life problems of today's world of the dangers of ignorance and lack of individual thought. I could go on for days, but it would be better if you realized MGS2's true depth for yourself. Splinter Cell is just another Tom Clancy political thriller about the USA owning it up in foreign countries in secret. Don't try to tell me that's smart or realistic.

and typical tom clancy? OK, MGS2 is typical Kojima, eat that.
Kojima is brilliant, so therefore you've just admitted MGS2 is brilliant.

and just for refrence, my fastest time completing MGS2 was 1hour 15minutes. So don't tell me i can't do something i have done.
Either you did that on Very Easy mode or you just did the Tanker chapter. Try playing Euro Extreme mode.

no matter what you say, there is nothing you can say to prove its better.
If the fact that Metal Gear Solid 2 gets higher marks from every known game review site, sells about ten times better, and is much more commonly liked and praised than SC isn't proof that it's better then I don't know what is. By that logic, no one can prove CCS is better than Cardcaptors. Let's not forget that Metal Gear originated in the early 1980s. That's way before Splinter Cell got started, and even the developers of SC have admitted that the SC video games were greatly inspired if not ripped-off of the Metal Gear Solid series.

So when you really think about it, Splinter Cell is nothing more than the Americanized rip-off version of Metal Gear. To explain this, here's a few analogies:
The Ring is to Ringu as Splinter Cell is to Metal Gear
Magnificent Seven is to Seven Samurai as Splinter Cell is to Metal Gear
Cardcaptors is to Cardcaptor Sakura as Splinter Cell is to Metal Gear

and...

Sam Fisher is to Solid Snake as Sakura Avalon is to Sakura Kinomoto (or as Madison is to Tomoyo)

Now, decide which game you really like better. End of argument.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #14 on: September 27 2005, 08:33 am »
Doubtful. There's no way you could have known all that without being enthralled with MGS2's story, and I know for a fact that I know more about MGS2 than you do because of how badly you're downplaying it just like I did after I beat it the first time. I saw it first hand at the Tokyo Game Show in 2000, I've seen the making of MGS2 movie, and I spent months just analyzing the story and realizing the symbols in it for myself. It's so deep and thought-provoking that although I posted the main point of MGS2 that's really just the tip of the iceberg..
well just you saying that has pissed me off.

and guess what? your just making me like Splinter Cell more. Thank god i'm not a MGS fanboy like you :keke:

(plus you seem to be forgetting, i've been talking about SPYING games, and your talking about Action games. and you even SAID "In terms of spying, SC is better because SC's main issue is espionage". so thats he end right there)

stop prying on your MGS fanboy fat *** and start re-reading my posts damnit. If i wanted to talk about ACTION games then i may agree with you. shame that i'm not.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 27 2005, 10:49 am »
You've already lost the argument when you resorted to personal attacks. Give it up. You clearly stated numerous times that Splinter Cell is a better overall game than Metal Gear when it isn't, so don't even try to change the argument.

I'm not a MGS fanboy. If I was, I would like MGS3 the best and  flamed you about everything, but I recognize that Kojima isn't God-like and makes crap games like MGS3 once in a while. Besides I'm not blind to the fact that MGS2 isn't perfect, but I do know it is the one of the best selling and highest rated games of all-time and that is much more popular and praised than the SC games could ever hope to be. Splinter Cell is the game you like better, but the stats show it's inferior and it doesn't take a literary critique to know that MGS, especially MGS2, is the smarter and better thought-out game.

Your blind obsession with SC seems way more fanboyish, but if you want to get the Americanized version of a tactical espionage action masterpiece (with 90% of the action taken out to concentrate on stealth) then go ahead, it's none of my business, but don't complain when a Metal Gear game always wins best action game over Splinter Cell. Alright? I'm not saying anymore. Peace.

Offline snowangel

• Good Fan
  • Personal text here! Edit this on your profile page
« Reply #16 on: September 27 2005, 02:49 pm »
I personally enjoyed playing MSG2 and seeing the realtime clips that came with it. I really like the story and the meaning behind it epsecially the ending left me a lot to think about.

MSG3 had it's good points though I hated going through that dream like sequence where those bizillion zombies/ghost things were coming at you. And that side game with the monkeys makes me want to rip my hair out. But there were beautiful sequences like fight the "boss" And ... frankly Snake just look hot in that game.

Er don't read on if you don't want to know about MSG4 ...
I've seen the trailer for MSG4. I don't know what to really make of it yet since it's not even out to be played yet. Graphics wise things are looking great, the detail on Snake's skin is incredible. I guess that's why the set the story a bit further ahead in the future to max out the technology that PS3 will have. It'll take some getting use to, to and aged Snake but nonetheless I can't wait for the fourth installment of this series.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #17 on: September 27 2005, 07:58 pm »
You've already lost the argument when you resorted to personal attacks. Give it up. You clearly stated numerous times that Splinter Cell is a better overall game than Metal Gear when it isn't, so don't even try to change the argument.

I'm not a MGS fanboy. If I was, I would like MGS3 the best and flamed you about everything, but I recognize that Kojima isn't God-like and makes crap games like MGS3 once in a while. Besides I'm not blind to the fact that MGS2 isn't perfect, but I do know it is the one of the best selling and highest rated games of all-time and that is much more popular and praised than the SC games could ever hope to be. Splinter Cell is the game you like better, but the stats show it's inferior and it doesn't take a literary critique to know that MGS, especially MGS2, is the smarter and better thought-out game.

Your blind obsession with SC seems way more fanboyish, but if you want to get the Americanized version of a tactical espionage action masterpiece (with 90% of the action taken out to concentrate on stealth) then go ahead, it's none of my business, but don't complain when a Metal Gear game always wins best action game over Splinter Cell. Alright? I'm not saying anymore. Peace.

gee, what else am i gonna do then? if your in my position you'd resort to personal attacks too, because your not in my position.

and how many freaking times am i gonna say this. SPLINTER CELL IS BETTER FOR SPYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
because frankly MGS is piss poor at spying, i'm not going to back down until i actually SEE EVIDENCE of better gameplay.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 28 2005, 05:44 am »
I personally enjoyed playing MSG2 and seeing the realtime clips that came with it. I really like the story and the meaning behind it epsecially the ending left me a lot to think about.

MSG3 had it's good points though I hated going through that dream like sequence where those bizillion zombies/ghost things were coming at you. And that side game with the monkeys makes me want to rip my hair out. But there were beautiful sequences like fight the "boss" And ... frankly Snake just look hot in that game.

Er don't read on if you don't want to know about MSG4 ...
I've seen the trailer for MSG4. I don't know what to really make of it yet since it's not even out to be played yet. Graphics wise things are looking great, the detail on Snake's skin is incredible. I guess that's why the set the story a bit further ahead in the future to max out the technology that PS3 will have. It'll take some getting use to, to and aged Snake but nonetheless I can't wait for the fourth installment of this series.

Yeah, I agree completely with what you said about MGS2 and about MGS3 having its moments but definately the duller moments like the ones with Eva dragged it down. And I think Hideo Kojima wants to wrap up the Metal Gear Solid saga, so he has made Snake alot older because he wants to portray him like the next Big Boss. At any rate, I agree that it is going to take a while to get used to it, but I'm looking forward to it as well.

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #19 on: September 28 2005, 06:01 am »
i reckon those spoof movies Kojima released were pretty funny for MGS3.
Metal Gear Signet, hehe i loved that one.

Offline Adarian

• Master of the Cards
  • Good Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 29 2005, 03:48 pm »
Yeah, that one was funny. Have you seen Metal Gear Raiden: Snake Eraser, the MGS3: Subsistence trailer? It's pretty funny. And the joke MGS4 E3 trailer was hilarious. I love those previews. Kojima's the man, what can I say? :D

Offline monkey

• Puppy-kun
  • *Freak Fan?!*
« Reply #21 on: September 30 2005, 01:17 am »
i don't like Kojima, his best game was probably Z.O.E
while Konami itself i think topped themselves with PES4...etc